Sign in to follow this  
GenTLe

My first movement teardown - and reassembly

GenTLe

Ok, so I got this clone A2836 GMT II. A spare movement.

I decided to try on it my first service task.

Sorry I didn't start taking pictures of the hands, dial and rotor removal...

1) once I took out the rotor, the next step is the auto winding bridge:

post-63910-0-99985000-1407695763.jpg

This is the movement once the autowind parts have been removed (the ratchet wheel is not damaged like it seems on this pic, that one is a kind of reflex...)

post-63910-0-58962800-1407695767.jpg

2) took away the barrel bridge, balance bridge with balance and the train wheels bridge. Clearly visible the pallet fork (under the pallet bridge) in the lower part, the escape wheel, the intermediate wheel at top center and, upside down in the center, the cannon pinion with driving wheel

Note: here I nearly did a disaster: I completely forgot to operate on the click to release the mainspring force and, when I removed the barrel bridge, it nearly "exploded" and started spinning on the table like crazy :D

post-63910-0-60008700-1407695771.jpg

3) lower side part now fully unassembled:

post-63910-0-23699000-1407695775.jpg

4) movement rotated and let's start to work on the GMT, date wheel and keyless:

post-63910-0-87234200-1407695781.jpg

5) All is gone, except the keyless levers:

post-63910-0-81777300-1407695793.jpg

post-63910-0-37058000-1407695802.jpg

post-63910-0-93595400-1407695807.jpg

6) ok, now ALL is gone :)

post-63910-0-55585100-1407695815.jpgpost-63910-0-01873700-1407696812.jpg

post-63910-0-79138900-1407696816.jpg

7) the result:

post-63910-0-45374400-1407696826.jpg

Had to say that I learned that proper tools, even apparently simple stuff like the pliers, MAKE a BIG difference, when they are quality ones!!!

The toolkit and other things I had from RWGShop in this sense helped me quite a lot ;)

About the caliber: it was inside a BP GMT2 rollie. IT was actually lubricated, but all with the same oil and sometimes over-oiled (like below the cannon pinion)

Lubrification and reassembly at next episode ;)

Edited by GenTLe

PhillyRock

You look like a PRO!!

Mechwarrior

Bravissimo

mo rimontalo pero' :giggle:

diamante

zusa5uta.jpg

Non è che rimontandolo diventa così ??

:-)

binatang

Your 2836-2 GMT clone appears to be a refurbished movement with possible gen parts.

The balance shocks springs don't match. The balance bridge looks like it's a gen Swiss by its Kif spring with 3 section cutout.

Good movement to practice cap jewel oiling on though.

Left Coast Guy

Nice photos....unfortunately, as you'll find, re-assembly is the hard part! ;)

GenTLe

Reassembly, with the ETA gen oiling & reassembly chart shouldn't be that difficult. It's more or less like a Lego Technic box (but muuuuuuch more small and delicate!) :D

I'm much more scared to open the shock springs and take the jewels apart ;)

@binatang: yes! I had the same suspect from the beginning, looking at the nice "moon shaped" cut next to the ETA symbol! Good thing that I paid it as a plain asian clone ;)

@Mech (adoravo quel gioco, ne avevo una versione modificata per la Matrox Mystique che era una meraviglia!) e Diamante: bastardi :D

Al limite esce questo:

cucuK019-6.jpg

Mechwarrior

zusa5uta.jpg

Non è che rimontandolo diventa così ??

:-)

LoL

Mechwarrior

Vai GenTLe.................sei il nostro eroe!!!!!

:cheerleader2: :cheerleader2: :cheerleader2: :cheerleader2: :cheerleader2:

diamante

Sei in gamba GenTLe! La mia e' tutta invidia! Se provo a farlo io i pezzi finiscono qui:

3yvu9udy.jpg

GenTLe

Diamante: la prima volta col mio 1st "el cheapo" da Istanbul è andata esattamente così :) Ma non avevo attrezzatura e mi ci ero messo alla "proviamo l'effetto che fa" senza manco istruirmi o avere gli attrezzi adatti :D

diamante
Diamante: la prima volta col mio 1st "el cheapo" da Istanbul è andata esattamente così :) Ma non avevo attrezzatura e mi ci ero messo alla "proviamo l'effetto che fa" senza manco istruirmi o avere gli attrezzi adatti :D

Ho letto molti post (interessantissimi) tuoi e sinceramente pensavo avessi fatto un corso o fossi del mestiere. Devo ammettere che grazie a te sto imparando molte cose. Il problema e' l'inglese che non "mastico" molto bene e mi affido a google traduttore con effetti disastrosi!!! :-)

GenTLe

Google translator è un bordello sui forum: troppo slang o modi di dire qui sopra... E poi Americano e Inglese sembrano uguali ma non lo sono mica poi troppo...

Just to be fair with the others I'm back to English :)

No, no training (except self training), and no, I do a totally different stuff: I'm an IT (Information Technology) guy, mainly over networks and wide infrastructure.

And as hobby I "do by myself" from when I was 12 (LOL, I'm not speaking -only- of onanism :P), meaning, for example, that last year, during my house refurbishment, I completely rebuild the electric plant there, or that one month ago I spent the weekend in the "hole" in the garage (my father dag and consolidated it when I was 8) changing the timing belt of my 1.9 JTD Alfa and so on :) And proud to say that my motocycles don't see a professional mechanic from the very beginning (and they're running GREAT both) :)

So now I'm just trying to evolve in order to avoid spending hundreds of € by making my watches to be cleaned when they're brand new from the TDs (and to learn something new) ;)

Edited by GenTLe

kamma

Im watching this thread :)

Mechwarrior

I think: for fun and pleasure is ok

but a clone eta costs less (time money) replace with a new one

service is good for high end movement ^_^

GenTLe

Well Mech, currently ETA clones aren't so different from real ETA :)

And it's part of my character to have what I own in the best possible shape, regardless if it's a 350$ watch or a 17yo motorcycle ;)

Mechwarrior

And you do absolutely well.

everyone have his/her opinions ;)

Markrfc

Good work looking forward to the build.

ShovelnTC

I have every confidence that I could get to this stage of the service, the next steps would no doubt bring me undone!

Good luck!

JSJ

Very interesting thread GenTLe, thanks very much.

I admire your approach to learning and try to follow a similar path myself. Looking forward to the next developments.

gmchris

Last time I worked on my Alfa Romeo it was like being a bloody watchsmith! Great car, I loved it even when it broke down (alot)

Can't wait to see this go back together, top marks for being self taught!

Not Quite Dead

Yes I am about to embark on turning a poorly working watch into a very small glass bottomed dish so watching your efforts with interest and admiration.

Good luck with stage 2 and I hope there are no parts over when you are done.

Left Coast Guy

See, its not the order or the location of the parts that make it difficult to put back together successfully, but rather a matter of getting them "sit" correctly in their spot and stay there as you continue to re-assemble.

10:10 Watch Repair

See, its not the order or the location of the parts that make it difficult to put back together successfully, but rather a matter of getting them "sit" correctly in their spot and stay there as you continue to re-assemble.

It's the cleaning that will get you.

If you're unfamiliar with the movement, use lots of small baskets.

SSTEEL

Well done on the dissection, my favourite movement to work on these, as they are so simple.