Sign in to follow this  
RolexAddict

GMT 1675 update, one more time...

RolexAddict

Not yet finish,

PROJECT DELAYED - RELEASE DATE : MIDDLE OCTOBER

Never had a so complex project, no the building aspect, this is really exiting as it has never been made, but I get tired with the lost of time and money invested for sourcing components.

I lost 15 days in september as a seller sent me the vrong bezel assemblies. Result, shipping time back to him : 7 days. The right parts shipped again : one again 15 days waiting...

The first watch should has been assembled these days. Another problem came, I got the vrong hands... Shipped back yesterday, one more 15 days to get hands.

One exemple :

WholesaleOutlet ask 20 usd shipping for a 150 usd part. At this level you could expect a fast delivery... nada ! He makes profit on the shipping/handling fees, the stuff need 3 weeks to come from TX state to France. If I need to send back a vrong part, I pay 6 usd shipping, and it needs 5 days maximum to return in Texas. Sounds like some institutions are not working well...

HOW I PROCESSED TO BUILT A GMT 1675

and : WHERE MY CASES ARE COMING FROM ?

The only acceptable case is the Yuki, sold at 500 usd. To expensive, and the only movement which fits is the gen Rolex, I think an ETA could fit, may be.

3 months ago, Josh started with his new vintage Explorer 1655. He claimed this watch was a 1/1 copy from a gen watch he bought with Andrew for this project, and parts like dial, plexi and bezel would be switchable with gen parts. And this is the true ! This new rep is incredible. Dixit M.Skeet and N.Urul's Rolex books the Explorer 1655 and the GMT 1675 used both the same case. The only thing on the 1675 was a slight difference in the crown guards shape. Same among of metal, just different cuts : square (classic) or sharp (pointed, El Corniño) and the rotating bezel disposal for the GMT of course.

I took the risk to by the explorer from Josh, disassemble it, and put money in aftermarket GMT bezel assemblies. The experiment was pricy but sucessfull. The only flaw : the case is engraved 1655 insted of 1675. Othewise, the complete case is built exactly like the gen and all 1675 parts will be switchable with gen parts : case back, case o-ring, tube and crown (same tap spec) plexi, plexi/bezel retaining ring assembly, bezel and insert. The bezel ring and the insert are assembled by pressure exactly like the gen stuff.

Other challenge right now is to source individual rivetted bracelets, jubilee and solid oysters with the DJ design clasp.

Here, the 1655 crown guards details : Look the space between the edge of the bezel and the case at the crown tube location. the 1655 bezel is 39mm diameter

sample1.jpg

Here the 1675 crown guards detail : different design. Bezel ring diameter is 40mm and may vary from one watch to another according to the successive polishing jobs.

sample2.jpg

Note : anal comportment pushes to shave/remove material on Sub/SD/GMT crown guards, following gurus recommandations. Most of the time this is ridiculous. Why ? ask collectors, the different crown guards thickness/design vary and is the result of excess of polishing job during servicing. When you

remove a scratch, you remove material.

Thats why Rolex vintage GMT crownguards (and other models) may vary. You will never see 2 vintage SD, Sub or GMT with identical crownguards -Imean the volume of metal

I have handled recently a DRSD in excellent condition (24.000euros, pfff, peanuts :wacko:), the watch had very thick crownguards.

THE ANAL JOB DONE TO ACHIEVE A PERFECT 1675 CASE

- CLASSIC CROW GUARDS-

When mesuring it appears that the right size of the case is thicker, I suppose this is a CNC program, as this case could be used for another model of Rolex. I removed a very few metal from the side. In red, the cutting. The red circle figures the 1655 bezel ring dimensions, the green one is the wider GMT bezel ring.

1655case1c.JPG

-POINTED CROWN GUARDS-

Here, the 2 operations to achieve the pointed crown guards design. In red, where the metal is removed.

1655case2a.JPG

1655case2b.JPG

THE GMT 1675 PRODUCTION PROJECT

Once the routine of parts in coming schedule will be well in place, I will be able to take orders. This will start middle of october.

I have read on another board that a member was waiting 19 months to get his TT WM9 Sub. Members interested by the GMT should be happy if I tell I will need 6 weeks to build 2 GMT. I will try to build 4 between middle october and Christmas time.

The problem is not the building aspect, but the time needed to get parts and also sellers errors factor + availability of considered parts which will cause delays.

I have still the dial problem, the only one available is from Yuki and the actual batch they have is the older 1675 rail dial model made for the pointed crown guards case used with the small arrow GMT hand design.

The classic GMT Master dial with large markers, regular minute stics used with a regular wide arrow gmt hand, is untraceable right now. Even this one sold from NDT is not good, its a gilt made for TT or gold GMT.

I can take one from Yuki and get it refinished/complete re-designed. Total cost for 1 dial : Yuki price+shipping+380 usd for refinishing = 550 usd...

At the moment, I give up the dial manufacturing project for many reasons.

