Sign in to follow this  
derekc

What makes a watch waterproof?

derekc

As the title states, what makes a watch waterproof? Alternatively, how does one go about waterproofing a watch?

I have a couple of watches that I would not hesitate to take diving, one of which is a genuine submariner. It is solidly built, and seals well (screw back and screw-down winder). For years I used this in the ocean, surfing and windsurfing. It has proved itself over and over.

A while back I purchased a replica Sinn U1. I am impressed with its build quality. It is a large watch, also built like the proverbial brick sh-thouse, and similarly has a wind down crown. I have not attempted to take it into the water because I read that "30m water resistant" means that you keep your hand in your pocket when it rains. Why? Is it the seals? If so, what seals are involved?

Is it a big deal to waterproof a watch to, say, 100m? And what is involved?

Cheers

DC

jdog

Usually greasing all the seals/orings. Pressure testing to check for leaks. Can be done. NOT always trusted.

derekc

Thanks for the quick answer.

So who can one go to to get this done? I assume it is not something we can do at home? Or is it?

Cheers

DC

KeNnY

Personally I would buy a GEN Seiko for 100 Euro if I would like to swim with a watch, like to ruin an 400 Euro Rep.

The reps can't be always trusted, they can leak anytime, too high tolerances.

greg_r

Do bear in mind that watches need to be tested and re-waterproofed periodically if you're going to take 'em into water. That includes your gen Rolex. It can get expensive if you don't ;)

adamm19830

I have just successfully waterproofed my GMT-II. The watch was $338 originally and the TD claimed it was waterproof. As soon as i received the watch i dunked it for 10-20 seconds in a glass of water. The result was that the watch worked fine and all appeared well, However as soon as i went outside with it the next day the glass "misted" over on the inside. Eventually the mist went after a few hours but then kept coming back.

I then took the case back off (which was a bit loose anyway) and placed the watch on some tissue over a bed of salt to draw out any moisture. Once i did this i applied watch grease around the case back rim and put it on again tightly with a tool i bought from the internet.

The result is, I now have a waterproof watch which i have worn for normal swimming many times now.

:-)

derekc

I know what you mean, Greg. I do service my watches every few years. The submariner has just had a full restoration which, after 30 years of hard use, it deserved. It's like a new watch. I just felt that the Sinn U1 also deserved a little "treatment", however I do not see that I can take it to the watchmaker who services my watches.

What is it that makes the replica unreliable, as you mention Kenny? Surely a manufacturer who can build to tolerances as displayed in some of these watches can build a watch of sufficient tolerance to withstand reasonable water pressure?

Cheers

DC

greg_r

A lot of reps can and have been made water resistant. Occasionally you might get lucky and it will be WR out of the box. The problem that Kenny refers to, though, is that sometimes things aren't quite as well-finished as they should be, which can leave potential for disasters to happen. Getting it tested will tell you whether it's waterproof atm, but will not necessarily ensure it remains so (especially at varying temperatures).

Having said that, a lot of guys go swimming with their reps without problems, so it certainly can be done.

Many shopping malls have a little watch repair booth and a lot of those can do pressure testing for a small charge. Worth a try.

derekc

Adamm, interesting. I have a black replica Rolex that I gave to my son. He wore it in the shower - with the winder fully open. He later gave it back to me as it misted up after this (what a surprise!). He learned a lesson that day, fortunately a cheap one.

I'd like to open the watch up and dry it out but do not have the correct tool to do so (so it seems to me). The watch still works and, wonder of wonders, keeps perfect time. Amazing! It mists up if worn on hot days.

Is there a special tool that may be purchased, and where does one obtain it?

Cheers

Derek

derekc

Thanks Greg. I'll try that.

Cheers

DC

Genius

Adamm, interesting. I have a black replica Rolex that I gave to my son. He wore it in the shower - with the winder fully open. He later gave it back to me as it misted up after this (what a surprise!). He learned a lesson that day, fortunately a cheap one.

I'd like to open the watch up and dry it out but do not have the correct tool to do so (so it seems to me). The watch still works and, wonder of wonders, keeps perfect time. Amazing! It mists up if worn on hot days.

