Sign in to follow this  
derekc

What makes a watch waterproof?

tonyh7

I have a collection of watches including a gen Tag, a gen Omega. I'm a fairly experienced diver and use a Suunto dive computer in the water. I have used the Tag and a Casio GShock to depths of around 35m. Both performed well. Wouldn't dare try it with anything else!

Kernow

Forget waterproofing reps. As has been said, they may test fine and be okay, then a few days later they may leak. Just buy a $50 Casio or the like for swimming. Or, takes your chance with a 'waterproofed' rep, but don't bitch if it leaks.

Daywatch

Like Del said "simply greasing the o-ring and the crown is enough" and a WP-test for comfort, this for divers and non-chronos. I couldn´t ruin a beautiful gen-movement or take a gen vintage down, but it was a real pleasure to swim through this summer with several Rolex, Breitling, PAM rep-divers instead of the Seikos for a change. There´s just an Asian ETA inside, no big deal imo and 4me it was well worth the fun with some due precautions beforehand, none leaked or got moisture inside. I don´t shower with them. For diving I rely on gens, never on a rep.