Sign in to follow this  
Ska

Testing my new Camera: Nikon D5000

Ska

Big shiny box arrived today - finally upgraded from my D40 to a D5000 and FUCK its a cool piece of kit!

23.6 x 15.8mm RGB CMOS DX

12.9 total megapixels (12.3 effective megapixels - Twice that of my old D40)

Goes down to below ISO 100

Shoots Full HD video.

VR Lens System, eliminates vibration if using handheld in lower light. (This is the main reason I bought it!!)

Ok enough drivel. Here are a few quick test photos (please bear in mind I've had the camera for about 10 minutes!!).

Just taken with the stock 18-55mm VR f3.5 lens with a cheap UV filter in my living room.

D5000Test2.jpg

D5000Test1.jpg

D5000Test3.jpg

D5000Test4.jpg

D5000Test5.jpg

Brightlight

Sorry I don't understand. What has this got to do with Muslims, mosques or burning the Qu'ran? I think maybe you're on the wrong forum..... :rofl:

Nice camera, nice pics though :rofl:

Ska

Oh - sorry I should have mentioned, I bought the camera specifically so I could write a photo tutorial on the most effective technique for the incineration of religious texts.

:rofl:

Brightlight
Oh - sorry I should have mentioned, I bought the camera specifically so I could write a photo tutorial on the most effective technique for the incineration of religious texts.

:rofl:

Ah, all clear now! Many thanks :rofl:

onzenuub

Pics no good :rofl:

mondeov6

Cool pictures!!... and congrats on your new camera!

turnipz

It looks so real it looks fake if that makes any sense.

Silverspeed

Congrats Ska...that a really nice camera

now give that GC/Orlogio guy a run for his money :thumbsup2:

sconehead

Hey ska, what's it like for capturing the female form?

:)

Silverspeed
Hey ska, what's it like for capturing the female form?

:)

pretty excellent I'd think...it has a HD video feature... :)

Del

Nice camera. I love when I get a new gadget :).

Pics look excellent.

coolin

Nice pics as ever mate, I think whatever ya use would do the biz you've got the eye for it.

Me? sad to say this but im canon through and through and when you got over 4k tied up in L series lenses you're in for life as the lenses never depreciate much, as for the Cameras they a bloody money pit im sure you will agree.

keep up the good work m8e

col

Ska

couldn't agree more mate - whatever works for you, I VERY nearly caved and got a 550D after trying it but in the end I personally prefer the Nikon VR lens system (like you I'd have had to buy my entire lens collection again if I went for a Canon.)

greg_r

Nice pickup, Ska.

I won't tell you what I paid for my D1x a few months back - I hate to see a grown man cry :)

Baldrick

On that note, where are all the D3's from you know who, then ? :D

Ska

Still stuck in Greece I think bud. Couldn't wait any longer - and had a buyer who gave me a great price for my D40.

buying time
Still stuck in Greece I think bud. Couldn't wait any longer - and had a buyer who gave me a great price for my D40.

Congtats on the new Nikon. I have a Nikin D200 myself. You might want to check out the Nikor AF-S VR18-200MM F3.5 ZOOM LENSE. i have found that to be my go to lense when on the road. Check it out

Member X
Nice pickup, Ska.

I won't tell you what I paid for my D1x a few months back - I hate to see a grown man cry ;)

I hate you.

:thumbsup2:

I'm intrigued by these mysterious D3s though... :dunno:

TAGster
Big shiny box arrived today - finally upgraded from my D40 to a D5000 and FUCK its a cool piece of kit!

23.6 x 15.8mm RGB CMOS DX

12.9 total megapixels (12.3 effective megapixels - Twice that of my old D40)

Goes down to below ISO 100

Shoots Full HD video.

VR Lens System, eliminates vibration if using handheld in lower light. (This is the main reason I bought it!!)

Ok enough drivel. Here are a few quick test photos (please bear in mind I've had the camera for about 10 minutes!!).

Just taken with the stock 18-55mm VR f3.5 lens with a cheap UV filter in my living room.

D5000Test2.jpg

D5000Test1.jpg

D5000Test3.jpg

D5000Test4.jpg

D5000Test5.jpg

Good pick Skat!!, very nice upgrade from the D40.

The D5000 is a good entry level Nikon mainly for the full HD video and live view features.

Just as a comment: the VR system is not a camera feature but a Lense one, I mean, you could had used VR lenses in your old D40 since the vibration reduction engine is at the lens, not at the body. I tested a 18-200 VR lense I have on a friend´s D40 and it worked perfectly.

Now if you want to step up to a more sharp and nitid photos using your D5000, I would recommend you to try the Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX G prime lense, eventhough is a fixed focal length lense, it is perfect for every day shoting situation producing great images, even in low light conditions, thanks to its wide aperture.

Hope you can share the photos you make with your new D5000, congrats mate!!

Ska

Yeah mate I know the VR system is in the lens - but the kit is the cheapest way to get both the new body and the 18-55mm lens. I already had a Nikon f/2.8 55-200mm VR lens which I used with the D40.

The 6.2mp sensor and limited focusing options on the D40 had bugged me for a while. The low ISO reproduction was also rather poor.

I have a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HS lens which accomplishes the same as the Nikon 35mm (And also a 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro which I use for most of my watch close-ups.)

Personally the live-view and video recording is a neat enough extra but I don't see myself using it all that often.

TAGster

Ok, I understand now mate.

As I see you already have the good basic lenses that should be in any photgrapher bag.

Talking about Nikon: have you seen the new Nikon D3100 camera?, I do not see why Nikon launch this camera so soon, it has 14.2 mpx a CMOS sensor with two Hi ISO settings that allows you up to 12,800 ISO type of sensivity.

The most funny thing is this new D3100 is set between the D3000 and D5000 and it´s priced very similar to the D5000.

Cheers!

Ska

I know mate - its weird. Don't really see any point in the 3100 - perhaps its a response to Canon who just seem to be releasing versions of the same EOS just with more and more megapixels.

I've got 8 lenses, Most of them Sigma and Nikkor but I've got a cool Tamron wide-angle which is great for some cool applications!.

Sigma:

70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM

50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM (The BIG daddy)

Nikkor:

18-55mm AF-S f/4.2

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S VR DX

55-200mm f/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX

Tamron:

SP AF10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD Aspherical

Member X

Nice set up!

I wish I had a couple of grand or so spare - would love to get a D300 with a Tokina 11-24 f2.8, a Tamron 17-50 f2.8, and a Sigma 50-150 f2.8...

I read somewhere that the D300 is due for phasing out later this year as a new model comes out, and therefore hopefully be reduced in price - I wish they'd hurry up, I want one!! lol :D

Ska

D300 is a beautiful piece of kit!! Did you hear about Roberts possible nikon haul?

GC
D300 is a beautiful piece of kit!! Did you hear about Roberts possible nikon haul?

not yet... but i'm all ears! Even though I'm a Canon man myself, if the price is right I might be a Nikon man soon!

BTW: some beautiful results with the new camera!