Sign in to follow this  
plankton

New Gen German dress diver; Vintage VDB

TheSav

Glad to see you are liking it. I've since purchased a VDB pre 2012 as well. But what I am really lusting after is the 2013 non GMT. I missed a bargain on one recently.

James.

I was unaware of their history when I bought mine although it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the piece. It's a great watch that is well constructed and has a lovely design. You'd be silly to sell it IMO plankton. Especially to that muppet James! :lol:

:(

TheSav

I was unaware of their history when I bought mine although it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the piece. It's a great watch that is well constructed and has a lovely design. You'd be silly to sell it IMO plankton. Especially to that muppet James! :lol:

:(

I never took you to be the sensitive type....

houndoggie

Thats what I hear, he made some mistakes years ago.

What is the story behind the maker? I couldn't find any info on his missteps

He started out building rep vintage Panerai. Some of the builds were really shoddy work. Scammed the shit out of a bunch of people on the boards. Real asshole.

Wow. That is almost a compliment to vdb

Realism

He started out building rep vintage Panerai. Some of the builds were really shoddy work. Scammed the shit out of a bunch of people on the boards. Real asshole.

A1 sauce

Realism

Lovely watch. Panerai sold watches to the Nazis and yet most people here rave about them and doesn't stop anyone buying their gens or reps. Hit me up if you plan on offloading this.

plenty sold to the Nazi regime... most of the Swiss watch industry sold to both sides during WW2

houndoggie
Lovely watch. Panerai sold watches to the Nazis and yet most people here rave about them and doesn't stop anyone buying their gens or reps. Hit me up if you plan on offloading this.

Irrelevant comment of the year!

baxter

plenty sold to the Nazi regime... most of the Swiss watch industry sold to both sides during WW2

not to mention certain car manufacturers a lot like to drive etc etc ........................... anyway we digress ... cool watch plankton, enjoy mate :)

James.

PAM specifically designed and built a bunch for some of the nazis. The only others im aware of that did this were the German ALS, laco, stowa and IWC fleigers. Same with the Italian navy and frogmen whose specific roke was to blow up allied ships. I'm not discussing the semantic of war but that if you delve deep enough into the history of almost every company, ever, you'll find that theyve been very naughty at one point ir another, intent ir not, few are squeaky clean.

Funny thing is, people were paying $2k+ in the day fir the vdb reps. What's that adage about a fool and their money? Anyone spending that on a rep needs their head examined.

Realism

Funny thing is, people were paying $2k+ in the day fir the vdb reps. What's that adage about a fool and their money? Anyone spending that on a rep needs their head examined.

the only point that i agree with :rofl:

James.

the funny thing is, there's pretty much a clone of the vdb saga at hf with MM whose watches, apparently, were expensive but not the top quality which was alluded to, and hes now left the rep world, been banned on hf and started a gen company.its like the circle of life or something.

plankton

Thanks Baxter! Like I said I'm happy not to have been around at that time so i can enjoy the design.

not to mention certain car manufacturers a lot like to drive etc etc ........................... anyway we digress ... cool watch plankton, enjoy mate :)

I was wondering when this would start to get out of control, not there yet.

trailboss99

Buy your VDB while you can (if you must) but I'd hurry if I were you . . .

gB.

They're not going anywhere

James.

Sure thing, looking fir a 2014 now :lol:

gB.

James.

2014 polished edition, just like the OP

TheSav

There's a few on the bay James. Slightly over priced though. Do vdb not have any left? I can confirm that it's an awesome watch. I've got a pre 2012 as well and am now keeping an eye out for a decently priced 2013.

plankton

Gents, I can confirm that this is a well built watch. Double o ring design, 2824 is one of the best eta's I've seen on a timeograph- really (that may be just luck).

plankton

There's a few on the bay James. Slightly over priced though. Do vdb not have any left? I can confirm that it's an awesome watch. I've got a pre 2012 as well and am now keeping an eye out for a decently priced 2013.

I will post the new ics of the Hamilton strap next week, Eric is to 2 day it when he is in Miami this week.

James.

I will post the new ics of the Hamilton strap next week, Eric is to 2 day it when he is in Miami this week.

That's the biggest draw back with these, 28mm lug width means all straps are pretty much bespoke and wont fit on other watches. That said, I now have 5 for my 2011. I'm planning on validating that many straps with buying another clock, too. Yup, makes perfect sense.

TheSav

Makes perfect sense to me as well :lol:

gB.

Which Donerix strap did you get? I picked up a 28mm one as well from his recent heist sale, black shark. Should look the business on my polished 2013 SE. :)

plankton

Which Donerix strap did you get? I picked up a 28mm one as well from his recent heist sale, black shark. Should look the business on my polished 2013 SE. :)

I ended up getting a croc in tan / burnt orange. Can wait actually.

trailboss99

They're not going anywhere

Don't count on it.