Sign in to follow this  
GC

Movt Service A7750... Part II

GC

Just thought I'd share the follow up pics & e-mail of the completed movt service of my Skyland by RWI member "14060 or 16610". I received the watch back and it is running strong which I'm very chuffed about because it's a stunning watch IMO, even with the extra cost of having to service the movt. I would like to also add that "14060 or 16610" was a true pleasure to deal with and I can, without any reservations, highly recommend his services to anyone that needs to have their movts serviced.

"Hi there, please see attached pics. Just want you to know service is complete and the watch is running great. A few notes:

* The reverser click spring was deformed. I don't like re-bending them once they've been creased, as the crease can actually crack, sending a piece of metal floating around the movement. So I replaced from a spare. There is an additional $7 charge for this.

* The escape and seconds wheels were fine after assembly. I realized the strange screw piece was the adjusting eccentric for the 30-minute jumper spring. I didn't readily recognize it because I've never had to remove one. But on your movement the hole for this piece was just bored out way too big, and the piece won't stay pressed into it. So when adjusting the jumper spring I just manually pushed it with a screwdriver and tightened the screw. I didn't try to replace the eccentric because it would just fall out again and could kill the movement next time.

* The fiber or cloth on the escape lever came off easily with a cleaning in One Dip.

* The dial markings and engravings were all askew (this is pretty common on the Skyland). So I did my best to line up the chrono subdial hands. On one of them I simply lined the hand up parallel with the engraved lines even though it didn't appear to point exactly to zero.

* The center chrono seconds hand was similarly "averaged" out in its placement, since the 12:00 on the outer rim does not really line up with the 12:00 on the dial. It's about as centered as it's going to get. While the hand is fairly tight, please resist the urge to reset the chrono outside of the 11 and 1 zone. I can't be responsible if the hand slips due to resetting outside this zone.

* The final rate of the watch is about +1 to +2 seconds/day in the dial-up position. Please note that gravity (position), temperature, and level of activity can affect the rate significantly, and real-world rate may vary. The beat error is pretty low, though not as low as I typically strive for. I could have tried to get it lower, but the rate and stability of the movement were just so fantastic that I decided not to mess with it any further. In the rep world you sometimes have to appreciate what you already have.

* Last but not least, the rotor. It is NOISY even after lubrication. Much noisier than usual; sounds like a baby's rattle. I can certainly send the watch as-is, but if you want me to replace the rotor with a quieter spare I can do so for an additional $15. It may be a generic or Daytona, though, that's all I have (no Breitling on hand at the moment). Let me know.

It's a nice watch that is running very well and will have a long life. I just have to grease the o-ring and tighten the caseback, then I can probably ship back today if I hear back from you in time. Please get back to me regarding the rotor.

Thanks.

G"

DSCF7228.jpg

DSCF7229.jpg

DSCF7231.jpg

DSCF7232.jpg

DSCF7237.jpg

DSCF7238.jpg

DSCF7239.jpg

DSCF7241.jpg

DSCF7242.jpg

DSCF7243.jpg

DSCF7244.jpg

DSCF7245.jpg

DSCF7246.jpg

DSCF7247.jpg

DSCF7248.jpg

DSCF7249.jpg

DSCF7250.jpg

DSCF7252.jpg

DSCF7253.jpg

DSCF7254.jpg

DSCF7255.jpg

DSCF7257.jpg

DSCF7258.jpg

DSCF7259.jpg

DSCF7260.jpg

02_final.jpg

Luthier

Somebody promised to PM me email of this guy...

:kinkythegayviking:

AllergyDoc

I'm concerned, though, about all the time he spends photographing and Photoshopping his work. Seems he's spending as much time doing that as doing the actual repairs. No need to take a pic of a drop of oil on a watch part.

GC
Somebody promised to PM me email of this guy...

:kinkythegayviking:

PM sent... sorry about that, it slipped my mind!

GC
I'm concerned, though, about all the time he spends photographing and Photoshopping his work. Seems he's spending as much time doing that as doing the actual repairs. No need to take a pic of a drop of oil on a watch part.

He told me it only takes him circa 3-4hours from start to finish to service a movt, I'm guess'n that includes all the pics too. All I can say is he must really know his stuff!

Silverspeed

Impressive....looks like the guy enjoys his work

Drhulee

How long does one usually let parts sit in the one-dip solution? And is it true that lighter fluid or white gasoline can be used instead (can't locate anybody in Canada that sells the stuff)?

EDIT: sorry just realized the cleaning was not done by the OP, but still if anyone has the answer :kinkythegayviking:

Guest 14060 or 16610?
I'm concerned, though, about all the time he spends photographing and Photoshopping his work. Seems he's spending as much time doing that as doing the actual repairs.

Just joined this forum and just saw this thread.

Photoshopping? I never touch-up a single photo I take. I definitely add captions and reduce the size so the attachments are not huge, and I may zoom in so you get a better look.

No need to take a pic of a drop of oil on a watch part.

Yes, there is a need to take a pic. It's part of my service. It is proof that this step was actually carried out PROPERLY. It justifies the price I charge.

