Sign in to follow this  
ImNotFatImFluffy

beware of unusable (in the US) iphones going around

ImNotFatImFluffy

We had bought what we thought was an iPhone 5 on eBay, it ended up being some sort of fake, usable only in China. What had got us was it was an authentic IMEI number for the carrier it was supposed to be for, don't know if it was an iPhone 5 made for China or if the outside was fake with authentic numbers or if it was Chinese internals with authentic iPhone 5 outside. Don't know if I'm the first or if this has been said before, just want to raise awareness (never such a thing as too much awareness).

George.

Contact ebay. Hope it gets sorted mate

ImNotFatImFluffy
Contact ebay. Hope it gets sorted mate
I've been doing that, they won't do anything until day 4 (Monday), the awful thing is we have had people get a refund from us in 5 minutes in the past using the same claim with no proof. Sucks having $350 up in the air for 3-4 days for something that we won't get any use with.

mysterio

350$? That's too low. If it sounds too good to be true...

ImNotFatImFluffy
350$? That's too low. If it sounds too good to be true...
I'd seen others on eBay going for similar prices, had no reason to think it wasn't what it appeared to be.

nunu78

350$ is a reasonable price for used iPhone 5.

mysterio

If it's a 2nd hand unit, well maybe 350$ is within the price range. Did the seller have particularly high feedback? Any pictures of the iPhone? By the way, the genuine iPhone is made in China, with some components made by Chinese companies.

ImNotFatImFluffy

Apparently they are fairly new to eBay with low feedback, but who'd have ever thought they would get a fake iPhone with a genuine iPhone IMEI with the carrier its supposed to be for that couldn't be used for one of the many carriers.

George.

Yeah, I've seen iPhones going around that price point, nothing unusual lads.

I know how you feel mate, I've had a similar issue. It seems like you'll just have to wait it out but I am confident eBay will do good on their word.

psantos1091
Apparently they are fairly new to eBay with low feedback, but who'd have ever thought they would get a fake iPhone with a genuine iPhone IMEI with the carrier its supposed to be for that couldn't be used for one of the many carriers.

Fake iphones use sim cards.. I'd suggest opening it up to see the insides to decide if it's fake..

ImNotFatImFluffy

Fake iphones use sim cards.. I'd suggest opening it up to see the insides to decide if it's fake..

actually my moms iPhone 4s (bough brand new at Target) has a SIM card slot, and apparently so do iPhone 5 and up (apparently for 4G service)