Sign in to follow this  
bosko

Some thoughts on the age old noobs vs experts issue

kevin123

No clique?

I get someone sarcastic posts so I simply call the guy a prick and get a 24 hour ban.

5. NOOBS SUBSIDISE YOUR WATCHES. Noobs are the lifeblood of this hobby. Their one off or yearly or whatever purchases make it possible for the hard working TDs to turn a profit. Without the noobs, catering to the hardcore only might not make financial sense to our beloved TDs. No noobs could mean no TDs.

You are talking utter bollocks. Where is your research to back-up this claim, you fuckwit? Audit the TDs accounts do you?

FFS :facepalm:

did this guy get a ban too?

Edited by kevin123

JohnG

When I first joined this friggin nut house 18 months ago anyone and I mean anyone who wrote a "Why aren't we kind or nice to Noobs"'would have had a second, third, or fourth asshole ripped for them!

Actually, I have always been fairly vocal about being patient with fresh noobs. Many times they are ripped on for stuff they really can't be expected to know. And I remember being new in the forums, it kind of sucks to be new and for everyone to treat you like shit for not having all of the fifty or so threads in the various subforoms that have "Noobs! Read this!" in the title.

It is pretty easy to turn someone off to a forum if no one even takes the time to explain forum culture to them. I often take the time to send pms to noobs that are getting bashed so they will get that the hazing is part of the ritual here. Yes, we are the Animal House of the rep forums, but pledges to frats are always WARNED they are going to be hazed.

IMO the best people to really bash are the know-it-alls who read obsessively for a few months and then start lecturing everyone, not only on bezel inserts and clone movements but also on "how things work around here". Those are the fuckers I would rather see taken down a peg or two. Made to bleed a bit. There is real entertainment value in that. But head butting a fresh one? Where's the sport in that?

Just my opinion

:popcorn:

_DC_
No clique?

I get someone sarcastic posts so I simply call the guy a prick and get a 24 hour ban.

5. NOOBS SUBSIDISE YOUR WATCHES. Noobs are the lifeblood of this hobby. Their one off or yearly or whatever purchases make it possible for the hard working TDs to turn a profit. Without the noobs, catering to the hardcore only might not make financial sense to our beloved TDs. No noobs could mean no TDs.

You are talking utter bollocks. Where is your research to back-up this claim, you fuckwit? Audit the TDs accounts do you?

FFS :facepalm:

did this guy get a ban too?

From your member title I'd guess you were already on the mods radar for other reasons, I'm not saying that the moderators always have an even hand, but the lack of consistent harsh modding is one of the benefits of this forum, just sometimes if you mouth of in the wrong place at the wrong time and catch a mod in the mood to ban coz they've already had to talk to you about something else you did wrong, you gon' get a ban!

It's not fair but then neither is life, it's a good lesson!!

DC

_DC_

When I first joined this friggin nut house 18 months ago anyone and I mean anyone who wrote a "Why aren't we kind or nice to Noobs"'would have had a second, third, or fourth asshole ripped for them!

Actually, I have always been fairly vocal about being patient with fresh noobs. Many times they are ripped on for stuff they really can't be expected to know. And I remember being new in the forums, it kind of sucks to be new and for everyone to treat you like shit for not having all of the fifty or so threads in the various subforoms that have "Noobs! Read this!" in the title.

It is pretty easy to turn someone off to a forum if no one even takes the time to explain forum culture to them. I often take the time to send pms to noobs that are getting bashed so they will get that the hazing is part of the ritual here. Yes, we are the Animal House of the rep forums, but pledges to frats are always WARNED they are going to be hazed.

IMO the best people to really bash are the know-it-alls who read obsessively for a few months and then start lecturing everyone, not only on bezel inserts and clone movements but also on "how things work around here". Those are the fuckers I would rather see taken down a peg or two. Made to bleed a bit. There is real entertainment value in that. But head butting a fresh one? Where's the sport in that?

Just my opinion

Yep, what this man said!!!

DC

JohnG

No clique?

Unfortunately, every day there are more and more members and the mods get more and more burned out. That is my sense anyway. Time-outs are given out much more freely than they used to be. Once upon a time it was very very very hard to get disciplined around here. You basically had to call someone a bunch of racial slurs and/or threaten to kill their kids. Today back-talking can get you a visit to the Gulag. Or so it seems.

Kcore

Just my opinion

So how come you never sent me a PM? None gave me the frat warning. My feelings are hurt!

Cyril_Clunge

I'd guess you were already on the mods radar for other reasons

DC

Wise this one is.

JohnG

....but the lack of consistent harsh modding is one of the benefits of this forum, just sometimes if you mouth of in the wrong place at the wrong time and catch a mod in the mood to ban coz they've already had to talk to you about something else you did wrong, you gon' get a ban!

It's not fair but then neither is life

agreed

/

JohnG

So how come you never sent me a PM? None gave me the frat warning. My feelings are hurt!

Your avatar suggest that you weren't going to need your hand held. :rofl:

Kcore

Your avatar suggest that you weren't going to need your hand held. :rofl:

Oh, OK :)

P4GTR

Just what the fuck has happened here? Where did all this civilization come from?

I began a heavy regimen of tourettes medication. :timmytwitch:

kevin123

The cant count to 60 refers to me putting a watch in the M2M when i didnt have 60 posts, i think i was 2 days short of being allowed to put it up but i thought it would be allowed.

And i think you will find that it makes this a very cliquey place that some members get a ban and members of the clique can do as they wish.

