Sign in to follow this  
J!m

Attention lume masters: A challenge!

J!m

Ok so I love my vintage pieces. Predominantly Rolex, but that doesn't matter really.

My challenge to the lume experts is this: Make me some lume that looks like creamy, carefully aged Tritium that has a faint glow, (now here's what I think is the tricky part): that LASTS all night!

I'm not looking for lume like my Gen PO that lights up a dark room; however I'd love to be able to read the time in a dark room 10 minutes after the lights go out. Maybe even an hour after the lights go out.

Anyone have any experience with long lasting lume that is not terribly bright?

I think getting the daylight color right is no problem. I think the glow color (green) is no problem. But I think the time the lume lasts is in proportion to the amount of lume in an area, and diluting the lume with other stuff will just make it weak and die soon, like standard rep issue vintage lume. Maybe a weaker, inferior lume powder mixed with superluminova would give the desired result?

In reality, lume 20+ years old generally doesn't work well, if at all. My Tag Heuer from 1987 has no glow left now. But, these are reps, and we make the rules, right?

Anyone up for the challenge? (easier than black lume I think...)

No cash prize, but you get bragging rights and, if sucessful, work from me to have some dials and hands re-lumed (maybe even my Gen Tag)

Thanks!

DR3M3L

I'm in :D The black lume was a success, so why should this be hard?

Going to try it out tomorrow evening or saturday :)

DR3M3L

By the way, any pic of the daylight color you want to reach? By words it'll be quite hard :P

J!m

Here's a few examples:

002.jpg

5512build032.jpg

1967-5512dial.jpg

gen 5512

tag001.jpg

Tag Heuer

peteins

Interesting challenge, however, I would have thought there would be a Lume like this out there already? I'm sure someone one of the homage forums will know of something similar .... Maybe

J!m

It seems the lume we have is either dim and short lived or bright and long lived. I'd like dim but long lived... A vintage piece with screaming lume is the biggest tell there is! We obsess over font styles on a four-line dial and get it re-lumed to retina scorching levels... I don't understand that, but that is another subject I think.

Just a gentle, warm glow for 2-4 hours would be great. The beauty of the vintage stuff is how understated it is.

TheSav

Good luck. I'd be very interested to see some good results.

J!m

Me too!

Kleen™

Fuck - I WANT A PROPER 5517 REP. ON DA DOUBLE!

J!m

You ned to do a lot of hand work to get the details right.

Dial is not good on mine, but otherwise as close as I can get:

002.jpg

I have some new gen damage to this now as well. Crystal has some nice scars forming.... (need a new pic)

EOW

002.jpg

now that's classy

Kleen™

002.jpg

I have some new gen damage to this now as well. Crystal has some nice scars forming.... (need a new pic)

Yes, that is where my frustration stems from: In my eyes the 5517 is the most beautiful (and rare) toolwatch Rolex has ever created - but the lack of a proper rep just tortures me. It is such a kewl watch...

The Steinhart OVM is the closest I've gotten so far.

DR3M3L

I'll work on some mixes this weekend.

J!m

now that's classy

Thank you! A labor of love...

J!m

002.jpg

Yes, that is where my frustration stems from: In my eyes the 5517 is the most beautiful (and rare) toolwatch Rolex has ever created - but the lack of a proper rep just tortures me. It is such a kewl watch...

The Steinhart OVM is the closest I've gotten so far.

It IS a great piece. My dial is crap, but the "good" dials are for gen movement, and I am running an Eta 2879 in mine (lower beat rate but still higher than gen) and may just go for the gen movement so I am waiting on my dial purchase... Seconds hand I had to reshape by hand because it was not good enough. Still not perfect, but closer.. Case has proper fixed bars but the gasket is in the case, not the back. It IS a 5517 marked case back but as soon as it is off there is no doubt this is a rep.

G-S crystal is outstanding, and the WO990 bezel and insert looks and works great. Gen 703 crown and WO990 tube.

J!m

Ok lume masters.... Time is up!

I received a new Whoopy dial for the 5517 and it is a leap In Quality over the one I have.

I need lume applied (it has none) and will have the hands done at the Same time to match. Movement is due for service as well so I could sent the entire watch rather than parts... Maybe have the dial on there do e too for better resale value...

Then my 5512 needs service (Rolex 1570 movement) and also re lume...

This could be a nice chunk of work for the right (read: qualified) person. Perhaps Rolex addict? Anyway, the lume needs to be right.

Pm or post here!

black263

002.jpg

now that's classy

Just received the Steinhart OVM homage.

ovm_zpsac2aab75.jpg

DeLaForce

You should contact akira on HF or RWG next door.

J!m

I am a member here and RWI only... Is he a member over at RWI by chance? Or, do you have direct contact info? I have some work!

elp

KeNnY has done some nice vintage work for me on a Rolerai. He may have a cool formula for what OP needs.

WP_20131220_025_zps9b992229.jpg

WP_20131220_029_zps1b7eef84.jpg

edwinowl

015b71b6646a8945fe70d581a8f91060.jpg

This does bro, holio Cornolio from over on HF. Lasts all night bit (bit like I used to) lol. Lumes difficult to prove though .. How's the colour?

DR3M3L
015b71b6646a8945fe70d581a8f91060.jpg

This does bro, holio Cornolio from over on HF. Lasts all night bit (bit like I used to) lol. Lumes difficult to prove though .. How's the colour?

That lume..... It looks shit IMO :lmao: Looks like a kid applied it.... Or is this as it should be? :o

cwazy1

take a standard pigment, tint with tan coloration and you'll have something that doesnt glow very bright but lasts as long as standard superluminova.

KeNnY

see this

dial_01.gif

and then this

image268.gif

and count down the initial glowness and the glowing by time from it

J!m

First picture did not load... I am aware of the second (brightness chart) but dont know the total glow time of each pigment.

I know you do great lume work, but do you service Eta and Rolex movements too?

C3 dense may be what I want...

Edited by J!m