Sign in to follow this  
AllergyDoc

7,000 Euro watch on RG...

coolin

Watches are meant to worn and enjoyed but I just dont get it with these vintaged aged jobbies I really wouldnt want to wear it! Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder but fook if I can see any beauty in this rusty POS.

Anyway I got too many reps now for any of them to age, most of them dont get enough wrist time so they all look shiney and new. :Whistle: n thats the way I like it.

col

andygt

From doing a bit of digging there is no way those movements cost 5 or 6 grand - at the end of the day they are ugly $100 movemets that fetch a premium due to panerai using them.

Even with this inflation in prices they dont go for anywhere near the money the VDB circle jerk society reckon.

sfa437

I like a nice vintage watch but prefer closed casebacks- no need for an insanely priced 50 year old movement with no spares available.

VDB does some great work- damn near the elusive 1:1- but I will not ever pay over 800 bucks or so for a rep and that is at the EXTREME high end of my price scale.

Personally I like mucking about and building them from scratch anyway :Whistle:

sconehead
I like a nice vintage watch but prefer closed casebacks- no need for an insanely priced 50 year old movement with no spares available.

VDB does some great work- damn near the elusive 1:1- but I will not ever pay over 800 bucks or so for a rep and that is at the EXTREME high end of my price scale.

Personally I like mucking about and building them from scratch anyway :lol:

I've got a nice Getat MM that I dropped in the toilet, then beat with a rotten banana that I may just let you have for $800...no lower though, the minutes of work I put into it...:Whistle:

sfa437

Personally I like mucking about and building them from scratch anyway :D

I've got a nice Getat MM that I dropped in the toilet, then beat with a rotten banana that I may just let you have for $800...no lower though, the minutes of work I put into it...:P

How much if I toss in some Haribos? :rofl:

Del

If it's worth that kind of money then fair enough but personally I wouldn't pay €70 never mind €7000 for something that looks like you just dug it up while weeding the garden :P .

sconehead

Personally I like mucking about and building them from scratch anyway :rofl:

I've got a nice Getat MM that I dropped in the toilet, then beat with a rotten banana that I may just let you have for $800...no lower though, the minutes of work I put into it...:D

How much if I toss in some Haribos? :rofl:

$1.00....you know me too well...:P

JohnG

Hey, if you can get that kind of money for a homemade fake watch, more power to you.

As to vintage Pams, they are the final evolutionary stage of the rep hobby, those who don't understand just haven't evolved to that point yet...

andygt

Sounds just like a religion, John.

Think I'll pass :D

sconehead
Sounds just like a religion, John.

Think I'll pass :D

I thought religion frowned upon evolution?

andygt

Only in real evolution not the imaginary personal one.

sconehead

Oke...

greg_r

Honestly, I'd rather have the watch that JohnG built for our last birthday than ANYTHING I've seen of VDB's. Good movements, yes, but seriously, the price? :)

Member X

On a related note, does anyone make an 8 Days Handwind movement now??

Brightlight
Hey, if you can get that kind of money for a homemade fake watch, more power to you.

As to vintage Pams, they are the final evolutionary stage of the rep hobby, those who don't understand just haven't evolved to that point yet...

Vintage Pams are the watch evolutionary equivalent of the Neanderthal man. Some of us have moved onto Homo Sapiens level and mod Rolexes. :D

Silverspeed

Vintage Pams are the watch evolutionary equivalent of the Neanderthal man. Some of us have moved onto Homo Sapiens level and mod Rolexes. :D

Seems like the evolutionary stage of the rep hobby has different paths...after 4 years in this hobby, I still don't get the attraction of wearing a watch that looks like

it should have been thrown away and replaced a very long time ago

Brightlight

Seems like the evolutionary stage of the rep hobby has different paths...after 4 years in this hobby, I still don't get the attraction of wearing a watch that looks like

Four years and you haven't got the vintage vibe??? Bet if I came and bought a 1980 Volvo from you you'd be raving about how they don't build them like this anymore and the fact it has such and such an accessory means it is worth a premium price! You wouldn't be saying this is a rusty old piece of crap and a death trap and I wouldn't give it to you far less sell it. ;)

Silverspeed

Vintage Pams are the watch evolutionary equivalent of the Neanderthal man. Some of us have moved onto Homo Sapiens level and mod Rolexes. ;)

Four years and you haven't got the vintage vibe??? Bet if I came and bought a 1980 Volvo from you you'd be raving about how they don't build them like this anymore and the fact it has such and such an accessory means it is worth a premium price! You wouldn't be saying this is a rusty old piece of crap and a death trap and I wouldn't give it to you far less sell it. :rolleyes:

Sounds like we've met..... :D

the difference is that good sellable oldtimers are restored and don't look like crap ;)

but to be honest I don't care much for oldtimers....too many nitpicking customers

Brightlight

Vintage Pams are the watch evolutionary equivalent of the Neanderthal man. Some of us have moved onto Homo Sapiens level and mod Rolexes. ;)

Four years and you haven't got the vintage vibe??? Bet if I came and bought a 1980 Volvo from you you'd be raving about how they don't build them like this anymore and the fact it has such and such an accessory means it is worth a premium price! You wouldn't be saying this is a rusty old piece of crap and a death trap and I wouldn't give it to you far less sell it. :rolleyes:

Sounds like we've met..... :D

the difference is that good sellable oldtimers are restored and don't look like crap ;)

but to be honest I don't care much for oldtimers....too many nitpicking customers

"good sellable oldtimers are restored....." ;):rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I tend to agree with you in one respect, I like vintage, but gently worn vintage, not totally buggered although that is not what people think of as vintage.

Baldrick

There is absolutely nothing 'vintage' about that watch, it'sa bitsa watch, it never came from any Panerai factory / dealer, it is a FAKE watch pretending to be a GENUINE, it's no different from any other FAKE watch that is sold via these forums, you can wish upon a star, say abracadabra three times, click your ruby red heels together and it will still be a FAKE watch, it's entirely heterogenous, as can be seen from the bridge plates, CDG striping is carried out in uniformity and there is none present, it has no PROVENANCE, it has acquired no CHARACTER, it has acquired no PATINATION, it is a CONSTRUCT designed to fool the ignorant, nothing is attributable to it and it will not fool any genuine collector, the only person who will be fooled by it, will be the FOOL that buys it and as the old adage states, 'a FOOL and their money are easily parted'.

This is amongst others, the type of SCAM that these forums were set up to help others avoid, now it seems that they are complicit in perpetuating the very same scams, this 'itsa Bitsa' has value only to the extent of the assembled parts and that ain't much, the SHEEPLE that infest these forums are being deceived and accepting one man's IDEA of how VINTAGE should appear, re-inforced, NOT, by horological cognoscenti, but by FAKE people on a FAKE forum dealing with FAKE watches, and it is flat out wrong, JMO, but I know I'm right :D

trailboss99

About time you got back!

Now, go over to the book burning thread and help roast RadioGuy! :D

Col.

Baldrick

I have no desire to educate the ignorant, nor enlighten the dogmatic :D

Ska

Glad you're back mate! Missed you we have!

greg_r

hehe - good to see you, B :rofl:

.... and I agree with every word :dunno:

sfa437
I have no desire to educate the ignorant, nor enlighten the dogmatic :rofl:

It's not that at all- it's more like a back alley beatdown :dunno: