Sign in to follow this  
plankton

New Gen German dress diver; Vintage VDB

plankton

I will preface and say I'm well aware of the history here. Actually I feel very luck I wasn't around then because I get to enjoy a really incredible time piece.

I was looking for a large dresser / diver, thats what brought me to this one. Love the look, held at 10 ATM (thats all I can test for), swiss ETA movement keeps solid +1 spd after a little tweaking. 46mm bezel, 29mm strap, 49mm case width but the look of a much smaller vintage watch. Claimed at 500m WR, nice 5mm dome on the sapphire (which is extremely clear), lume cranks, 7 o'clock crown. I have to say, I gave this 3 weeks before writing about it and it really is a quality piece! Retail is $1660, I did request Jacob (Jacobs Straps) make me a 28mm / 26mm hornback strap to really show off the watch.

Now for some pics, opinions, maybe some curse words and a few compliments. Ok on with the show!

004_zps82effcd9.jpg001_zpsccf51340.jpg

015_zpsc08e2596.jpg

051_zps9c885192.jpg055_zps972dd680.jpg34627f38-3216-4f82-a66c-069c05f2a0a8_zps5d0c2c1c.jpg

onionbag

Smart as fresh paint, me likey. Interesting case shape and lefty crown make this a very individual piece.

Great choice. :clap:

plankton

It wears well, gets some attention and is less than 2k...I like it.

ellistyle1

That orange second hand makes it pop! It looks great on that strap. I don't think I could pull the look off though.

Very nice, sir

houndoggie

Nice piece! Looks great.

Fuck the maker though.

plankton

Thats what I hear, he made some mistakes years ago.

rusty peters

Good pick up. It's fun to venture off the beaten path, isn't it?

plankton

Good pick up. It's fun to venture off the beaten path, isn't it?

Yes it is, I really enjoy it.

gran

Love the vintage look and the lume

BentleySharp

It looks like a Seikemars Cartimega :lol:

gB.

Liking these polished VDB models as well. Picked up a 2013 LE from a friend. Didn't really care for the super thick strap it came with, but me likey the watch! Here it is on a custom tapered Micah. :)

128403d7-be95-45ad-a400-71dcb691a8f2_zpsf665c4ee.jpg

43672c8d-f679-4f5e-b77e-47f5e8ea9e4d_zps8ed435fa.jpg

I always thought the VDB watches were massively big, but some of the recent models are manageable sizes. This 2013 LE is similar to a PAM 111 in size, little thicker but balanced well. Here's a comparison pic (not mine, but friend who I bought it from).

9D96A705-4C8B-4F5E-B0AB-2DCABDCC554A_zpswabger1f.jpg

plankton

Wow, is that a 28/26mm strap. What a nice collection bro!! I love yours, nice look.

NFleischer

Them be some nice looking pieces. I think to big for me however.Congrats

ellistyle1

What is the story behind the maker? I couldn't find any info on his missteps

plankton

They apparently got into issues BS'ing people on modded work before they started this business. A past of unscrupulous behavior, but these watches are really built with quality.

ellistyle1

They apparently got into issues BS'ing people on modded work before they started this business. A past of unscrupulous behavior, but these watches are really built with quality.

Looks like they got that sorted because that piece is badass.

plankton

Looks like they got that sorted because that piece is badass.

Thanks, $1550 at a dealer out of New York. The rubber strap I just posted is the best ever, remarkably soft.

greg_r

He started out building rep vintage Panerai. Some of the builds were really shoddy work. Scammed the shit out of a bunch of people on the boards. Real asshole.

trailboss99

Hey Greg, pass the :vdb: please.

Yup nice watch but I wouldn't give the grub the muck they scrape from the bottom of the barrel let alone money.

I refuse to support a business built on the bones of previous customers.

James.

Lovely watch. Panerai sold watches to the Nazis and yet most people here rave about them and doesn't stop anyone buying their gens or reps. Hit me up if you plan on offloading this.

plankton

Lovely watch. Panerai sold watches to the Nazis and yet most people here rave about them and doesn't stop anyone buying their gens or reps. Hit me up if you plan on offloading this.

Best comment ever, I usually keep my watches for a few months so I will keep you in mind. I cannot wait until I put the Jacob hornback on her!!!

gB.

:popcorn:

TheSav

I was unaware of their history when I bought mine although it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the piece. It's a great watch that is well constructed and has a lovely design. You'd be silly to sell it IMO plankton. Especially to that muppet James! :lol:

plankton

I was unaware of their history when I bought mine although it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the piece. It's a great watch that is well constructed and has a lovely design. You'd be silly to sell it IMO plankton. Especially to that muppet James! :lol:

Your one of the folks that introduced me to VDB. I tell ya bro it is one hell of a watch, 3 walled case-back with 2 gaskets. BTY, I did order one hell of a nice strap and I'm really excited about it getting done. Fu--ing 7 weeks since order and I don't even have a pic yet.