Sign in to follow this  
Elvis

Overwhelmed

Elvis

Hi all, been reading through this excellent forum and managed to confuse myself stupid........I have just ordered this watch, http://houseofsouvenirs.com/tagheuer/carre...agheuer_574.htm which is described as having an 'Asian automatic movement' - I read through Greg R's 'Movements Found In Reps' but couldn't find this movement.

I am wondering if the movement is any good (from a standpoint of losing/gaining time) and if the small sub-dials will operate?

Cheers.

PS. Has anyone bought one of these?

http://houseofsouvenirs.com/tagheuer/monaco/tagheuer_838.htm

Akira
Hi all, been reading through this excellent forum and managed to confuse myself stupid........I have just ordered this watch, http://houseofsouvenirs.com/tagheuer/carre...agheuer_574.htm which is described as having an 'Asian automatic movement' - I read through Greg R's 'Movements Found In Reps' but couldn't find this movement.

I am wondering if the movement is any good (from a standpoint of losing/gaining time) and if the small sub-dials will operate?

Cheers.

PS. Has anyone bought one of these?

http://houseofsouvenirs.com/tagheuer/monaco/tagheuer_838.htm

most likely its this

1. 21J/DG2813. This is a generic term used to cover a wide variety of cheap Chinese movements - some are better than others, but as a general rule they are low-beat (21,600vph / 6 'ticks' per second) movements, very cheaply built (from as little as $7 for the whole movement) but generally reliable and easy to live with. Usually automatic, but occasionally hand wind, dependent on the watch. A lot of really nice budget watches come with these fitted and whilst the sweep isn't as smooth as, say, a gen Rolex, they're damned good value for money and can just be thrown away and replaced if they break or need a service because they are so cheap.

but could be a high beat as well, you have to ask lawrence

prestigewatchco

Good God people do you never read anything! It's there in big letters JAPANESE QUARTZ

Brightlight
Good God people do you never read anything! It's there in big letters JAPANESE QUARTZ

The second one is, but the first URL is a cheap 21J auto by the looks of it.

KBH

Ooops! You missed it Robert. He's got two listed and the first is 21j. ;) I did the same thing.

And no Elvis, that movement is not a chronograph. Instead of time counters as per the gen you have fake day and date counters. I would save my money, if I were you. If you want a Chrono watch either get a quartz cheapie or spend the money for a real 7750 movement. A good quality chrono will cost around $300+.

Elvis

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, most helpful.

Good God people do you never read anything!

I guess you may ask yourself the same question.

Elvis
If you want a Chrono watch either get a quartz cheapie........

Anything you could recommend?

Would the second watch I posted fit the bill ie. 'Asian Quartz'?

Edited by Elvis

greg_r
If you want a Chrono watch either get a quartz cheapie........

Anything you could recommend?

Would the second watch I posted fit the bill ie. 'Asian Quartz'?

Yep

KBH

If you want a cheap reliable and accurate time keeping movement, yes the second will do. Just be aware it's not a very accurate rep particularly with the glass case back. It will also tic noticeably rather than have a sweep second hand like the gen. The only quartz that would interest me would be if the gen also came in a quartz model.

I personally would forget chrono watches if you're only going to spend around $100 and look at some non chrono watches. There are many great reps for between $100 and $200, just not chronos.

But really, you should get a watch that pleases you, not everyone else.

Elvis
If you want a cheap reliable and accurate time keeping movement, yes the second will do. Just be aware it's not a very accurate rep particularly with the glass case back. It will also tic noticeably rather than have a sweep second hand like the gen. The only quartz that would interest me would be if the gen also came in a quartz model.

I personally would forget chrono watches if you're only going to spend around $100 and look at some non chrono watches. There are many great reps for between $100 and $200, just not chronos.

But really, you should get a watch that pleases you, not everyone else.

Great advice....appreciate it.

Being an obvious noob to the rep world I had decided to limit my initial outlay though I may reconsider thanks to advice received here.

KBH
Great advice....appreciate it.

Being an obvious noob to the rep world I had decided to limit my initial outlay though I may reconsider thanks to advice received here.

My work here is done ;) Time for breakfast.

Actually, best advice is to not rush into buying the first thing you see. Do your homework and read up, particularly the watch reviews. There's a wealth of information available and you can find an awesome watch 95% like the gen for very reasonable money. There's also a lot a crappy reps that may look nice but are really not close to the gen model at all.

Member X

I would always recommend taking a month or more before buying - gives you a chance to get familiar with what you like and need to look for :rofl:

And only occasionally do you need to rush a purchase, 99% of the time the rep you fancy will still be available when you're ready to order!