Sign in to follow this  
Genius

Replica Strap for Vintage Seamaster Omega

Genius

I know a lot of people will think this is sacrilege but I have an old '60s I think Seamaster that I have just got hold of and I want to start using it as my everyday watch, but the strap is not in great condition....

It is currently on a Original Leather strap which is OK but not perfect and I want a nice steel strap that will match well with it, Ideally one that looks like an original Omega and has the Omega logo on it. I have had a look round the dealers websites and on the forum but struggling to find anything that would match this vintage watch other than another leather strap but I don't like leather on my daily watches.

I have seen a few go on ebay but they are all going for £150+ for an original vintage strap in steel, and having just sent Reg £106 for a milgauss and really wanting one of his Yacht Master reps too I was hoping to spend considerably less for a strap for this one that I can get a whole watch from Reg.

I have measured the watch and it is 18mm at the ends so if anyone can point me in the right direction for a nice strap to fit I would really appreciate. To be honest I will probably end up splashing out on an original vintage strap for it at some point but its not likely before next year as I have other watches I want to buy first

Picture of the Omega:

IMG_20140507_191721.jpg

J!m

This probably never was offered on a bracelet, but I would check with ofrei.com as they stock a lot of Omega parts

I will be very suprised if you can find a vintage rep bracelet for this watch. Plus it looks great on leather!

Genius

I know it looks good on the leather but its starting to crack a bit in places and whilst I dont mind leather straps for occasionally wearing I cant live with one day in day out.

I had already looked on ofriei but I can get 2 maybe 3 complete reps for the price of 1 strap.

Thanks for the info tho, I may just keep this for special occasions on the leather strap

houndoggie

a super thin gator strap would look great. or a speidoflex.

fetasigma

get a expandable bracelet......thats what mine came on from my grandfather....i dont think they ever came witth a real bracelet from the factory....but i tell you what a mahogony croc from serge really makes them nice. here is my late 50's omega tressor

FD190BF2-169F-454D-81AD-3122CEAD5235-709-00000031CBFAA89F_zps2b5bf7eb.jpg

C0033173-5E57-4A65-8343-6A7EEAD1B0EE-709-00000031BDC65B8A_zps90fb2663.jpg

165FF88F-1250-48E9-A24C-CFAD194ED825-709-00000031BB335D8E_zps400ef0e2.jpg

Edited by fetasigma

J!m

It's your watch so do what you feel a right for it.

I say get a nice Hirsch waterproof leather for durability, or some nice gator or other rare hide for a classier look.

Martinjogs

If this has a gilt face it probably won't look right with a steel bracelet anyway, also not sure how many of these were originally sold with a bracelet. Mostly the smaller Omega goes well with a simple but stylish thin leather strap. This is mine...

image_zpscb2da00d.jpg

J!m

Olympic version.... Nice!

Genius

Thanks for the replies, mine is steel (just a crap photo of my phone) so I thought the steel strap would be a good match but looking at your pictures I think I may stick with leather and just get a new strap, although fetasigma yours looks spot on with the croc. I assume it should be easy enough to find one to fit the original buckle.

I was going to leave the crystal as is (scratched) for the vintage look but after seeing both of yours I think I may have to get it polished they both look quality

Dr. Jimmy

IMHO that watch really belongs on leather, but if you're set on SS have a look on eBay, you can probably find a generic bracelet there that may fit, or maybe even a shark mesh.

fetasigma
Thanks for the replies, mine is steel (just a crap photo of my phone) so I thought the steel strap would be a good match but looking at your pictures I think I may stick with leather and just get a new strap, although fetasigma yours looks spot on with the croc. I assume it should be easy enough to find one to fit the original buckle.

I was going to leave the crystal as is (scratched) for the vintage look but after seeing both of yours I think I may have to get it polished they both look quality

I bought the buckle first on the bay and then had serge custom make the strap to fit watch and buckle. One of the most comfortable watches I own. Doesn't hurt that it's 18k gold case either. Polish the crystal out and make it a really nice piece.

Genius

Did you polish the crystal yourself or pay for it doing? I just had a go at it with toothpaste on a cotton pad (read online it works) but not made much difference...

fetasigma

I polished mine with a plastic polish meant for motorcycle windshields, takes some elbow greese and multiple passes but works great