Sign in to follow this  
Cannibal

Anyone servicing reps in Canada?

Cannibal

Looking to see if I can give any of my countrymen some business.

I know a couple of watchmakers, but they refuse to work on reps. Also... anyone know of any Canucklehead who relumes dials?

TIA

Mr Stubbs

Good luck with this. I was lucky to have a local watchmaker (in Winnipeg) swap a movement (these days I'd do it myself).

If anyone north of the 49th parallel does quality lume work I've got $$$ for them!

:beer2:

Cynikal.Mindset

I wish there was but no dice.

PhillyRock

I don't understand the taboo watch makers possess against reps.

I've encountered a few Watch Makers here in Philly that also refuse.

The ones who DO work on reps, have questionable characters hanging around all the time (which I'd rather not be around).

Whats the deal?!?!?!?!?!?!

It's a movement and fast cash,....right?

Cynikal.Mindset

Yea but in the states, $6 gets a package anywhere in like 2 days and you have heaps of forums smiths. Here we have shit all. Or spend $16 and hope for safe passage through customs both ways

TheInthusiest

The ones who DO work on reps, have questionable characters hanging around all the time (which I'd rather not be around).

Jeweler here. I think i can speak for most of the people who arent willing to work on replicas. Or fakes, as its more commonly called around the "biz".

Word around the industry spreads very quickly. Many, if not all watchsmiths have built up a reputation. This reputation consists of building great relationships and doing the best work possible.

The thing with replicas is that they are not "legitimate" pieces. For some watchmakers/repair shops. Its like they arent doing legitimate work. Of course, to most of us. Our view on the matter is, "why the fuck wont you work on my watch?" "You're making a quick buck easy!"

Well, to many of the people that are in this industry. It means more to them to keep their reputation up, than to make a quick dollar. They dont want to be known as the guy that fixes fake watches.

Most watchsmiths come from high backgrounds. They come from largely known institution in which they've learnt their craft. If word gets out that they have started to pick up fake watches, things may turn ugly. Not like they will be stripped of their tittle(s) (Whatever it may be) which they wont. But they lose that sense of value in their line of work.

Its a difficult thing to explain.

also, some watch smiths are uneducated on replicas and are afraid of the legal repercussions that may follow. (which are non- existent.)

Cannibal

YEah no kidding. I just spent $50 to send a gen back home in Singapore (for a swap from the factory).

LightGeek
I don't understand the taboo watch makers possess against reps. I've encountered a few Watch Makers here in Philly that also refuse. The ones who DO work on reps, have questionable characters hanging around all the time (which I'd rather not be around). Whats the deal?!?!?!?!?!?! It's a movement and fast cash,....right?

If the movement didn't come from spotty origins and rep watch wearers had reasonable expectations (when the POS movement breaks apart in the watchsmith's hands), they would be more apt to work on them.

PhillyRock

Sir, I have to disagree. You've explained it quite well.

Your answer was articulate and clear.

From 2000-2010, I Co-Owned a company and understanding how difficult it is to EARN a reputation. I can fully understand how it can be seen

as a questionable practice when one begins to work on black market/grey market goods. Watch Smiths and Jewelers are a tight knit bunch. The community is small

and the craft is seemingly passed down from generation to generation/Father to son/ family affair.

I appreciate how candid your response was. I never took into consideration the 'reputation' aspect and the repercussions working on 'Reps' has within the

community. Perspective can really change the thoughts and processes of an idea or assumption.

I'm happy to say, "I've learned something today".

Mr Stubbs

Sir, I have to disagree. You've explained it quite well.

Your answer was articulate and clear.

From 2000-2010, I Co-Owned a company and understanding how difficult it is to EARN a reputation. I can fully understand how it can be seen

as a questionable practice when one begins to work on black market/grey market goods. Watch Smiths and Jewelers are a tight knit bunch. The community is small

and the craft is seemingly passed down from generation to generation/Father to son/ family affair.

