Sign in to follow this  
dzelzcels

Is it a problem?

dzelzcels

Hi all,

I just received my first rep pam111 from Mary! It's a very nice watch however one thing is bugging me about it. The adjustment dagger is pushed all the way to the "-" sign and the adjustment pin is not even touching the dagger. Is it normal and should I be expecting that it's going to gain time?

Then another question. I've read that it is a good idea to take a new watch for service before using it. Is that something I should do? It has A6497.

Thanks!

Two pics:

wdHuA-8d404aaa.jpg

wamYA-4b64f3e4.jpg

Brightlight

Might be worth having that checked on a watch analyser and possibly demagnetised and regulated as that is an extreme of adjustment. Generally the A6497s are fairly bulletproof so don't usually require servicing 'out of the box' but if a problem shows up that may be the next step.

greg_r

I wouldn't bother getting it serviced until or unless it needs it. The 6497 is a very reliable movement.

On some of the asian 6497s the swan neck is actually cosmetic and doesn't serve any useful purpose. It's unusual to see the regulator that far off center, though, and it probably means that the movement could use a little adjustment. However, if the look of it it doesn't bother you and the watch keeps decent time on the wrist, I wouldn't personally be inclined to worry about it - it can always be adjusted in a couple of years when it needs its first service.

dzelzcels
I wouldn't bother getting it serviced until or unless it needs it. The 6497 is a very reliable movement.

On some of the asian 6497s the swan neck is actually cosmetic and doesn't serve any useful purpose. It's unusual to see the regulator that far off center, though, and it probably means that the movement could use a little adjustment. However, if the look of it it doesn't bother you and the watch keeps decent time on the wrist, I wouldn't personally be inclined to worry about it - it can always be adjusted in a couple of years when it needs its first service.

Well, to be honest the look does bother me a little B). If the dagger is only cosmetic how do you adjust the movement? Would it mess up something if I just moved it into a normal position? I have a good watchsmith who could do that for me. Or should I just relax and leave it alone?

greg_r

Well, to be honest the look does bother me a little B). If the dagger is only cosmetic how do you adjust the movement? Would it mess up something if I just moved it into a normal position? I have a good watchsmith who could do that for me. Or should I just relax and leave it alone?

The dagger is NOT cosmetic. It's the swan neck that's cosmetic - the dagger is the actual regulator. Don't move it without having the movement regulated or you'll find that it no longer keeps accurate time.

dingle

Mine looks the same and keeps great time.......I actually forget the case back is clear when it is on the wrist B)

greg_r
Mine looks the same and keeps great time.......I actually forget the case back is clear when it is on the wrist ;)

No it doesn't - your has a working swan-neck reg (swiss movement), and the 'dagger' is in the center (well it was when it was mine! :lol:)

dingle
Mine looks the same and keeps great time.......I actually forget the case back is clear when it is on the wrist ;)

No it doesn't - yours has a working swan-neck reg (swiss movement), and the 'dagger' is in the center (well it was when it was mine! :lol:)

nanna, nanna, boo,boo ;)

sconehead

...damn those magnetic wrists of yours Ding...:lol:

dzelzcels

Thanks, guys! Ok, I think for now I'm just going to see how it's keeping time and if it gains some then will email Mary or take it for service.

Luthier

Very nice watch, Railroad Man! A Beauty!!!

Good choice. How it keep the time?

dzelzcels
Very nice watch, Railroad Man! A Beauty!!!

Good choice. How it keep the time?

What's up old man Luthier! Yeah I got my first rep and as a typical noob I'm making fuss about nothing :beer2:. I've got a nice watch and I'm sure it will serve me well. For now it hasn't lost any time. Hope it stays that way!

Edited by dzelzcels

dzelzcels

Gentlemen, I just quickly wanted to show off with my other watch I received back on last weekend. It's my great-grandfather's pocket watch. It is from 1880 and was one the watches that began Zenith brand. Georges Favre Jacot (founded Zenith) made it in his shed workshop before starting the factory. He didn't even use his brand it was J.F.Boutte who was the dealer. I got the watch couple of years ago but hadn't had a chance to restore it since it was in bad shape. Some time ago finally found a good watchmaker and here is the result. Ah, in addition I found a new chain from the same period as well.

HCFH9-f8442d28.jpg

HCS9S-bb19c921.jpg

HCX99-00e54216.jpg

HD3DA-471ac206.jpg

HD67J-f5015b44.jpg

Luthier

Ak, Mans Dievs!!!

If I'd be you- I'd make special case, about 48mm big, and transplant this beauty into it. I'd save all backplate beauty too.

Lucky you!!!

Edit - I just noticed it has key winding holes on the back... BEAUTY!!!

greg_r

Beautiful pocket watch! Keep it. Treasure it. :)

dzelzcels

Yeah, it's kind of cool to know the story as well. At first it was hard to gather any history on the watch since it's not any of the big brands. But when I found out who was the Jacot, man I was happy :) I'll definitely get a nice display for it. I found one in the States on a pocket watch collectors' site.