Sign in to follow this  
plankton

New Gen German dress diver; Vintage VDB

MStanne

I love the VDB 2014, great looking watch of very good quality.

James comment nailed it ;)

XLjrjGl.jpg

Realism
Buy your VDB while you can (if you must) but I'd hurry if I were you . . .

They're not going anywhere

Don't count on it.

already gone from WUS? :rofl:

trailboss99

Don't count on it.

I rarely speak lightly or without reason.

Realism

will these be $10K pieces when VBD is gone? :giggle:

gB.

Don't count on it.

They've been gone from WUS for a while since they didn't see the need to keep paying Ernie's fees. But they are not going anywhere.

plankton

Don't count on it.

They've been gone from WUS for a while since they didn't see the need to keep paying Ernie's fees. But they are not going anywhere.

I dont see how they could be going down. Now they didnt pay rnies fees on WUS but they just got a new group of dealers with some actual stock of product for the first time.

jigsaw

gB pointed me to this thread. He and TheSav got theirs from me. I still have 8 pieces and love them all!

VDB started off last decade making higher end homage/vintage pieces. They were quite expensive, many were fantastic and to this day command extremely high prices. They also put some out some real crap, held together with scotch tape and vintagized with steak sauce, and buyers of these pieces (included a great member who sadly is now deceased) got burned. The guys at VDB don't like to talk about the old times ;)

In the late 2000's, they sort of reinvented themselves as a 'real' watch company. Their niche was hand made, low volume pieces with rather innovative case designs, using vintage movements. The pieces were quite expensive and have only gone up in value. Starting in 2011, they began making larger numbers of "serial" pieces, machine made with high grade ETA movements. They do one series each year, which is made in several variations in material, finish, and/or complication (e.g. GMT). They continue to offer very limited hand made pieces as well as custom made pieces, which are fabulous although they have become extraordinarily costly; the serial pieces are much more reasonably priced, not out of line with other quality small brands like top of the range Helson, H2O, etc.

VDB had a forum of sorts sponsored on WUS; they have pulled support there in an effort to move it to their own new forum at the VDB website. There is some nice eye candy there but not much content, yet.

I don't know full details of their business health, but they seem to be doing quite well both in volume of sales and profit margins. The team consists of two watchmakers, and a very good businessman/marketer. They have developed a good following, including some celebrity athletes and actors (including Rolf Moller and Arnold Schwarzenegger). Like some other small German brands I like - particularly Kaventsmann - they have relied rather heavily on Facebook for their online presence. If you are on FB and curious about VDB, check out the VDB page and the Dutch VDB fan site for lots of eye candy and updates.

Perhaps trailboss knows something I do not (if so please PM me!) but unless there is some huge lawsuit or internal fighting I'm unaware of, I don't see VDB going anywhere anytime soon. Like many they have some skeletons in their closet from their founding days, but have been totally legit the past 5+ years; they offer great product and a seemingly healthy business model. Maybe too healthy as I've been unable to secure a nice hand made piece yet! Also VDB does not have an authorized USA dealer, it is the same individual that sells them on Ebay. He has been a solid source for fine watches for quite a long time, and a good guy too.

gB.

Well TB's CIA network must know more than you jiggy.

:popcorn:

plankton

gB pointed me to this thread. He and TheSav got theirs from me. I still have 8 pieces and love them all!

VDB started off last decade making higher end homage/vintage pieces. They were quite expensive, many were fantastic and to this day command extremely high prices. They also put some out some real crap, held together with scotch tape and vintagized with steak sauce, and buyers of these pieces (included a great member who sadly is now deceased) got burned. The guys at VDB don't like to talk about the old times ;)

In the late 2000's, they sort of reinvented themselves as a 'real' watch company. Their niche was hand made, low volume pieces with rather innovative case designs, using vintage movements. The pieces were quite expensive and have only gone up in value. Starting in 2011, they began making larger numbers of "serial" pieces, machine made with high grade ETA movements. They do one series each year, which is made in several variations in material, finish, and/or complication (e.g. GMT). They continue to offer very limited hand made pieces as well as custom made pieces, which are fabulous although they have become extraordinarily costly; the serial pieces are much more reasonably priced, not out of line with other quality small brands like top of the range Helson, H2O, etc.

VDB had a forum of sorts sponsored on WUS; they have pulled support there in an effort to move it to their own new forum at the VDB website. There is some nice eye candy there but not much content, yet.

I don't know full details of their business health, but they seem to be doing quite well both in volume of sales and profit margins. The team consists of two watchmakers, and a very good businessman/marketer. They have developed a good following, including some celebrity athletes and actors (including Rolf Moller and Arnold Schwarzenegger). Like some other small German brands I like - particularly Kaventsmann - they have relied rather heavily on Facebook for their online presence. If you are on FB and curious about VDB, check out the VDB page and the Dutch VDB fan site for lots of eye candy and updates.

Perhaps trailboss knows something I do not (if so please PM me!) but unless there is some huge lawsuit or internal fighting I'm unaware of, I don't see VDB going anywhere anytime soon. Like many they have some skeletons in their closet from their founding days, but have been totally legit the past 5+ years; they offer great product and a seemingly healthy business model. Maybe too healthy as I've been unable to secure a nice hand made piece yet! Also VDB does not have an authorized USA dealer, it is the same individual that sells them on Ebay. He has been a solid source for fine watches for quite a long time, and a good guy too.

They do need a forum of sorts, on their own web page or just one on the Grman forum. anyhow I dont really give a shit, i'm liking the watch alot and that is all that matter right now. AS LONG AS I DONT need a part, ya know.

James.

Their new forum is a bit of a ghost town atm, time will tell whether that's successful, in the meantime there's always the zeitgeist forum

MStanne

Beside of Eric making straps for VDB and joining their GTG's,

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Ralf Möller are customers.....but Col will know....

gB.
but Col will know....

:popcorn:

plankton

Beside of Eric making straps for VDB and joining their GTG's,

Arnold Schwarzenegger and Ralf Möller are customers.....but Col will know....

Yes I bought one from Eric. Jacobs is in the portfolio as well. I did just join their forum, thanks for the info.