Sign in to follow this  
vik2001

rolex 6263 daytona strap replacement

vik2001

i bought a really nice 6263 paul newman daytona, moidded by Kenny. however the strap is really bad on it, anyone got suggestions for a decent strap replacement on this?

CaptainFantastic

I have the same watch, the bracelet is pretty crappy must admit. Looks good on the wrist but the feel is like it's made of tin. I frequently put mine on a bond nato, it looks pretty good on it IMO.

image_zps8cd19255.jpg

As for anything else, I'd suggest a decent leather strap, Hirsh make some nice ones that have a good look, in brown or tan, a bit beaten up they'd look like it'd been on the watch for years.

fetasigma

A good vintage style leather strap is the way to go, the reality is that even gen

Bracelets from this era were crap anyway, so they are replicating a crappy design fairly well

vik2001

Is there no modern bracelets that can be used. I dnt really like the nato on this

Daywatch

After looking around quite a lot the best ones You will get from forum strapmakers like this: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=74786 or in vintage brown. Ends up being better than spending $35 + shipping and $55 plus shipping etc. looking for something suitable.

_DC_
Is there no modern bracelets that can be used. I dnt really like the nato on this

Unfortunately not, all modern Rolex's such as the Sub and modern Daytona are 20mm lug, the vintage is 19mm, so only a vintage bracelet will fit and they are all hollow mid link bracelets (which is why they feel "tinny").

It's meant to feel like that though, it's a vintage watch :thumbsup:

DC

vik2001

Tropic straps look nice on 6263 what people think of them

_DC_

I think this is the best strap combo fora 6263, period....

5A3E7B8A-C787-4838-9A6D-958DAF2227CE_zps7vjx0m57.jpg

DC

vik2001

Thats a beauty dc exactly what I need. Any links to where I can buy one from?

Conex

Hey mate. I thought the same thing when I bought my first Vin'Tona, but after some research and as mentioned above by a few posters, this a pretty accurate rep of the original vintage straps. They were hollow and tinny and not heavy compared to modern day straps. One way I made the strap feel better was I sanded down the bracelet edges a bit, smoothed things out, and then gave it a good wash in WD40. Sounds a bit weird but it makes it feel smoother and also more vintage feeling. Use really fine sandpaper.

I have also had some custom made Bunds made by Steveostraps. I am awaiting arrival of these so can't post pictures yet, but I have basically had him copy the design of the Paul Newman bund. I think these watches look amazing on bunds.

As far as I am aware there are not heavier duty rep replacement straps for these watches as the 19mm lug is unusual compared to the other Rolex vintage reps. I would like to point out that the vintage subs have a similar cheap feeling strap. I have felt gen vintage sub straps and the reps are good copies with regards to the feel and weight.

vik2001

Thanks mate.i noticed the edges were sharp in bracelet. I might try and find that brown strap posted in pic above. That looks gorgeous

fetasigma

very reasonable, great quality. will make it to any size you want....and will add in a nos rolex stainless buckle for a little extra

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_2329wt_1038

Edited by fetasigma

Conex
Thanks mate.i noticed the edges were sharp in bracelet. I might try and find that brown strap posted in pic above. That looks gorgeous

Yes a bit of sanding worked wonders mate