Sign in to follow this  
watchsean7

Shed some light on Omega POs / Summer of 2014

watchsean7

First – WOW what a great site. I love it.

After putting this post up, I have come to learn, they are not a trusted dealer. Also, this was 5am when I posted this, so... its a bit of a mess. Sorry.

Secondly; I would like to thank you all very much and I would gladly like to repay anyone who helps! But... how about I buy the guy who helps the most... I buy him a case of beer. (a normal case, ha)

Watch: I would prefer to get something that looks 95% of that part…..and is very reliable vs. say something that looks 99% awesome BUT and breaks down. Thats just my preference. "working watch over good looks" wins in my books.

Before you guys say “Please search”. Trust me, I have searched. With these PO oceans, the more you search - the more mud you find. Trust me!!!

So I have searched and searched some more.

My small problem is this. I have researched so many Planet Oceans, I am back to square one. I dont know what to believe. My question is about 4 basically the same watches priced differently. Can an expert tell me why?

Also... Toro selling noobs and not sending them (as I have seen in many other comment) is worrying me also. Its happened 6 times reportedly. (remember, I do search)

------------This section contained the watches-----------

(1) watch Price $268

Description Planet Ocean 42mm Liquidmetal 1:1 Noob Best Edition (notice the “best edition” ha) http://puretime-asia...b-best-edition/

Asian 2836 automatic movement at 28800vph

(watch 2) 378

Planet Ocean Professional Ceramic Bezel 42mm 1:1 Noob Best Edition on SS Bracelet A2836

http://puretime-asia.com/product/planet-ocean-professional-ceramic-bezel-42mm-11-noob-best-edition-on-ss-bracelet-a2836/

Asian 2836 automatic movement at 28800vph with decorated rotor

Watch 3 - $298

Planet Ocean 42mm Liquidmetal Limited Edition 1:1 Noob Best Edition

Link http://puretime-asia.com/product/planet-ocean-42mm-liquidmetal-limited-edition-11-noob-best-edition/

Asian 2824 clone 25J automatic movement at 28800vph

Watch 4 - $428- most expensive watch The Planet Ocean Ultimate Edition Black/White on SS Bracelet ETA2836 This is know why is different, as its “special edition, I see that part)

Link: Planet Ocean 42mm Liquidmetal

http://puretime-asia.com/product/planet-ocean-42mm-ultimate-edition-blackwhite-on-ss-bracelet-eta2836/

Nickel plated ETA-2836-2 25J automatic movement at 28800vph

--------------------

Thanks guys.

I have

I owe you guys and I will do my best to pay you back.

Edited by watchsean7

greg_r

Firstly: Linking to an image that's on your computer isn't going to work. You need to host your photos somewhere online.

See here for instructions to use Flickr (other hosting sites work in a similar way) http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=45382

Secondly Puretime are NOT a trusted dealer here.

Thirdly: There are two main makers of the Omega PO. BP factory and noob factory. Both are good - I have the BP version myself. You won't go too far wrong with either.

James.

:lmao: good old computer links

watchsean7

Thanks for both comments.

Has anyone bought any recently then? If so... which store? Thanks

Firstly: Linking to an image that's on your computer isn't going to work. You need to host your photos somewhere online.

See here for instructions to use Flickr (other hosting sites work in a similar way) http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=45382

Secondly Puretime are NOT a trusted dealer here.

Thirdly: There are two main makers of the Omega PO. BP factory and noob factory. Both are good - I have the BP version myself. You won't go too far wrong with either.

JSJ

You want us to tell you which rep won't break down? Nobody can tell you that.

You want us to tell you which store we used? Oh. More reading and understanding needed. Most TDs can get most watches although as you say, POs are quite complicated. Listen to the boss.

watchsean7

JSJ - Thanks for helping. You also Chief Hamster Wrangler.

Thanks am just a dude trying his hardest to do his part. They must be as you say.. hard to get. I don't want my hand held, I just have questions that I have seen different answers to. No big deal. I didnt mean to make a huge post. ha. For example: The new movement with the see through back. Is this still the most solid? This is s very fluid question, as things change. - Is there a great noob with a see through back?

I assumed from my reading that the old, closed back was very solid. BUT... as I said...things change and many places are now saying the see though is "The best 1:1" replica. No one says on the boards "They are lying its marketing BS". Trusted dealers or not.

I dont mind spending the money, but I cant even do that. :( It just must be out of stock, as you say. So I was just looking to honestly see through all the BS. For instance I dont know the difference in Liq Metal and Ceramic Bezel STILL....and I have been reading for a week every night for 6-7 hours per night. I mean... I love it. I love it all... I simple love it. So please dont take my tone as anything but my own frustration.

FOR INSTANCE: I am trying to learn how to tell what a movement is, by just looking at the back. Do I just need to study all movements?

The current NOOB, that is great ....is this closed back or not?

Also - Has anyone, in the last 30 days purchased one? Things like this.

Again... I am not bitching, I love it. I f-ing love it. Its an awesome hobby. I am ALSO just frustrated because I've tried to buy 3 times now, only to be told they are out of stock.

All this, combined with the fact that I bought 3 watches, (6 attempts because of credit card issues, 2 bank calls, over 7 days) all of which I got an emails saying basically our website lied, we are out of stock, we dont know shit, sorry. So I am learning. My bad guys!!

Again... I love this website. Sorry if it seems any other way, but I am so new.... and all I want to do is pay for a watch. haha.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the rant. I will now email the TDs and not bother you guys. I just thought someone here... would know some current details, Im new and thought it would be easy. :)

Thanks

You want us to tell you which rep won't break down? Nobody can tell you that.

You want us to tell you which store we used? Oh. More reading and understanding needed. Most TDs can get most watches although as you say, POs are quite complicated. Listen to the boss.

Edited by watchsean7

Watchlover1975

I feel your pain dude. The PO is my next purchase. Been looking and searching for the best one that suits me. Too much choice can sometimes be a bad thing. Especially when the things you want to buy are half way around the world and you can't physical inspect them.

Left Coast Guy

To start, I tried to follow your links but the four links pointed to only two watches -- you linked to the $298 and $378 version twice and missed the other two. So I'll just do my best to give you the lay of the land when it comes to POs.

Next, attention to detail goes a long way in this hobby if you want to be able to tell between versions and compare to the gens. Go to the Omega website and compare side by side images. Just on first blush, the $428 version is a Swiss (stated) movement so that explains why its the most expensive. The $298 version has the correct notched bezel, but incorrect dime edge on the crown and HE valve. The $378 version has the correct bezel and crown, but has the 2836 mov't versus the 2824 mov't which I don't know about. I don't think there is an issue with the mov't reliability, but rather that there may be sunken date wheel as the 2836 usually has a GMT hand -- but that's just a guess, the 2836 may be fine.

So to take a step back, there have been a few evolutions of the gen POs over the last 5 years. The key points being (1) transition from dime edge to notched edge on bezel, crown and HE valve (2) metal 12, 6, 9 markers vs. painted on the dial, (3) metal Omega logo vs painted logo. In terms of lingo, I think the older version with the painted dial and dime edge is the 2500 and the newer version (released in 2013) is the 8500. So if you're looking for the most up-to-date version, look for those three points. As an example, the Toro version the guys have linked to has the wrong crown and HE valve, that crown and HE valve are from 2500 model.

Finally, in terms of movement and movement decoration, I'd recommend you just go for a movement with a smooth sweep and ignore the caseback or movement decoration. First, its highly unlikely that anyone will see the back and further unlikely that if they do they can tell the difference. Second, the only situation where you could tell the difference is if you compared directly to a gen, and in that case no rep is going to hold up, so why bother? I'd say an asian 2824 will do the trick just fine.

I'm sure you can get that version from any TD, but here's a link for reference. This looks to be the latest correct Noob version.

http://www.tswatchltd.com/14823-om14823-planet-ocean-professional-ceramic-noob-1-1-best-ss-a2824-.html

watchsean7

Thank you, and I mean a lot. I will re-read this right away, but I just wanted to say thank you. I think the reason for only 2 links on my original post, was a cut and paste thing. My text editor did that... and my smiley faces, it was trying to pull physical documents from my computer. So... I just got done with fireworks, but when I get on my machine, I can show you the 4 omegas, but... after reading your wonderful write up, I am sure we both agree it doesn't matter. You should see my internet "shortcuts". I just didnt want you to think I was nuts. So a big thanks to you afdaddy.

Also to the two gentleman who voted for a watch. Thanks to you also. Again, really. ToroB said they are all out of stock 2 days ago, I'll ask again for this specifically and maybe get lucky. I didnt try TS yet and will tonight or first thing tomorrow.

Now let me get home and re-read this, like its the bible. Thanks again!!

To start, I tried to follow your links but the four links pointed to only two watches -- you linked to the $298 and $378 version twice and missed the other two. So I'll just do my best to give you the lay of the land when it comes to POs.

Next, attention to detail goes a long way in this hobby if you want to be able to tell between versions and compare to the gens. Go to the Omega website and compare side by side images. Just on first blush, the $428 version is a Swiss (stated) movement so that explains why its the most expensive. The $298 version has the correct notched bezel, but incorrect dime edge on the crown and HE valve. The $378 version has the correct bezel and crown, but has the 2836 mov't versus the 2824 mov't which I don't know about. I don't think there is an issue with the mov't reliability, but rather that there may be sunken date wheel as the 2836 usually has a GMT hand -- but that's just a guess, the 2836 may be fine.

So to take a step back, there have been a few evolutions of the gen POs over the last 5 years. The key points being (1) transition from dime edge to notched edge on bezel, crown and HE valve (2) metal 12, 6, 9 markers vs. painted on the dial, (3) metal Omega logo vs painted logo. In terms of lingo, I think the older version with the painted dial and dime edge is the 2500 and the newer version (released in 2013) is the 8500. So if you're looking for the most up-to-date version, look for those three points. As an example, the Toro version the guys have linked to has the wrong crown and HE valve, that crown and HE valve are from 2500 model.