I appreciate how candid your response was. I never took into consideration the 'reputation' aspect and the repercussions working on 'Reps' has within the

community. Perspective can really change the thoughts and processes of an idea or assumption.

I'm happy to say, "I've learned something today".

Agreed.

As a hobbyist, I take pleasure in the craftsmanship that goes into a replica. The stuff that makes it look like the genuine brand.

But as a business owner, I'd be more concerned there's no manufacturer's network or warranty.

As a hobbyist I say "Wow, look at this sweet ST-19! And this A7750!" As a watchmaker, I'd say "I can't get parts!"

And as I hobbyist I can enjoy a $35 PO for what it is; but some people might leave it at the jeweller's over a $100 repair bill.

:coffee2:

geo333

What part of Canada is OP from? I have 2 in the Toronto area that services reps.

10:10 Watch Repair

Sir, I have to disagree.

With which part?

If the movement didn't come from spotty origins and rep watch wearers had reasonable expectations (when the POS movement breaks apart in the watchsmith's hands), they would be more apt to work on them.

True.

seclark007

What part of Canada is OP from? I have 2 in the Toronto area that services reps.

Who in TO? Hopefully in Etobicoke :)

miquel

If you are in the West, I know a shop in Calgary that will work on reps.

chrish8

Ok I’m resurrecting this thread to see if there was any movement or success on this in finding rep friendly watch smith in Canada, more specific Ontario, even more specific Toronto or York Region. Looking to get watches serviced and waterproofed.

Cannibal

Since it's been resurrected, I missed this ^^ post. I'm in Ottawa and get to Toronto frequently. PM sent.

chrish8

Since it's been resurrected, I missed this ^^ post. I'm in Ottawa and get to Toronto frequently. PM sent.

didn't get your PM

Edited by chrish8

Elijah

Where in Toronto are the Watchmakers located?

Irishcain

Not in Canada myself, but since this is the first time I'm seeing this thread, I'll drop in my 2 cents, fwiw. In the shop I work at, the largest problem with servicing reps comes not from the unwillingness to do it, but rather that most of the guys that work here are not watchmakers, but rather "parts-men" for lack of a better term (technician is giving some of these guys too much credit). They cannot usually make or modify a part, and have only been trained to diagnose and replace with existing gen parts. It's like the difference between being a computer programmer and knowing the coding language and someone that knows how to run the program really well. There's only one real watchmaker here and he's usually busy with restoration. The few times I've seen him work on a rep (only twice in the last year, and once was for me), its been for a friend and he almost always has to make, by hand, damaged parts. The cost for him in time, material and labor is generally greater than the cost of picking up a new rep movement. On top of that, there's the warranty that's part of all service here. If there's anything that goes wrong within a year, we have to fix it, so if the $30 Canal street POS breaks down, here comes the rep owner saying that it's dead because of the service we gave it. Now we have to spend even more time/money/resources getting the watch in working order. The insurance we carry is not inconsequential either. When he had first opened up the shop, some douchenozzle brought in a rep Rolex for service, which he did, then the douchebag turns around and sues, accusing him of swapping out a gen movement with a fake. Even with pictures taken of all the work done, the shop still took a loss. On top of that, the shop had it's Rolex account frozen for some time, making getting replacement parts so difficult that it was a real possibility that the doors would be shut for good. When one of the Swiss brand freezes you out, they ALL do. We are required to keep business records, both for the IRS (taxes) and because the Swiss groups can ask to see them at any time to make sure our account is in good standing (they can't force us to, but they can close our parts accounts if we don't) and labeling a watch as miscellaneous too often is frowned upon. I'm studying to be a watchmaker, and some of the stories that I hear are SCARRY for someone that wants to make a living at the bench. That's one of the main reasons I've never offered services.

