Sign in to follow this  
Tinstar

Youtube reviews

Tinstar

Have any of you, my fellow replica watch lovers, been surprised by some of the comments made on Youtube regarding the various replica watch reviews? Wow! I couldn't believe the haters out there! Some of the comments...actually, a LOT of the comments regarding replica ("fake") watches and those who buy/wear them, were VERY derogatory! Down right nasty! I mean, I have a pretty thick skin and Lord knows that I have been insulted before, but...DAMN! Such hatred! Hey, I can't afford a GEN, being a retired government worker, but I love the looks of the REP watches (thanks to the site, I've learned some slang...cool!) and I can afford them. I can buy a heck of a lot of REP watches for way under the GEN prices...well, I'm preaching to the choir here...you know. Anyway, I just wondered what you guys think. I am happy with my new hobby and I don't care what these people think...they are just haters!

KBH

It's the same way on all the gen forums. And most of them wouldn't know a gen from a rep anyways.

TAGster

I think that comments comes from people that has nothing better to do in internet, the people feel very "powerful" behind a screen with a keyboard in its hands and tend to discharge all their frustations, courage, or physcological problems in that kind of comments.

I would say: those type of comments are worth nothing and in that way should be taken. My advice: do not take that so serious, do not let that comments to make you feel bad, because are just words written by people who stands behind a nick name, how serious could that be? :thumbsup:

internet-serious-business-cat-thumb.jpg

TAGster
It's the same way on all the gen forums. And most of them wouldn't know a gen from a rep anyways.

Absolutely agree!, I think they are just posers.

Baldrick

You're buying FAKE watches. WTF do you expect plaudits and commendations, I don't know who are the more sanctimonious, genuine watch buyers or FAKE buyers of FAKE watches.

Everybody on these fora tries to convince themselves of their legitimacy, using terms such as 'replica' / 'reproduction' / 'homage' et al, now we can agree that those terms accurately convey what we are buying, but let's not get up our own arses, these are not sanctioned copies, the OWNERS of the original design patents and REGISTERED TM's, who invest heavily in the promotion / quality and service of their product are being robbed, financially and intellectually, reps are the result of theft, every one of us here is stealing something, let's not forget that, we aren't paying the same price as the purchaser of a gen watch, as a consequence we aren't getting what buyers of gens get, they have INVESTED in the brand, we haven't, it's no wonder they get upset.

I enjoy, am fascinated by and love fakes, have a large collection of them as well as gens, but I do accept that no matter what label I apply to them, they are and always will be fakes.

No offense intended, just telling it like it is.

Yes they would, most of them may not have the horological knowledge, but they do have the box, paperwork and RECEIPT to enable them to tell the difference, and the only REASON we can boast that we know more about watches is because we've had to suffer the iniquities of such poor quality that we've had to take it upon ourselves to correct many of the FAULTS that come with the territory, they don't have to resort to that, we do!

That's a laff, coming from someone who's posing with his new fake (insert FAKE brand and model here ( ________________ ), can you HEAR your hypocrisy, Lord knows you can't miss not, it's screaaming :thumbsup:

Baldrick

I'll leave you to that, seems that's your particular bent :)

warcelo

I know many ppl that bought a rep and then fell in love with watches... After that, they bought gens of their favorite reps. I wonder if they would buy gens without knowing the reps first....

Baldrick

If they bought a rep first, they had the desire to own the gen, otherwise they wouldn't have Googled / visited Canal St / HK / BKK or listened to a 'lucky, lucky' seller on the beach, if fakes didn't exist they'd not be able to buy them, their appetite for the watch would have to be satiated by the genuine :)

warcelo

Not really... I mean, if you can´t afford a gen now, maybe in the near future you will, but you would never have the obsession for watches if you didn't start buying reps. That´s just a point of view, don´t take it as valid for all cases!

JoeyB
Not really... I mean, if you can´t afford a gen now, maybe in the near future you will, but you would never have the obsession for watches if you didn't start buying reps. That´s just a point of view, don´t take it as valid for all cases!

I was never much into watches. Back in the early `80s one of my buddies came back from Taiwan with a Rolex President, SS, pearl dial and diamond markers. I had never heard of Rolex, but I loved that watch. He sold it to me for what he paid and I still have it, though it died a few years ago.