Finally, in terms of movement and movement decoration, I'd recommend you just go for a movement with a smooth sweep and ignore the caseback or movement decoration. First, its highly unlikely that anyone will see the back and further unlikely that if they do they can tell the difference. Second, the only situation where you could tell the difference is if you compared directly to a gen, and in that case no rep is going to hold up, so why bother? I'd say an asian 2824 will do the trick just fine.

I'm sure you can get that version from any TD, but here's a link for reference. This looks to be the latest correct Noob version.

http://www.tswatchlt...-ss-a2824-.html

JSJ

The 2836.is just the day/date version of the 2824. For a PO it is effectively the same as the PO has no day display.

OP you say you've read a lot but it doesn't seem to be sinking in. If you buy from TDs, it doesn't matter which one you use. TDs here. Not TDs elsewhere.

If you write emails like you write posts the TDs will struggle to understand you.

You are overthinking. Please buy a PO soon. Any PO from a TD here.

watchsean7

Working on one now JSJ. I have a watch in the works. Thanks for your suggestions on who to use and your links. Super helpful. And to be clear, I DID NOT ask what WOULDNT break down. I think I said "most dependable" PO, as there are many debates on movements current (as you know, as I am sure you read as much as me)

And how I communicate with TDs. I am not Johnny Bananas... its is easy to communicate. I BUY!!!! Then they tell me its not available. Pretty simple. We agree, I have a lot to learn JSJ

So again.... I have something in the works. Thanks again. ... I have my fingers crossed the payment goes through now.

The 2836.is just the day/date version of the 2824. For a PO it is effectively the same as the PO has no day display.

OP you say you've read a lot but it doesn't seem to be sinking in. If you buy from TDs, it doesn't matter which one you use. TDs here. Not TDs elsewhere.

If you write emails like you write posts the TDs will struggle to understand you.

You are overthinking. Please buy a PO soon. Any PO from a TD here.

BC1221

from what im reading lately, everyone is pretty much out of noob and bp factory POs.

your best bet would be to score one in a M2M deal. theres actually a BP and a Noob LM for sale on the other forum.

id hurry though. those typically dont last too long.

PO is a great watch. i have the BP one and absolutely love it. very well made except for the damn fading bezel.

samadkins29

Get this one and call it a day:

http://www.torobravo...&product_id=843

I'll put my vote on this one from Toro as well.

Yeap... What these guys said. I got mine in 6 days including a weekend from Toro. That was from order placed to on my wrist!

watchsean7

Yeah, I was hoping for a clear back.

Did you do a review? Was it perfect? Flawless? I am happy for you man. Mine is close, I feel it.!!!

Yeap... What these guys said. I got mine in 6 days including a weekend from Toro. That was from order placed to on my wrist!

z k

I wish they had this one for sale. The newest noob PO with the clear case back is out of stock at all the dealers I've contacted.

Left Coast Guy

I wish they had this one for sale. The newest noob PO with the clear case back is out of stock at all the dealers I've contacted.

Check Fat Panda's "in stock" section. I swear I just saw a correct 8500 series 42MM PO in there in the last few days...$348 if I remember right...

samadkins29

Yeah, I was hoping for a clear back.

Did you do a review? Was it perfect? Flawless? I am happy for you man. Mine is close, I feel it.!!!

(Quotes go abit out of hand) - Yes it is flawless. I couldn't ask for a better rep. I did not do a review on it since a buying frenzy on this model was under way and many people bought and did reviews on them. I also scratched the watch since its my daily. I chose this model because t looks 100% authentic from the outside. The ones with the clear back are missing markings. I hope they are getting redone and that's why they are not avail. But for the time being I recommend the LMPO since its a great rep!

RUSH2112

I have the 42" pumpkin from trusty (BP model) and it's great. I bought about 9 months ago. Great rep

Vreds

(Quotes go abit out of hand) - Yes it is flawless. I couldn't ask for a better rep. I did not do a review on it since a buying frenzy on this model was under way and many people bought and did reviews on them. I also scratched the watch since its my daily. I chose this model because t looks 100% authentic from the outside. The ones with the clear back are missing markings. I hope they are getting redone and that's why they are not avail. But for the time being I recommend the LMPO since its a great rep!

Well it's not flawless. Second hand is orange, it should be red like the color of "seamaster" on the dial. You can also see a small difference on the bezel if u compare it to the gen. However, nobody will ever notice that, especially not if they don't own the gen.

samadkins29

Well it's not flawless. Second hand is orange, it should be red like the color of "seamaster" on the dial. You can also see a small difference on the bezel if u compare it to the gen. However, nobody will ever notice that, especially not if they don't own the gen.

Fair enough. There are several tells. I guess what I was trying to say is those tells are really hard to see unless you have a gen in front of you. Other reps have obvious flaws (like numbers not being straight, etc.)