Sign in to follow this  
Lev

Watches and the hotel life!

Lev

So I work at a very prestigious hotel here in Berlin, so naturally you're surrounded by amazing watches, suits, and people all the time. Most people however do not have a fascination with watches like I do, nor the knowledge to really bring it up in conversation. So yesterday I had a meeting to start my apprenticeship in hotellerie and each of us had to make a small presentation to introduce ourselves.

I included a few of my hobbies as well since I've played guitar for about 8 years now and I love to cook, but also my chronometrophilia or love for horology. So I asked them if anyone knew what a chronometrophile was and no one did. I explained that I love and am fascinated by watches, something you see everyday in such an establishment, and such a topic can be a great way to engage a customer. Then I pulled out the big bomb. I said "my fascination and knowledge of watches lets me know that our beloved maitre d'hotel wears his rolex explorer everyday and leaves his submariner and jaeger lecoultre at home". Everybody was baffled and started clapping. He was a bit embarassed haha. I sat down and our GM said jokingly "I'm a bit sad that you haven't remarked upon my watch yet sir". I smiled and said "easy...it's a panerai luminor marina" and everyone just laughed and clapped again. Safe to say I will be ingrained in their minds for a while now. I got a lot of congratulations afterwards. Good start me thinks?

Batespcm

Nice gens or reps though?

Lev

100% gen but it wouldnt matter anyway as it wasnt about the quality of the watches but rather that I had an eye for details which were not disclosed to me. I've never asked to see his watch or talked about watches with any of them. Pure and unadulterated observation.