Sign in to follow this  
rimarima2

"5 Mils18K Rose Gold Plating" any gd? how long will it look good?

rimarima2

-I have sofar had bad experiences with "gold" plated reps, as the color fades rather quickly it seems despite never having gone swimming with it!

-I am wondering is "5mils" a good plating?

-I want to buy a new gold rep that can last atleast a few years, is that realistic or am i wishing too much?

Thanks in advance

Frankt8242

How will you KNOW how much gold is REALLY there...??? :titanic: :titanic:

Daywatch

if You wear it daily it wears off quicker, if You wear it once a week it will last several Years. Electroplating kits are available as well and easy to use. The newer models hold it quite well.

fusion

I've been on a hard target search for a SS/YG Rolex Jubilee bracelet to replace a very good rep (I think) that had on my gen. It held up well for over 10 years, but alas now has to be replaced. I have had quite a problem finding a source so I have Tim (Watchfinder) on the hunt now. I have seen ads proclaiming 5 mils like it's a feature, which I presume implies better than the average gold plate, gold wrap, or gold filled or whatever. I have seen a couple listed as 10 mils also, but the additions to the TD catalogue are old (2007) and I would have no way evaluate it until it wore out a year or two down the road. This one: http://www.ttw888.com/index.php? main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=1340 says 10 mils, but again I'd want to make sure it was still available as the ad states. That said, Frank8242 has a point and you won't know until it starts to go I guess. If you find something better, I know I'd love to hear about it.

Edited by fusion

BentleySharp

1 mil = 1 micron

1 micron = 1 micrometre

1 micrometre = 1/1000 of a millimeter

so in conclusion 1 mil = 1/1000 millimeter

does that give you an idea?

it's hard to know for sure, but 5 to 15 microns is probably the normal range of thickness for gold electroplating on the rep watches we buy. Considering how the price of gold has been rising recently, i wouldn't be surprised to see that 5 is fairly standard nowadays, whereas 10 probably would have been the norm 6 or 7 years ago.

rimarima2

so it seems SS is the way to go i guess?

Odyseus

Gold plate is fine, best not have it as a daily beater & keep it out of the pool though.

rimarima2

Is it easy to plate it yourself or have it done in Europe