Sign in to follow this  
bosko

Some thoughts on the age old noobs vs experts issue

bosko

Hey there. Here's a few thoughts. Feel free to wade in.

1. NOOBS ARE ANNOYING. Absolutely, of course they are. They ask obvious questions that have been asked many times before. Rather than search the forum they post a question such as, "Which TD has the best Rolex Navitimer Day Date Aquaracer PAM," or whatever.

2. NOOBS ARE LAZY. Rather than do actual research they do the Gen Y thing of firing a question off into cyberspace and wait for the answer to arrive.

3. YOU WERE A NOOB ONCE. Obvious of course but nonetheless factually correct. You posted stupid shit and asked dumb questions. Be honest.

4. EXPERTS ARE ALSO ANNOYING. But in a different way. Experts have very long signature blocks that list the watches they own. They have hot women in undies as their avatar photo (kind of a give away that they hot women in undies is not a feature of their actual life). They have in jokes. They are often rude to noobs.

5. NOOBS SUBSIDISE YOUR WATCHES. Noobs are the lifeblood of this hobby. Their one off or yearly or whatever purchases make it possible for the hard working TDs to turn a profit. Without the noobs, catering to the hardcore only might not make financial sense to our beloved TDs. No noobs could mean no TDs.

6. MANNERS. Be nice. Noob and expert alike, we share a specific mutual interest in a thing most people don't get.

Imagine all the people, living life in peace...

jdog

Not sure what the point of this thread is?

James.

I like this noob.

_DC_

I agree with most of your points, but at the same time that's life. The main reason people bash noobs here is that it's entertaining, otherwise they'd just ignore them! It's not gonna change unfortunately!

As far as "experts" go, don't tarnish all with the same brush. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to call myself an expert but certainly an awful lot of members, noobs and experienced alike, come to me for advice and opinions on Patek reps, and I'm always courteous and helpful to the best of my ability. I don't have a semi naked lady as an avatar, I don't have a list of my reps in my signature (it would be a waste of time as they change so frequently) and I don't reserve rudeness for noobs, I'll call out anyone I think is being a knob (case in point the only person on my ignore list is a very well known longstanding forum member)!!

Finally, I think the fact that noobs subsidise our watch purchases is complete nonsense. The way economy works is that the more people who buy something, the more expensive that thing becomes, it's supply and demand!!

That's my 2 cents, other than that you're right about the fact we were all noobs and should all group hug etc etc....

DC

JohnG

The force is strong in this one.

_DC_

Yeah I quite like him, he can stay!

DC

Kcore

All we are saying is give peace a chance

Ev'rybody's talking about

Bagism, Madism, Dragism, Shagism, Ragism, Tagism

This-ism, that-ism

ism ism ism

All we are saying is give peace a chance

Mattcrx

Get back in your place noob!!!

Haha nah I'm joking it's a fair comment.

:D

AndyBlue

I've yet to see one expert on here, so never been an issue for me...

Baldrick
3. YOU WERE A NOOB ONCE. Obvious of course but nonetheless factually correct. You posted stupid shit and asked dumb questions. Be honest.

Nope..was never a noob !

dfq23

I think that there are just people and then there are fucktards same as in every walk of life.

Although as a recommendation I would suggest anyone with less than 100 posts gets sent to the gulag for any thread they post with any of the words "Sub, Where, Best, Iparadisiac, watchesbyjames, 1:1, gold daytona and fool people"

Del

5. NOOBS SUBSIDISE YOUR WATCHES. Noobs are the lifeblood of this hobby. Their one off or yearly or whatever purchases make it possible for the hard working TDs to turn a profit. Without the noobs, catering to the hardcore only might not make financial sense to our beloved TDs. No noobs could mean no TDs.

With respect, this is utter bollocks. :P

Good to have you here though! :thumbsup2:

dalboy

I think that there are just people and then there are fucktards same as in every walk of life.

