Sign in to follow this  
Yelow69

What is a gen rolex sub

Yelow69

After joining this forum and digesting as much of the useful knowledge one can in a month, I ask myself what is a gen rolex sub. Is a gen sub a gen because of the sum of its parts or is there one component that makes it so. When does a gen sub become a rep and viscera. Does a gen having a rep bracelet, bezel, insert, and crystal make it a rep or a rep that has been frankinized with the best gen parts create a genuine rolex sub.

Any thoughts?

RUSH2112

A gen is a watch made by the manufacturer with all new factory parts. A Franken is never a gen.

Mystery Shopper

A gen sub is 100% made by Rolex, with 100% Rolex parts and sold with papers.

Anything else is a franken or rep.

Yelow69

So the question is if I change one part on a gen then it is no longer an gen. With that logic a BMW or any car for that matter can no longer be considered a BMW or so forth. I understand it will not be completely original but to remove its prestige because of an aftermarket replacement part doesn't make sense.

RUSH2112
So the question is if I change one part on a gen then it is no longer an gen. With that logic a BMW or any car for that matter can no longer be considered a BMW or so forth. I understand it will not be completely original but to remove its prestige because of an aftermarket replacement part doesn't make sense.

Using aftermarket parts can void a warranty so the manufacturer does look at to an extent as we described. If you take engine out of the car and out in a much less sophisticated, albeit working engine would anyone still consider it a real BMW? I wouldn't and the number 1 thing that makes most reps rep is their engine.

Yelow69

So is the heart to a gen the movement or is an original case what makes it a rolex with aftermarket parts.

PhillyRock

You can build a Gen from a Rep by replacing every single part of the watch until it's 100% Rolex. Case, crystal, movement, hands etc etc. (which is really buying a Gen the hard way)

As long as it still contains ONE single Rep part it's still a Rep.

Yelow69

My question is at what point does a gen stop being considered a gen and becomes a "Franken".

Bigcountrykris

Just buy a gen

ShovelnTC

This is a never ending question with no solid answers as most answers will be formed with personal opinion or experience so to simply answer the question use the actual manufacturers opinion which is if there is any part on the watch which is not a genuine factory supplied item then it is not considered a genuine watch.

RUSH2112
So is the heart to a gen the movement or is an original case what makes it a rolex with aftermarket parts.

When in doubt the best way to determine rep or gen is checking the movement. It's obviously not foolproof but anyone willing to spend the money to put a gen movement in a rep watch would probably have the money for the gen. Primary exception is vintage of course. Look up john Mayer and his adventures with vintage rolex and you'll see what I mean.

Daywatch

They have a tight control over it. Stops being a gen (for definition purposes) as soon as any part is replaced or even the caseback opened by a non-AD (voids warranty).

It will become a gen again as soon as serviced by a Rolex-service-center (non original parts to be replaced before the service by the owner).

Really highly valued vintage ones like the double-reds only retain their high values if never serviced not even by Rolex because they would have replaced everything (dial - bezel - hands etc.) by now.

elp
My question is at what point does a gen stop being considered a gen and becomes a "Franken".

Legally? practically (for e.g. Servicing)? Morally or ethically?

If in doubt, go with bigcountrykris' suggestion ....

mitchbaria

This has been debated in depth in the past....for intents and purposes of verification the serial numbers are used daily to verify the authenticity of any Rolex...along with the serial number being verified through Rolex most people that buy our loan against Rolex check for an authentic Rolex movement along with running the serial number....for further appraisal purposes in very rare vintage pieces authorized experts are consulted with to determine the amount of replacement parts and how much they devalue the watch...

PhillyRock

You're a little thick in the head right?

Trolololing?

English not your first language?

(couldn't help myself, perfect ball busting opportunity)

RichardMiami

This is so simple.

If even one sub-atomic particle of the watch is not pure genuine Rolex, then they will reject the watch for any service of any kind.

What people are trying to say is that the party that defines a gen Rolex is not you, it is not me, it is not a watch forum on the internet.

The sole, 100% absolute authority on what is a gen sub is Rolex themselves.

Why? Because they say so.

Period.

If BMW, or Sony, or Ace Hardware, decides to accept a product with aftermarket parts and/or modifications, then that is THEIR call, not ours.

Period.

BC1221

read the bottom of of the service invoice.

RolexServiceDocsPg1_26APR12.jpg

i think that says it all..

Realism

You can build a Gen from a Rep by replacing every single part of the watch until it's 100% Rolex. Case, crystal, movement, hands etc etc. (which is really buying a Gen the hard way)

no... this still wouldn't make it a gen

if you try matching the serial # to the movement, and service history... nothing will match

UmpaHimself

Dude, put down the reefer. A gen is a gen, a rep is a rep, and a franken is somewhere in between. Don't overthink it.

Realism

a franken is somewhere in between.

no still a rep... a costly one :rofl:

UmpaHimself

a franken is somewhere in between.

no still a rep... a costly one :rofl:

Yeah, territory I am not too keen on treading personally :lol:

Kcore
A gen sub is 100% made by Rolex, with 100% Rolex parts and sold with papers.

Anything else is a franken or rep.

I had a puppy that soiled his papers

Seand83

I got high just reading this post. You must be on some good shit right now...it's very simple a "Gen" is not defined by one part of the watch it defined "Gen" be every single piece of the watch. Watch has to be assemble by Rolex with all Rolex authentic parts.

Now please pass the blunt down this way.

Wriggles

This is possibly the most dumbass question I've seen here in a long while.

Listen to RichardMiami...wise is he

JohnG

This is a never ending question with no solid answers as most answers

+1

You will get as many different answers as people who post in the thread.

Some people say ALL the parts have to be genuine Rolex. I myself think that is not true - you can put an aftermarket strap on a Rolex and it seems common sense would dictate that it doesn't stop being a genuine Rolex.