Simms
Not in Canada myself, but since this is the first time I'm seeing this thread, I'll drop in my 2 cents, fwiw. In the shop I work at, the largest problem with servicing reps comes not from the unwillingness to do it, but rather that most of the guys that work here are not watchmakers, but rather "parts-men" for lack of a better term (technician is giving some of these guys too much credit). They cannot usually make or modify a part, and have only been trained to diagnose and replace with existing gen parts. It's like the difference between being a computer programmer and knowing the coding language and someone that knows how to run the program really well. There's only one real watchmaker here and he's usually busy with restoration. The few times I've seen him work on a rep (only twice in the last year, and once was for me), its been for a friend and he almost always has to make, by hand, damaged parts. The cost for him in time, material and labor is generally greater than the cost of picking up a new rep movement. On top of that, there's the warranty that's part of all service here. If there's anything that goes wrong within a year, we have to fix it, so if the $30 Canal street POS breaks down, here comes the rep owner saying that it's dead because of the service we gave it. Now we have to spend even more time/money/resources getting the watch in working order. The insurance we carry is not inconsequential either. When he had first opened up the shop, some douchenozzle brought in a rep Rolex for service, which he did, then the douchebag turns around and sues, accusing him of swapping out a gen movement with a fake. Even with pictures taken of all the work done, the shop still took a loss. On top of that, the shop had it's Rolex account frozen for some time, making getting replacement parts so difficult that it was a real possibility that the doors would be shut for good. When one of the Swiss brand freezes you out, they ALL do. We are required to keep business records, both for the IRS (taxes) and because the Swiss groups can ask to see them at any time to make sure our account is in good standing (they can't force us to, but they can close our parts accounts if we don't) and labeling a watch as miscellaneous too often is frowned upon. I'm studying to be a watchmaker, and some of the stories that I hear are SCARRY for someone that wants to make a living at the bench. That's one of the main reasons I've never offered services.

Great insight, thanks for sharing

alexburke

Resurrecting this - did anyone ever get the details of the two shops in the GTA who will work on reps? I need to get a dial swapped out on an Omega CRPO. Thanks.

Bash64

If you are in the West, I know a shop in Calgary that will work on reps.

I'm just outside Calgary. Which shop?

D_Chico

Trouble is even if you do find a shop that will work on your rep they're going to charge you gen prices..lol..I was just talking to a friend of mine that had to have his keyless reset and was charged $65!! The watch only cost him $200..I think it's best to just stick with trusted watchmakers here on the forum or if you have a friend who's capable ask if they can help..or maybe even buy some tools and if it's a simple task like dial and hand swap try it yourself ;)

Bummer that it's so difficult for you guys in Canada to find rep friendly watchmakers! Shipping to the US from what I've seen is only around $10 to $15..

Cannibal is a good friend of mine and he ended up sending his watches to me btw..

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=96983&hl=d_chico&fromsearch=1

watchcraze

I am looking for the this EXACT thing. I dropped my Rolex the other day and the green lume from 12 and 9 fell out and are running around in the watch. Obviously I pulled the pin and stopped the watch from working and it's just sitting there. As I spent $300 on it I'd like to get it repaired. There was a mention of someone knowing of someone in Calgary and I would love to know who that might be. I am in Edmonton as well and in Calgary a lot so either of these places will be great if someone can tell me of a local place!

Thanks!

D_Chico
I am looking for the this EXACT thing. I dropped my Rolex the other day and the green lume from 12 and 9 fell out and are running around in the watch. Obviously I pulled the pin and stopped the watch from working and it's just sitting there. As I spent $300 on it I'd like to get it repaired. There was a mention of someone knowing of someone in Calgary and I would love to know who that might be. I am in Edmonton as well and in Calgary a lot so either of these places will be great if someone can tell me of a local place!

Thanks!

Bummer sorry to hear that! If the watch fell hard enough to have 2 indices pop off the dial you should have the movement inspected as well when you get it fixed..you're more than likely going to need the beat/timing adjusted ;)

Good luck!