Sounds like vintage GMT Master lovers will have to wait a long time to see an accurate one from the Chinese rep makers... :wub:

The 2 GMT I am building will not be for sale immediatly as I spend to much time on, and I would like to enjoy myself my watches. Also both will be powered by the Chinese 21j DG 3804B which is a true 4th GMT hand. Probably members will be more interested by an ETA movement.

I consider these Asian movements as reliable with a better power reserve than ETA's and also more accuracy. On a certain way ETA is a myth and the 2836 or the 2824 with the Chinese GMT hand adaptatation are not really reliable. And the true 4th hand ETA 2893-2 is to much expensive.

But I consider the fact that its more easy to source aftermarket Rolex hands for ETA, but this will be 100usd to ad at the bill.

French proverb :

"Ne jamais vendre la peau de l'ours avant de l'avoir tué"

translation : Never sell the bear's skin before you killed it...

Anyway,

I have to wait till around the 10 of october to get the correct hands, then the watch will be completed and you will see pics of the "El Corniño" with the rail dial and the small arrow GMT hand. A revolution in the rep world, as it will not be a thousand dollars FrankenWatch, but a 99% visually accurate vintage GMT which will be produced for a sale price around 700-800 usd with an ETA movement.

This price could be the half if I could source cheaper dials and bezel assembly

My work at this day, waiting for small parts and hands to complete.

Dont pay attention for the plexi high, its not pushed in place, just fast assembled for the picture

bothcases.jpg

The El Corniño configuration : I cut complete by hand using a dremel with different grade of grinding tools then silicon polishing wheels.

PCG2.jpg

The classic square crowguards

SCG1.jpg

4 inserts with different colors. Bottom right is the new one. Its possible to get more faded, but often the result is random. On any brand/origin the red color is very difficult to clear up. Now I test with 1200 wet sand paper and 000 steel whool before bleach to brake the anti-UV thermo coat

inserts.jpg

I will try to get this insert visual aspect

sample3.jpg

I also get new lume pigments for aged markers and hands, making tests,

THE NEXT POST YOU WILL SEE THE FIRST 1675 ACCURATE REPLICA IN THE REP WORLD HISTORY

Then, I will serve -if still intesested- the priority list members as following:

andygt

solkryssare

GBOGH

chuan

Member X

Awesome! :wacko: :unworthy:

Respect is due for the thorough approach you take to building :wub:

I'd love one too, but my budget is non-existent at the moment! :-(

I still have the prototype model to enjoy, though ;):)

no_one

Amazing work RA. Still wish a more accurate dial was available.

With what's out there though, you've done an amazing job.

Speedmaster

price ?

sconehead

$700-800...

Great attention to detail RA, this along with the time you've spent sourcing parts and your skills in re-shaping etc to me at least, means you're up there with the very best modders...my hat's off to you...:D

andygt

Thankyou for the update, RA.

The work you are doing to construct an accurate 1675 is going above and beyond and I admire your perserverance.

You are doing some fantastic work and I look forward to seeing the completed watch on my wrist too.

Would it be useful to try to find another source for the yuki dial?

I have seen other items that yuki sells being sold for less by other sellers in the past.

GC

You Sir have cemented your place in Rep History!!!

The first accurate Rep of a 1675...

BRAVO!!!

lkzyz89efm_clap.gif

solkryssare

Now, send one to me! B)

AllergyDoc

The cases look beautiful, pal. :lol:

Wiz

Great work mate!

bkwbkw

Fantastic build and I'm a huge fan of your work! PM Sent!

Edited by bkwbkw

RolexAddict

Thanks a lot guys for your kind comments, still working on the project,

first watch pics coming asap

solkryssare

I caaaaaant wait! This will be so good!

Star69

Hi,

i finnished the same project :

IMG_6061.jpg

more on rwg :)

i have one question - what bezel assembly did you use ?

i have a hard time get mine fit propperly ......

thx !!

Frank

RolexAddict

Hi Frank,

very nice ! the dial has the DATE but the surrounded markers, its correct its the transition model

I use complete bezel assy from WholesaleOutlet, they are really expensive, almost 200 usd inclued 20 usd shipping and I have to wait 3 weeks to get them, and twice they sent me the wrong parts...

Its a little cheaper to buy from Ewartchparts, but I have a bug on their website, its impossible to complete orders (for me)

Yes its a little difficult to fit, the problem comes from the plexi, those from OFrei are no good, the best to fit are those from Clark. Normally you should use a cristal press or a Rolex tool to stack the retaining ring, as this construction should asume waterproofness.

I had lot of OFrei cracked plexies... before having the right result with Clark stuff

Now I wait for hands, WholesaleOutlet cancelled my orders, this guy is not very serious, he mailed me "your items has been shipped !" and cancelled the order one week later telling "out of stock"... I got a paypal message as I will get refund, nada. No money back.

I have sent 158 usd for 2 sets of GMT hands (with the small GMT triangle) at Classic Watch Parts, no news since last week.

Really affraid I was scammed. This project is turning in a mini bankruptcy and will kill me :nana:

Also I wait for a dial for refinishing since august, total cost: arround 400usd...

