Sign in to follow this  
dfq23

vintage rep question - yellow or white?

dfq23

Just ordered my first rep of a vintage watch (Rolex) and had the option to have it with white or yellowed markers. Went with the white as just thought with the style of the watch it looked nicer but what's the usual consensus?

I'm not gonna try and fool anyone that this is a real watch worth many many thousands of pounds. Personally I just like the look so want it to look minty fresh although I hear for vintaging andyblue is the man...

LHOOQ

Which rep was it? Choice of color really depends on your personal preference or what you're trying to replicate. White is roughly how the tritium would look if you'd traveled back in time, stayed there, and bought the watch brand-new. Alternatively, you'll find white Luminova on service dials from the late-90s onward. Tritium will age in any number of ways, resulting in many shades of yellow. I've yet to see an out-of-the-box rep with a convincing shade of yellow, but a little vintaging will help.

Edited by LHOOQ

baxter

yeah the yellow out the box lume looks rubbish - go white.

StormyNight

Go white, the yellows always look horrid!

Get the aged trit look by sending it to Rolex Addict

Get it "creamy and puffy" like tritium would go, but not glowing in the dark like a beacon!

Seen so many "vintage Rolex" reps with "tritium lume" completely ruined with creamy/yellowed/aged markers yet the still light up like a bastard! :/

AndyBlue
Just ordered my first rep of a vintage watch (Rolex) and had the option to have it with white or yellowed markers. Went with the white as just thought with the style of the watch it looked nicer but what's the usual consensus?

I'm not gonna try and fool anyone that this is a real watch worth many many thousands of pounds. Personally I just like the look so want it to look minty fresh although I hear for vintaging andyblue is the man...

Your are correct I am indeed a god in the world of vintage. Unfortunately I have retired, I believe I peaked to soon with my first masterpiece and no longer feel I can replicate my fine work.

ShovelnTC

Yeah it's a personal taste thing so there's no right or wrong answer.

I personally like anything I have be it watches, guitars, cars or bikes to look mint and that includes vintages.

Some people see "vintage" where as I just see "old".

I prefer to imagine myself walking out of the AD back in the day with my brand new watch rather than coming out of the pawn brokers with some old watch which is perceved as valuable just because it is old but that's just me.

So my vote is for white lume.

dfq23

Which rep was it? Choice of color really depends on your personal preference or what you're trying to replicate. White is roughly how the tritium would look if you'd traveled back in time, stayed there, and bought the watch brand-new. Alternatively, you'll find white Luminova on service dials from the late-90s onward. Tritium will age in any number of ways, resulting in many shades of yellow. I've yet to see an out-of-the-box rep with a convincing shade of yellow, but a little vintaging will help.

Vintage milgauss black dial

BadPickle

Your are correct I am indeed a god in the world of vintage. Unfortunately I have retired, I believe I peaked to soon with my first masterpiece and no longer feel I can replicate my fine work.

That was epic,,the stuff of legend, there's whispers in watchsmiths back rooms about that watch... People say its just an urban myth..... But we know...... :P