Regardless what some might say, not everyone has the same view of replica watches. Most are not posers, most don't try to pass off their watch as a gen if it isn't. Usually you can spot the ones who go through life trying to con somebody. They are the loudest.

Baldrick

That's completely nonsensical and fallacious and is not valid in any case!

I and others who have an interest in horology, developed that interest waay before fakes were apparent and readily available, I would contest that EVERY member of these fora including you, found their way here because they Googled for fakes and found either the scam websites or the fora dealing with reps, YOU as others were driven to find a rep of your desired brand / model and ended up here.

For those who were / are fascinated by watches and have or had the desire to own a Rolex Sub / Seamaster / Tag Link ( insert brand and model of choice here_______________ ), there were only 2x options.

1. Scrimp / save / beg steal or borrow.

2. Do without and dream perchance.

To say that anyone would not have the obsession for watches, if not for discovering reps is completely untrue, their obsession / fascination / desire brought them here, where their hunger was fed by the plethora of knowledge available, not to mention the easy access to fakes.

TAGster

That's a laff, coming from someone who's posing with his new fake (insert FAKE brand and model here ( ________________ ), can you HEAR your hypocrisy, Lord knows you can't miss not, it's screaaming :)

Maybe I did not express myself very well: I was telling "posers" to the people who attack and make comments on youtube or video blog replies. I think that people always tend to attack very hard other people and I think many time most of that people could not afford a genuine watch. I am sorry if I made a confusion statement.

Also you don´t know me and I do not know you, that is why I could not give a judgment of you just based on what I read on your comments, but what I definately can tell you, I am not a poser nor an hypocrat.

I do not need to give some explanations but I will do in this case: I like watches since everytime, and I am really aware that buying replicas or, as you say fake watches is not getting the real stuff, I clearly understand that no matter how good a replica is, it will never be like the genuine, but I like to get this replicas because in that way I can have a fairly assorted watch collection, but I would never be "posing" with my replicas as if there were genuines simply because I know that pieces are not. Just for you to know: I own some genunine watches (TAG Heuer mainly but also a Longines and a Cartier), so I think that could disqualify your "hypocrisy" argument.

Also, no offese, I´m just trying to make myself more clear and give my point of view here, because at the end is that what is all about in the forums: just to give oppinions, there is not such thing as the "absolute truth".

Cheers mate!

TAGster
Most are not posers, most don't try to pass off their watch as a gen if it isn't. Usually you can spot the ones who go through life trying to con somebody. They are the loudest.

I agree with you mate.

Baldrick
Maybe I did not express myself very well:

You didn't, it came across as you calling genuine watch owners as 'posers', the inference being that you as a fake watch collector weren't a poser!

I was telling "posers" to the people who attack and make comments on youtube or video blog replies. I think that people always tend to attack very hard other people

These people are not attacking 'other' people, for example because they hold a differing point of view, they are criticising them because they support the illegal industry ( not hobby) of fake watches.

and I think many time most of that people could not afford a genuine watch.

That's a generalisation and an assumption on your part, you have no clue as to whether any of the posters can or cannot afford a genuine watch, and if so, which genuine watch, a Seiko, a Vacheron, it's beyond your ken!

Also you don´t know me and I do not know you, that is why I could not give a judgment of you just based on what I read on your comments, but what I definately can tell you, I am not a poser nor an hypocrat.

You're quite correct, HOWEVER, I may not know you, but I KNOW why you are here on this forum, it's to avail yourself of a fake watch(es), plain and simple, your primary purpose in coming here and buying your first fake was to fulfill a desire, one which you may have been able to fulfill financially, I have no idea, but you opted for a substitute or you wouldn't be posturing just now, your secondary reason may be that you have found kindred spirits and enjoy the camaraderie, but EVERYONE here at one point or another held the same desire as you AND I.

I do not need to give some explanations

Of course you don't, no-one is asking you to, I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy in your statement and the fallacy you are promoting.

but I like to get this replicas because in that way I can have a fairly assorted watch collection,

No, you have a fair collection of assorted fakes, you are only giving the impression that you have a fairly assorted BRAND collection, by definition, watches they may be, but they are not a collection of TAGS / Omegas / Panerai any more than if you were an art collector with a collection of Athena printed posters by Degas / Rembrandt / Modigliani , you would be defined as an 'art' lover, but not a collector!

but I would never be "posing" with my replicas as if there were genuines simply because I know that pieces are not. Just for you to know: I own some genunine watches (TAG Heuer mainly but also a Longines and a Cartier), so I think that could disqualify your "hypocrisy" argument.

