Sign in to follow this  
brum123

IWC 5101 - Eight Day hand wound portofino - cheapie quartz version from Silix - very short review

brum123

Morning

Apologies it has taken some time to post this since the watch arrived from Michelle at Silix.

I am a bit of a IWC fan and love the 5101 Eight day hand wound portofino

Link to the original is: http://www.iwc.com/e...rtofino/IW5101/

Having looked through the TDs, the closest I could see is the cheapie versions from Silix. Michelle has a couple which are hand wound and one which is quartz. The quartz is also slight different colour in so much the hands and number lines are silver (along with face) and not gold as one of the gen versions is (not sure if that sentence makes sense!)

This appealed to me as I'm not keen on gold on watches and much preferred the look of the quartz version.

I ordered the watch and it arrived very quickly from Michelle within a few weeks (great service from Michelle)

I took the following pictures as they arrived (apologies not wrist shot) and have worn it may time already.

My observations:

• This is not that close a copy of the gen and no where near a super rep but...
  • I love it - and the watch has drawn many positive comments from colleagues
  • It has had a few knocks already but seems to be holding together well - it is a simple quartz mechanism so should last
  • In terms of comparison to the gen:

- there are a number of colour combinations for the gen. The silver face and silver hands is not a combination

- overall front of watch is a pretty good version of gen (hands shape and length, slight sunburst on face, overall layout)

- the faux power indicator wording is incorrect but so small no one will notice

- back of watch is a fake illustration of the manual wind movement which is visible on the gen

- I have not seen the side shot of the gen but assume it is slightly thinner and the rep has two 'filled' holes which I assume are from the standard portofino chrono rep case?

- the sunburst on the face is good and gives the watch a quality look when worn under normal light conditions.

Overall - It works for me - I love the look and as an everyday dress watch for the office it's great. I would love a hand wound version with working power reserve but you get what you pay for ...and as I say this is an everyday 'office' watch.

A few pictures (from iphone - apologies they are not great):

14633767542_a216e5fb85_m.jpg

14632066284_90d0a879cf_m.jpg

14634194635_7078da8dd7_m.jpg

14447569068_7136bfcf0d_m.jpg

In summary:

• lovely timepiece
  • it is a cheapie and not that near gen but if you can live with quartz etc it makes an excellent daily beater for the office
  • the sunburst on the face gives it a good quality look - if you are interested in a manual wound the black / gray face version of this watch on the silix site may be worth a look (http://www.silix-pri...products_id=551) ...i was put off by black often looking too 'flat' on a watch face compared to gens ...but tempted to buy one as i love the look and idea of being hand wound.