Sign in to follow this  
Kcore

What does a Rollie 1675 GMT & Brando have in common?

Kcore

Seems a lot!

While doing a bit of research into the 1675 GMT, I came across a wonderful article in Rolex Magazine. It was listed under, "Profiles In Coolness," "Marlon Brando, The Wild One. An Amazing Life With Rolex Keeping His Time, 1924 - 2004." The article has some great pics and a very interesting read.

http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/marlon-brando-rolex-gmt-master-from.html

Conex

Great read mate. Thank you. You know me and my obsession with vintage Rollies. And I have just bought a 1675 as well. Ace.

simey83

Great read mate! Thanks

rusky27

He wore one in apocalypse now?

Kcore
Great read mate. Thank you. You know me and my obsession with vintage Rollies. And I have just bought a 1675 as well. Ace.

Great read mate! Thanks

My pleasure guys. I always try to share an interesting read. Brando is one of my all time favorites and my 1675 is fast becoming my favorite weekender.

He wore one in apocalypse now?

I 'be watched that movie at least 15 times, incl the extended version and never recognized it. Without the bezel it looks very different.

rusky27

Like it without the bezel too oozes cool - particularly fond of them on jubilee bracelet too

Cynikal.Mindset

looks like it has a custom smooth bezel opposed to no bezel at all

Kcore
looks like it has a custom smooth bezel opposed to no bezel at all

Take a close look at the Apocalypse Now pics. In the 2nd & 7th pics, where Brando is holding his head, ( esp. in the close up of the 7th) you can clearly see the gap where the bezel is missing.

Conex

I've been going through a phase of watching loads of old 50s and 60s films recently, James Dean, Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, etc. I think I need to add some Brando in there. Streetcar, Wild One and Waterfront have always been my favourites but I haven't seen them in years. As for Apocalypse Now, I have lost count of the amount of times I have seen that film, but I reckon I know it word for word pretty much.

Cynikal.Mindset

AHHH

GMT_bezel_small.jpg

better pic with bezel removed...I guess I'm more familiar with modern bezel construction

Kcore
I've been going through a phase of watching loads of old 50s and 60s films recently, James Dean, Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, etc. I think I need to add some Brando in there. Streetcar, Wild One and Waterfront have always been my favourites but I haven't seen them in years. As for Apocalypse Now, I have lost count of the amount of times I have seen that film, but I reckon I know it word for word pretty much.

Kurtz: "We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write " fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!"

Conex

Don't get me started lol

Kcore
Don't get me started lol

Agreed, let's not deviate too far off topic ( ha!)

Back to the GMT on Brando's wrist in AN. Even though I never recognized the watch as a Rollie GMT, I did think it was on a NATO. But the pics clearly show it's a leather strap similar to a Breitling with holes. Not large holes like a racer.

Conex

Yes it does look pretty swish.

seclark007

Saigon, shit, I'm still in Saigon. Every time I'm in the jungle I want to wake up here... Every time I'm here, I want to wake up in the jungle......

Kcore

I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream, that's my nightmare, crawling, slithering along the edge of a straight razor and surviving.