There are plenty of "watchsmiths" out there who charge $75 or less for a full service on an A7750. They can lowball because they skip most major steps. Oh, they may SAY they removed and cleaned the balance, and properly oiled the balance jewels before reassembly, but can they prove it? Nope. And that's usually because it's never actually done. And that's usually why their work ends up on my bench, where I properly disassemble it and can tell that these parts have never even been touched. In fact I have opened up watches sent to me after other "watchsmiths" have worked on them and found dirt, hair, magnetized hairsprings, dry pivots, etc. No evidence of having actually been worked on. But the "watchsmith" had no problem collecting a hundred bucks from the customer. I suspect they just put it on the analyzer, regulate it, and send it back. It's a growing trend, and I'd say 50 percent of my work is received this way.

Taking a photo takes all of 2 seconds. And this is my hobby; I'm an IT Division Manager by day. I enjoy taking my time with my hobby and doing the job right.

How would you feel if you sent your watch and paid good money to a "watchsmith" for a full service only to receive it back with the same issues? Do you seriously think that taking an extra 5 minutes to add photos and watch timing analyzer results adds no value to the service?

Edited by 14060 or 16610?

greg_r

14060 or 16610?:

Good to see you here. Welcome to RWG! ;)

Just wanted to say how impressed I am by GC's reports on your work - AND by your photos. It's always a pleasure to see someone who not only takes pride in what he does, but also believes in being completely upfront about what their customer gets for their dough. A very refreshing approach and I share your view that it adds value - not only is it an indicator that the job is being done properly, but it's also fascinating to see!

pollux1
14060 or 16610?:

Good to see you here. Welcome to RWG! ;)

Just wanted to say how impressed I am by GC's reports on your work - AND by your photos. It's always a pleasure to see someone who not only takes pride in what he does, but also believes in being completely upfront about what their customer gets for their dough. A very refreshing approach and I share your view that it adds value - not only is it an indicator that the job is being done properly, but it's also fascinating to see!

+1000000000!

Brightlight
How would you feel if you sent your watch and paid good money to a "watchsmith" for a full service only to receive it back with the same issues? Do you seriously think that taking an extra 5 minutes to add photos and watch timing analyzer results adds no value to the service?

Couldn't agree more. It's something I would aspire to do though I'm not set up for this at the moment, setting up the camera and taking photos on a dual function desk is just too time consuming, though I will certainly photograph any problems found and anything specific the customer requests. I have started providing the watch timing analyser results now I have a digital machine, my previous Greiner paper tape analyser didn't lend itself to this as the customer would be unable to interpret the results!

Congratulations on providing a first class service!

Drhulee

I could always just send it to PWC/Robert's professional watchsmith, and get all that work done for $3 or $4 an hour. And of course I believe his professional will use all the proper oils and keep his lunch from entering the movement. :lol:

prestigewatchco

I could always just send it to PWC/Robert's professional watchsmith, and get all that work done for $3 or $4 an hour. And of course I believe his professional will use all the proper oils and keep his lunch from entering the movement. :lol:

The guys in Bangkok will jump over these part time watchsmiths head . they are doing it 24/7 as a main job not a few hours a night and on weekends having taken a correspondence course in "How To be a watchsmith and earn a second income"

What good watchsmith couldn't make the hands fit from a 7750 to a Swiss 7750 the guys in Bangkok would do it and not mention they had to just get on with and get it done

It's fine knowing what the correct oil for an ETA is but when you are working on Chinese movements all that is out the window. A little like running your Russian made car on fully synthetic oil because it's a copy of a Porsche engine only to find that 20/50 multigrade works better because the tolerance is not as good as the gen and the thin oil just passes the piston rings.

Drhulee

I could always just send it to PWC/Robert's professional watchsmith, and get all that work done for $3 or $4 an hour. And of course I believe his professional will use all the proper oils and keep his lunch from entering the movement. :D

The guys in Bangkok will jump over these part time watchsmiths head . they are doing it 24/7 as a main job not a few hours a night and on weekends having taken a correspondence course in "How To be a watchsmith and earn a second income"

What good watchsmith couldn't make the hands fit from a 7750 to a Swiss 7750 the guys in Bangkok would do it and not mention they had to just get on with and get it done

It's fine knowing what the correct oil for an ETA is but when you are working on Chinese movements all that is out the window. A little like running your Russian made car on fully synthetic oil because it's a copy of a Porsche engine only to find that 20/50 multigrade works better because the tolerance is not as good as the gen and the thin oil just passes the piston rings.

What a shame, all that expertise and professionalism, and you still have no problem restricting what you pay them to a little more than a couple of dollars an hour. Luckily they live in a country where they can still survive with that pittance of a salary I guess.

As for the assumption that the Chinese movements are that inferior the their Swiss counterparts (talking 6497 and base 7750), I don't think there is any truth in that statement anymore with the proper Q.C. and servicing done afterwards.

hozso

hello,where is the buy part????thanks

dobo101

please pm me this guys email whenever you have a chance