Sign in to follow this  
Bigburdy

Ready for the plunge

Bigburdy

After reading a lot from the forum I have decided to try and make one of my reps water resistant. I have an old cheap Deep sea dweller that will be my test subject. I bought this a while back before joining here when I knew nothing about reps, and probably still do not know much more, I must say it does keep good time and keeps charge well.

I have bought a rubber type ball to open the back case, a tube of silicone gasket grease and hypo cement. The hypo cement is for another watch if I decide to try this process again.

I have managed to open the case to the watch and grease the O rings as I have read and the crown stem also. I used a cocktail stick to apply the gasket grease and managed not to get grease where is should not go. I screwed back the case tight (not over tightening). I am now waiting till I get home to test this.

I have a question before I do this. Would dropping this into a glass of water be ok enough? How long to leave the watch in the water? Would the dial of the watch need to be prepared before testing?

Photo's of test will be taken if wished to see if this succeeds or fails.

Thank you in advance

Conex

Keep us in the loop. Would be interested in your results.

greg_r

Firstly, a rubber ball is unlikely to get the back tight enough for it to be fully water resistant.

Secondly, the only real way to be sure is to get the watch pressure tested - the equipment to do that costs money, so best to take it to someone who can check it for you. Most shopping malls have a guy who does strap changes and minor repairs - many of those can also handle pressure testing.

Bigburdy

I have a local shop that offers free pressure testing which I have used in the past. Is there a difference between a watch being water resistant and being pressure tested?

Call me a noob or what ever you want, but being pressure tested and passing means a watch can be worn at certain depths? where as a watch being water resistant may be worn at certain levels (not deep or at high pressures?) splash proof etc?

greg_r

water resistant is the general term used if the watch can cope with immersion. The amount of pressure it will take defines the depth to which it will resist water ingress. Without pressure testing I wouldn't get it any closer to water than a brief hand washing...

plankton

water resistant is the general term used if the watch can cope with immersion. The amount of pressure it will take defines the depth to which it will resist water ingress. Without pressure testing I wouldn't get it any closer to water than a brief hand washing...

I agree. One other note I have found with the old DSSD's is the case-back construction lets some air out during pressure testing, I couldn't figure it out or 2 of my modders. I think it holds air between the 2 parts of the back. You will definitely need the 36.5mm tool to crank it down tight.

Bigburdy

Advice taken aboard. Looks like a trip to the shops to find these tools!!