Although as a recommendation I would suggest anyone with less than 100 posts gets sent to the gulag for any thread they post with any of the words "Sub, Where, Best, Iparadisiac, watchesbyjames, 1:1, gold daytona and fool people"

Like it " D "..

Dal.

Hey there. Here's a few thoughts. Feel free to wade in.

1. NOOBS ARE ANNOYING. Absolutely, of course they are. They ask obvious questions that have been asked many times before. Rather than search the forum they post a question such as, "Which TD has the best Rolex Navitimer Day Date Aquaracer PAM," or whatever.

2. NOOBS ARE LAZY. Rather than do actual research they do the Gen Y thing of firing a question off into cyberspace and wait for the answer to arrive.

4. EXPERTS ARE ALSO ANNOYING. But in a different way. Experts have very long signature blocks that list the watches they own. They have hot women in undies as their avatar photo (kind of a give away that they hot women in undies is not a feature of their actual life). They have in jokes. They are often rude to noobs.

6. MANNERS. Be nice. Noob and expert alike, we share a specific mutual interest in a thing most people don't get.

Imagine all the people, living life in peace...

Only a Noob would post this !

And FWIW... Do you truly believe that Noobs are the only ones putting their hands in their collective pockets .. Bollocks !!

Dal.

Gazzla

Define 'noob'?

Left Coast Guy

Noob is more of a state of mind rather than something as simply designated by post-count or arrival date to the forum. Noob-ism is not appreciating humor, nor being being able to ignore a slight amount of dickishness; its being offended at being called a noob, but not really having a reason why; and its certainly writing any post aimed at taking vets down a peg, because the real reality is that the vets on the forum (ahem, most at least) are a HUGE resource. They can refer you do specialty vendors, instruct on nuances of reps which have long past, they give perspective on releases, prices and all number of things. So no....noobs don't subsidize anything, numpties (or the like) that buy crap reps from shady dealers subsidize this hobby. If anything, noobs are the reason TDs don't all take CC or can't take paypal anymore, etc.

And like I said, its totally possible to come here and not be a noob on your first post....but that requires reading, reading, and then some more reading, so you're actually adding to the conversation....

Gazzla

And like I said, its totally possible to come here and not be a noob on your first post....but that requires reading, reading, and then some more reading, so you're actually adding to the conversation....

Post count and/or membership duration bear no direct correlation to 'noobness'

It's all about the content of the post, not the frequency of posting.

Kleen™

Yeah I quite like him, he can stay!

DC

+1

...after a thorough bashing, of course.

Derek Mc

I like this noob.

me too, and I'm still a noob!!!!

Gazzla

You are talking utter bollocks. Where is your research to back-up this claim, you fuckwit? Audit the TDs accounts do you?

FFS :facepalm:

ag69

I see it like evolution. Over the months the noob slowly becomes an expert. Along with this the noob goes from asking stupid questions to answering stupid questions for the next noob in line.

I'm not an expert like some of the folks here but I think I can answer for most. The thing that irritates the so called expert is when a noob thinks they're all that and starts arguing with the expert. Noobs can ask questions, but don't act like an arse when someone responds to your question sarcastically because if you stay here long enough or other rep sites, you too will start responding to the same noob question sarcastically because it's EVOLUTION baby!!

Baldrick
I'm not an expert like some of the folks here

There are NO experts here....only those who believe they are...and those who endeavour to lend credence to their fantasy !

DR3M3L

This thread HAS potential :D Following, please do not disappoint me!

Fletchett

Noob is more of a state of mind rather than something as simply designated by post-count or arrival date to the forum.

I think you are spot on with this one.

I am reading this forum for a couple of years now, never asked a stupid question or started some annoying topic and only posted first time today.

Am I a noob?

I don't think so. I know where to order what to expect and most importantly appreciate all the knowledge here.

Edited by Fletchett

DR3M3L

Am I a noob?

Yes!

Fletchett

Am I a noob?

Yes!

Why because I am not a post-count whore? :)

Edited by Fletchett