KBH

This is starting to get painful just to read how expensive it is. :nana:

RA: Did you know WholesaleOuttet and Ewatchparts are the same seller? Usually Ewatchparts is a little more expensive, though. Same crap at either place though.

andygt

RA, I have bought two Classic Watch Parts dials in the past so I don't think you will have been scammed by them.

RolexAddict
This is starting to get painful just to read how expensive it is. :Whistle:

RA: Did you know WholesaleOuttet and Ewatchparts are the same seller? Usually Ewatchparts is a little more expensive, though. Same crap at either place though.

:) I stay brave in this money storm, if this saga continues, I will put 1000 euros more and buy a gen,

seriously, it will end well, its just a complicated project

yes, I know its the same guy, right now Ewatchparts is cheaper but I cannot order from them, impossible to complete an order, something doesn't work between France and USA since a few days. For exemple, I try since last week to call my friends in Port St Lucie FL, impossible, the phone doesn't work between France and the US right now, don't know why. Do you have a tropical storm ?

RA, I have bought two Classic Watch Parts dials in the past so I don't think you will have been scammed by them.

Hope so, as they have lot of interesting stuff

KBH

Weather's very nice, no storms. I can't imagine what the problem is.

I'm banned from WO and JO since he pissed me off enough to leave negative feedback on both stores. Now I'm stuck with Ewatchparts for emergency. He sent me the wrong parts twice, once from each store, then wanted to argue about sending it back. Fucking slimeball!

I've found in most cases you can find better quality parts elsewhere.

RolexAddict

o.k,

for the GMT 1675 project, I don't have found other alternative than WholsaleOutlet, EwatchParts or ClassicWatchParts

I never had problems with WholesaleOutlet in the past, I will say -imho- parts I ordered since 3 years are very good if I compare with OFrei who is double the price.

Also OFrei plays the "Honest American Citizen Game" as they declare everything at the customs. Result : I pay custom taxes and vat on ALL little part they send me.

The problem with WholesaleOutlet started 2 months ago, and I noticed it started when the handling passed through "Mrs Sara" and I needed 3 weeks to get my stuff with 50% errors..

In the past, I had errors also, but I was surprised to discover WholesaleOutlet missing stuff free packages at my front door. That's why I stay with him -at the moment-

I just got this afternoon another complete bezel assy from WholesaleOutlet (Mr. Slimball ;) ) and went in a Rolex vintage shop this afternoon. The parts and specs are really like gen, no doubt -talking about GMT-

good news : my classic dial refinished with gen tritium markers and matching hands is ready ! I will get it tomorrow and end of this week the first 1675 will be ready !

also this shop is now o.k to deal (they were suspicious with me, now, they are interested by money) : we have the photo of the dial and I will buy a little stock of blank brass Rolex 1675 dials

great adventure...

Edited by RolexAddict

Member X

Cool! It's coming together nicely, even if the journey is not the smoothest... lol

I can't wait to see the finished result ;) I hope the dial turns out good!!

solkryssare

Can't wait to see the pictures mate! This is like a Rolex adventure!

bkwbkw

Have a few questions I was going to PM you, but thought it might be beneficial for all folks.

What year 1675 are you trying to emulate? I guess that would depend on the dial used, right?

Will you be using silver datewheels? Can a gen datewheel be used in your piece? There’s on for sale on ebay that I’ve got my eye on.

What size crown? Can a gen crown be used? It’s a bit tough trying to source the smaller 1675 crowns, but if I can find one, can you put it on?

RolexAddict
Have a few questions I was going to PM you, but thought it might be beneficial for all folks.

What year 1675 are you trying to emulate? I guess that would depend on the dial used, right?

Will you be using silver datewheels? Can a gen datewheel be used in your piece? There’s on for sale on ebay that I’ve got my eye on.

What size crown? Can a gen crown be used? It’s a bit tough trying to source the smaller 1675 crowns, but if I can find one, can you put it on?

I try to reproduce 2 models according with the dials available :

1) the 1675 model launched in 1960

-rail dial, small triangle GMT hand, pointed crown guards, rivetted bracelet

2) the 1675 model launched in 1970

-common dial with large markers, large triangle GMT hand, oyster bracelet with datejust clasp style or jubilee bracelet

I will use the regular white datewheel with open 6 and 9. Could be vrong be never seen a silver on a GMT, only on the SDwellers

A gen datewheel cannot be used with non-Rolex movements, but yes ist possible to ADAPT a gen datewheel. But I will have to modd it to fit on a ETA or Asian movement. The best and cheaper would be an aftermarket, WholesaleOutlet has a lot of these

The crowns vary from one 1655 batch to the other. I have 2 cases with the correct 5,3mm crown, and 2 others which are 6mm

Its possible to change the crown for a gen, but I will need also the matching tube.

bkwbkw

Thanks RA! Put me on the list for a 1970s w/ correct crown and oyster bracelet.. but would really like to get a riveted one though.