Sign in to follow this  
drevel

Movement Question life of a 21J

drevel

I bought a cheap 50 dollar omega seamaster from Silix four years ago, an automatic and it only worked for about 3 months and then died. Didn't leave me with the best feeling about the reliability,

Would this likely have been Asian 21J movement or are there other cheap auto movements out there:?

How much life do you expect out of a 21J movement ?

And yes, I did read the sticky about the movements

Luthier

I have 10-12 watches with old style 21J movements (now they're significantly better), that still alive and kicking. Only one died about a year ago.

sconehead
I bought a cheap 50 dollar omega seamaster from Silix four years ago, an automatic and it only worked for about 3 months and then died. Didn't leave me with the best feeling about the reliability,

Would this likely have been Asian 21J movement or are there other cheap auto movements out there:?

How much life do you expect out of a 21J movement ?

And yes, I did read the sticky about the movements

The Asian 21j movement used in the majority of reps is based on the Miyota 8xxx series and is a good movement, they are good for years.

People seldom service them as they're so cheap to swap out (less than the cost of a service) so you can't really compare them to ETA's for that reason alone.

Obviously there are a myriad of movements out there, the cheaper reps usually quote them as being 21j regardless.

sfa437

I have one I bought in 1986 that still runs and was never serviced. Only +14 secs a day too- go figure :lol:

drevel
I have one I bought in 1986 that still runs and was never serviced. Only +14 secs a day too- go figure :lol:

Thanks Guys.

This helps a bunch

sfa437

Thanks Guys.

This helps a bunch

If you're based in the US get an Asian auto from Ofrei and do a swap. Cheap to buy one (15 bucks or so) and it gets you started wrenching on watches.

Be careful though or you'll wind up like me with 400 bucks in tools to repair a 200 dollar watch :D

Luthier
Be careful though or you'll wind up like me with 400 bucks in tools to repair a 200 dollar watch :lol:

SFA, you'll use it after retirement.

:D

sfa437
Be careful though or you'll wind up like me with 400 bucks in tools to repair a 200 dollar watch :rofl:

SFA, you'll use it after retirement.

:)

Actually it's saved me at least 800 bucks so far.... at least that is how I justify it to myself :)

Chief

Well...PLEASE tell me I'm NOT wrong in assuming that I can use the BK Sub as a 24/7 "live in" watch...work...play....swim...AND Dive 50' or less and won't experience any problems. MY logic....I CAN do this in a 69.00 Timex Ironman, so I should be able to do this in a 300.00+ watch...RIGHT????

Luthier
Well...PLEASE tell me I'm NOT wrong in assuming that I can use the BK Sub as a 24/7 "live in" watch...work...play....swim...AND Dive 50' or less and won't experience any problems. MY logic....I CAN do this in a 69.00 Timex Ironman, so I should be able to do this in a 300.00+ watch...RIGHT????

Not sure about diving 50 meters deep, but for the rest - why not?

Brightlight

Personally I don't like them very much. Compared with an ETA 28xx they are very flimsy and even if serviced I don't feel they would have a long term future. They are definitely built down to a price (unlike the ETA clones) and are not built to be serviced, trying to put one back together is like trying to push a wet dog upstairs and parts are not available for them. It's luck of the draw whether you get one DOA or that packs up in a few months or lasts for years. In their favour, they are dirt cheap to replace.