Of course you wouldn't, NONE of us here would EVER do that and of course your contemporaries / friends would be just as impressed if you had a fair collection of $15.00-$30.00 NON-BRANDED watches.

Many of us here own genuines, it's what you do when you are obsessed with watches.

The hypocrisy part remains, if you call owners of genuine watches, or those who condemn our 'hobby' as posers.. it's that simple, we ( myself included ), who are the posers. when we modify a watch to take it as close to gen as possible, or when we obsess over minutiae that wouldn't be noticed by even someone who owns the genuine, but when the collective fear of being 'outed' as ever present on these fora manifests itself, when fakes are being sold at ridiculous prices of 7000 Euro or 1500 GBP, when we can't or refuse to see the ENC, let us NOT gild the lily ! :)

GC
:)

warcelo

You can´t negate that reps maintain our love and obsession for watches, think about yourself buying only gens... you maybe would never be a collector and one or 2 watches for you would be enough.

It´s just a point of view again!!!

Baldrick

I never said that reps negate love and obsession, you stated that it was sine non qua to buy a rep before falling in love with watches, I postulate the opposite, at one point all I ever purchased were genuines, I was as passionate then as I am now, gens or fakes, your observations were speculative, not based on any evidence.

TAGster
Maybe I did not express myself very well:

You didn't, it came across as you calling genuine watch owners as 'posers', the inference being that you as a fake watch collector weren't a poser!

I was telling "posers" to the people who attack and make comments on youtube or video blog replies. I think that people always tend to attack very hard other people

These people are not attacking 'other' people, for example because they hold a differing point of view, they are criticising them because they support the illegal industry ( not hobby) of fake watches.

and I think many time most of that people could not afford a genuine watch.

That's a generalisation and an assumption on your part, you have no clue as to whether any of the posters can or cannot afford a genuine watch, and if so, which genuine watch, a Seiko, a Vacheron, it's beyond your ken!

You're quite correct, HOWEVER, I may not know you, but I KNOW why you are here on this forum, it's to avail yourself of a fake watch(es), plain and simple, your primary purpose in coming here and buying your first fake was to fulfill a desire, one which you may have been able to fulfill financially, I have no idea, but you opted for a substitute or you wouldn't be posturing just now, your secondary reason may be that you have found kindred spirits and enjoy the camaraderie, but EVERYONE here at one point or another held the same desire as you AND I.

I do not need to give some explanations

Of course you don't, no-one is asking you to, I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy in your statement and the fallacy you are promoting.

but I like to get this replicas because in that way I can have a fairly assorted watch collection,

No, you have a fair collection of assorted fakes, you are only giving the impression that you have a fairly assorted BRAND collection, by definition, watches they may be, but they are not a collection of TAGS / Omegas / Panerai any more than if you were an art collector with a collection of Athena printed posters by Degas / Rembrandt / Modigliani , you would be defined as an 'art' lover, but not a collector!

but I would never be "posing" with my replicas as if there were genuines simply because I know that pieces are not. Just for you to know: I own some genunine watches (TAG Heuer mainly but also a Longines and a Cartier), so I think that could disqualify your "hypocrisy" argument.

Of course you wouldn't, NONE of us here would EVER do that and of course your contemporaries / friends would be just as impressed if you had a fair collection of $15.00-$30.00 NON-BRANDED watches.

Many of us here own genuines, it's what you do when you are obsessed with watches.

The hypocrisy part remains, if you call owners of genuine watches, or those who condemn our 'hobby' as posers.. it's that simple, we ( myself included ), who are the posers. when we modify a watch to take it as close to gen as possible, or when we obsess over minutiae that wouldn't be noticed by even someone who owns the genuine, but when the collective fear of being 'outed' as ever present on these fora manifests itself, when fakes are being sold at ridiculous prices of 7000 Euro or 1500 GBP, when we can't or refuse to see the ENC, let us NOT gild the lily ! B)

Ok, you´re absolutely right!

:giggle:

Cheers!!