Sign in to follow this  
toomanywatches

Making Vintage Pearl For The Bezel

toomanywatches

UPDATED WITH PICTURES!!! This tutorial is for the making of a vintage pearl for the DSN 52mm Egi, but is adaptable to other watches.

Need:

-Jeweler's Epoxy (any type will do)

-Lume Compound (Vintage or Tinted with with clear paint)

-Toothpicks or Applicator

DSC_01303.jpg

DSC_01293.jpg

Remove old pearl by drilling/prying it out. Old pearl is attached to a steel cap of sorts, will come off in one piece. Leaving underlying bezel marker with middle recess that will receive new pearl. By not using the steel cap, the finished vintage pearl will have the perfect height and not stick out too much. Clean area by jamming a bit of cleaning cloth damp with rubbing alcohol with tip of toothpick.:

DSC_01282.jpg

Then you can make your own vintage pearl by mixing 5 parts vintage lume (sounds a lot, but if you use less it will be too dim - I used WatchLume vintage lume) to 1 part resin portion of jeweller's epoxy:

DSC_01314.jpg

The resulting mix is really thick, don't worry it will be diluted to the proper consistency once you add the hardening agent:

DSC_01323.jpg

Mix thoroughly and add 1 part hardening portion of jeweller's epoxy:

DSC_01332.jpg

Mix well with toothpick (its going to be fairly thick):

DSC_0134-1.jpg

Apply a pearl amount to bezel marker recess with toothpick. Make sure you push tip of toothpick to bottom of bezel marker hole you are filling (ensures that recess fills completely with epoxy mix). Lay watch on surface making sure that the bezel is level to allow for proper formation of pearl (via surface tension) and drying. Let dry a couple hours, presto... :

DSC_0136-1.jpg

You can use leftover to lume 15/30/45 bezel marker engravings... apply and push into these number engravings, wait 30 seconds and wipe off excess. let dry. Here is the finished results:

DSC_01372.jpg

greg_r

Great tute! Gonna be useful for a lot of folks is my guess :rolleyes:

Will move and pin this to the top of the watch reference and repair section, if you don't mind - more likely to be found there...

toomanywatches
Great tute! Gonna be useful for a lot of folks is my guess :D

Will move and pin this to the top of the watch reference and repair section, if you don't mind - more likely to be found there...

Don't mind at all G...thanks for moving it to the right spot.

KinCaidk

Thanks!! Very usefull..

sadly my hands are mounted wrongly from birth and after that dipped in LSD - so I ALWAYS end up screwing up something..

just ask Sconehead :D

tissotman

Thats a very cleaver idea will try this on an omega rep i have with missing pearl.