Cheers

Derek

I got one of these off the bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATCH-SCREW-TYPE-BACK-CASE-OPENER-COVER-REMOVER-OPENING-PLAY-BALL-REPAIR-TOOL-/291171098697?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_WatchAccessories_SpareParts_SM&var=590319523412&hash=item43cb266049

not tested it yet but heard good things on the forum, if you order a watch from Reg (from his UK stock) he will throw in one free, my order with reg was from his Thai stock so I had to buy my sticky ball of ebay

nuttcrac69

What makes a watch waterproof? Hmmmm......... The fact that one can use it underwater without damage? :lol:

Daywatch

If You have more than 1 rep stated waterproof tested to 100m (- only reps are waterproof, gens are always water-resistant only:), greased the O-rings and tested it, take it for a swim that season because it´s fun. I´d rather swim with a $328 Rollie than with the gen plus keeping the gen waterproof after a few Years costs a lot more. Depends on Your take on it.

agntkerr

Don't put it in water is the best water proofing!

Conex

I wouldn't even have a drink with my left hand when I'm wearing a rep.

SSTEEL

Personally I would buy a GEN Seiko for 100 Euro if I would like to swim with a watch, like to ruin an 400 Euro Rep.

Very true that mate, I have waterproofed watches, and they have been fine one day, and not so much another day. A watch of my own was waterproofed, and was great, then two weeks later when I tested it again it had a leak from the crystal gasket.

adamm19830

Cheers

Derek

I bought one of ebay. I do have a proper watch tool kit with all the gizomos that my great uncle passed down to me as he was a watchmaker in his day. Im a total novice but like to "tinker" around with them. I have just bought a DSSD tool for the case back too as im gonna try and waterproof that next.

LightGeek

Tis the very reason I jumped on the baby orange Seiko monster :) Many of my reps have proven WR after some greasing and testing but I wouldn't trust it on vacation (much).

KeNnY

Very true that mate, I have waterproofed watches, and they have been fine one day, and not so much another day. A watch of my own was waterproofed, and was great, then two weeks later when I tested it again it had a leak from the crystal gasket.

yup same here with Ploprof, passed 2 times 6 Bars pressure test, GREAT ! Member got it , went for a small swim, mist.... but again had another member, DSSD , passed 4 BArs test, he made a dive 37 meters below ocean, all good ! so really all depends on temperatures as well.

KeNnY

Tis the very reason I jumped on the baby orange Seiko monster :) Many of my reps have proven WR after some greasing and testing but I wouldn't trust it on vacation (much).

yup I got mine monster also :lol:

elp

I went swimming today with my Pumpkin PO, no issue. Been diving with the PloProf, again no worries. Both waterproofed by KeNnY.

Del Boy

We've got to stop using this waterproof word... no watch is waterproof, not even gens!

As for water resistance, it's the seals that do this, but because they are not a perfect fit, you need to grease them.

From my experience, for a lot of diver reps, simply greasing the o-ring and the crown is enough to pass 1 to 2 bar, so you can go for a quick dip in a pool. Kenny takes it a bit further and sorts out the crystal... you can use gs cement yourself... Kenny put a guide up somewhere. "Water-proofing" is quite simple and easy, but people like Kenny and Micky do it for a reasonable price so if you are already regulating or resuming then you might as well ask for that too.

I wouldn't trust any TD waterproofed watch, get it tested locally and then you know for definite without ruining a perfectly good movement.

DB

erifik11

My friend has an offshore limited watch and it works perfect under water. It is a gen.

Del Boy

:help3:

davewe

I currently have my genuine Sinn U1 in the shop for a complete servicing. The thing had stopped dead and when the watchmaker opened it saw signs of moisture. I can't even remember swimming with the thing. Maybe I showered with it once or twice.

Of course the 1st thing he asked is how long I owned it and whether I had ever replaced the gaskets. Every 5 years he said. Frankly I would rather get a U1 rep at $238 and have the gaskets checked than to ever take the $1500 gen in the ocean.