Bash the noobs and your in our gang ehh!

Kleen™

Just what the fuck has happened here? Where did all this civilization come from?

It's not at alle easy living with tourettes.

SO CUT ME SOME FUCKING SLACK YOU PRICKS!!!

Baldrick

See.....this is what I'm talking about......clueless noobs..........you weren't banned for calling a guy a prick.....that's a gracious salutation here..........

.......you were banned for being a 'Kevin'.........and not having the foresight not to use the name when you first registered....you may as well have used the moniker...Wanker123 :B):

_DC_
The cant count to 60 refers to me putting a watch in the M2M when i didnt have 60 posts, i think i was 2 days short of being allowed to put it up but i thought it would be allowed.

And i think you will find that it makes this a very cliquey place that some members get a ban and members of the clique can do as they wish.

I think the clique is of your own making in your imagination, certainly I'm not aware of any secret gang where the entry requirement is some noob bashing and that means you get away with stuff. That either means it doesn't exist (quite likely) or I'm not in the gang, but I've sworn at various members new and old in my time here and never been banned which by your logic makes me a member (plus who'd have a gang and not invite me right)?

I'll tell you one clique which will get you special treatment, it's called VIP membership, you should check it out!!

Honestly mate, there's no special treatment here, anyone who ignore rules will feel the wrath of the mods, it's just that most of those rules relate to being a new member so at more likely that a new member will fall foul of those rules, but if I post a sale thread without a tagged pic it will get nuked, coz theme the rules!!!!

DC

Cyril_Clunge

"but i thought it would be allowed"

So you thought that the rules didn't apply to you? People here can call others prick all day long if they wish, it's not the word I objected to but the intent behind it. there are no cliques here, I treat all the same, even if I am a little harsh sometimes. I am at least an equal opportunities arsehole, I'll be a twat to anyone if they're being a twat. The only people I have to explain and defend my decisions to here are the admins and my fellow mods, and yes, occasionally I do get yelled at or face disapproval in the staff room, but I'm still here so I guess overall they're happy with my style.

I don't hold grudges, there are a few here that I was very close to banning at one time who have turned out to be good, worthwhile members, likewise there are some who continue to sail close to the wind. The only people who get cut an extra inch, no, half an inch of slack, are VIPs. I do stop for a moment and consider the fact that they are supporting the forum before I take action, but that said, I've banned VIPs in the past.

How about you stop the precious drama queen act, suck it up and move on? Or you can fuck right off and find a forum that doesnt have the (imaginary) cliques of which you speak.

edited to add: I see DC said basically the same while I was typing.

DC, you can stay :thumbsup2::D

Hornet

It's not at alle easy living with tourettes.

SO CUT ME SOME FUCKING SLACK YOU PRICKS!!!

Time for the tourettes medication......

P4GTR

Any noob that thinks this forum has a seedy underbelly hasn't come across the boss himself. Greg is one of the best things this forum has going for it, and one of the reasons it is so successful if I do say so myself.

JohnG

Greg is one of the best things this forum has going for it, and one of the reasons it is so successful if I do say so myself.

+1

likewise there are some who continue to sail close to the wind.

:Whistle:

MetalMickey

Everyone has been really nice to me and I haven't been her long. On the other hand, I got the worst flaming I have ever seen by PM on 'a well known gen forum'. At least here everyone (should) know the score.

JohnG

I got the worst flaming I have ever seen by PM on 'a well known gen forum'.

What forum and why?

Loves me sum forum dramas

PhillyRock

Why does everyone keep talking about noobs on this forum? A lot of threads lately. I don't understand why it's a big deal. Maybe it isn't?

There are not that many regulars here that I see, a handful or two that do all of the posting it seems. Some of them may come off pissy but truth be told most all members are pussy cats and glad to help as long as you are nice and have some manners. In the open, a little ribbing is to be expected.

Maybe i'm missing something. There is no better time to start becoming a regular yourself. The more personalities the more interesting things will be.

There isn't a single group of hobbits/men/friends in the world that don't bust each others chops, get pissed at each other from time to time, prank each other and pick each others brain with sarcasm and concern. Granted it's not all at the same time, but on occasion it is.

P4GTR just summed it up pretty much.

I was a noob once.

Hell, I'm still a Noob, but I know how this site works now and I've picked up some information along the way.

There will ALWAYS be Noobs that refuse to follow the suggestions and get ripped on, and we will always have those select Noob members that DO follow the suggestions. (Like I did)

Some experienced members are just better at Razzing, and when they do Rip into noobs they also go against the grain.

This is the INTERWEBZ, and you need thick skin.

MetalMickey

I got the worst flaming I have ever seen by PM on 'a well known gen forum'.

What forum and why?

Loves me sum forum dramas

WUS. I declined his lowball offer for a watch I was selling and pointed out I was unable to find the eBay auction he cited to justify it. He went ape, called me a 'fucking 2014 member NOOB' and added links to seven YouTube videos of himself reviewing Rolexes... There are some proper mental cases over there.

JohnG

WUS. I declined his lowball offer for a watch I was selling and pointed out I was unable to find the eBay auction he cited to justify it. He went ape, called me a 'fucking 2014 member NOOB' and added links to seven YouTube videos of himself reviewing Rolexes... There are some proper mental cases over there.

:lol:

Yes, but we have a few here too. :rofl:

MetalMickey

:lol:

Yes, but we have a few here too. :rofl:

But the ones here at least have the bottle to do it in public!