Sign in to follow this  
Ska

A7750 Seconds @ 9 Mod Keyless works (I think)

Ska

Hi Gents.

Opening this one up to the board.

My UPO Chronograph with modified A7750 had a small issue on arrival in that the crown tube had a stripped thread. I ordered genuine replacement parts from Cousins UK and swapped them out as per the tutorial on RWI.

However I've encountered a problem.

The new crown and tube were fine, a perfect fit and an easy mod however when trying to screw down the crown once I was finished I encountered an odd problem.

When I fully depress the crown in order to screw it down, the winding mechanism doesn't disengage.

There should be four click positions on this stem, going from pulled completely out and progressively inwards they are:

1. Time setting

2. Date setting

3. Winding

4. Disengaged (free-wheeling) to allow the crown to be screwed down.

Number 4 cannot be attained.

At first I thought that I might have screwed the stem too far into the new crown making it shorter however I tested that by placing the movement in a holder and inserting the stem to no avail.

SOOOOO

Having spoken to the likes of Brightlight, Offshore and Kink, I'm pretty sure the keyless works are screwed up. I should also mention that there was a tiny retaining clip (like a split washer) of about 1.5mm diameter floating about inside the case when I took the back off.

I'll post photos tonight when I get home but for now, if anyone thinks they might be able to help I'd appreciate it. I can always send it back to Mary for a repair/replacement, I don't mind paying at all, I've just always preferred tinkering and solving these kind of things myself.

I don't want to fuck the movement though so I'm opening this one up to the floor.

Thanks

Ska :cheerleader2:

dingle

watch breaking wizard # 2 will be your new title :lol:

seriously tho. It sucks. I had an issue with my 183. Did you try rotating the crown as you pushed it in? Sconey taught me that trick and it worked like a charm. good luck.

greg_r

Have a word with Domenico (Domi) in Germany. He's a member here, but is a resident watchsmith over on RWI. He may well be able to sort it out for you.

sconehead

RolexAddict has some expertise on 7750's, try pm'ing him regarding the retaining clip. Sometimes it takes several tries to get the stem inserted correctly, push it in gently and spin it slightly while gently pressing it home, you may get lucky mate.

...in the meantime, this may help, http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/7750/7750.html

Ska

Thanks guys!

debian

What happened to this one?

I have the same problem on my new AP sec@12, that the the winding mechanism doesn't disengage....

grb

I'd like some assistance on this my PAM288 setting the time doesn't disengage, when screwing down the crown it continues to wind.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

MikeMcNair

sounds like the keyless simply needs a reset, also, the reversing wheel could be the culprit (if rotor spins while winding also)

prestigewatchco

G thats not unusual for screw down crowns on 7750 with spring loaded crowns it usually disengages about half way screwing it down

grb

Phew thanks for that RJ I was just a bit concerned it was going round while I changed the time.... this is technical for I thought I f..ked up

MikeMcNair

i just reread what you were asking (i though it was about the OPs Q) and i have seen many watches that wind as you screw in the crown, never paid them any mind to be honest. hell, i have to check, but i think my DSSD does.