Sign in to follow this  
jmac3789

What would you do? Watchsmith advice needed!

jmac3789

Ordered and received the 15400 AP with Miyota movement from toro. Upon adjusting the bracelet (having posession of the watch for 5 minutes) one of the screws broke in half inside the link and is now permanently lodged in there. The other half of the screw cannot be screwed back in and now that link cannot be removed from the bracelet.I brought the watch to two watchsmiths in the diamond district here in NYC. All they could do for me was compliment me on what a great rep it was. Neither could get the bit of screw out of the bracelet. Of course the screw is stuck in the 1st link attached to the clasp. This means I cannot simply remove 2 links on that side and that the bracelet is now un-adjustable. Toro wants me to ship the bracelet back to china... If it ever gets there I will likely have to wait months to see a replacement. In my eyes this is simply not an option. He wants $100 for a replacement, which I think is also a bit unrealistic. I guess I am down to fixing the watch myself. Thinking about trying to drill it out. Not sure if thats a great idea! Right now I am looking at a $500 paperweight.

SSTEEL

Pm received, will reply now.

seclark007

You may choose to source a leather strap while getting the bracelet fixed. The benefit here is that you would then have flexibility in your looks...

agntkerr

Go on the bay or a TD to get a replacement strap. Better yet maybe post a want to buy thread. I am sure many us have extra straps/bracelets around. At lease its not a movement problem. :thumbsup:

jmac3789

You may choose to source a leather strap while getting the bracelet fixed. The benefit here is that you would then have flexibility in your looks...

are they available for the 15400?

seclark007

anything can be available for the right price..... :)

Throw up a WTB thread...I'm sure you'll get a hit...also try the strap makers...might as well get a nice croc or something for it if you're gonna go down that road.

plankton

Drill out the other side and use an easy out.

parisianshut

i am wainting for mine... now i am a bit scared of the overall quality of this version ...

jmac3789

The quality is good overall. A reliable movement is worth dealing with a crappy screw

P4GTR

Can u show a pic of the issue and overall link setup?

Might be able to drill through it, only losing one spare link.

Not your first problem with a royal oak bracelet, they don't like you!

JSJ

Drill out the other side and use an easy out.

CAn you get easyouts this small? If so, I want a set. I have normal sized ones.

J!m

Easy outs generally don't go down to remove much smaller than a number 10 screw(and that is risky).

Get left handed drill bits- it is the best chance fir success with tiny screws and also how I remove broken threaded crown tubes.

Good luck!

SSTEEL

Congrats on getting the screw out ;)