Sign in to follow this  
agp

Thinking about getting a replica...

agp

Hey guy,

I'm thinking about getting a replica IWC Portuguese (of some sort), a Breitling Mark VI, or a Oris Artelier Chronograph. Where would you recommend me getting those from?

Thanks,

Hunter

bob bean

Hi Hunter,

Both the Portuguese and the Bentleys are available from most of our trusted dealers. But I am not sure on the Artelier, I have not seen any.

You can try both Robert @ PWC or Mary @ WatchInternational, both can be found in our trusted dealers section.

BB

Luthier
I'm looking at some watches at http://www.timeshops.net/, how come there's such a big price range between difference watches by the same make?

That's how people make some money.

:)

greg_r
I'm looking at some watches at http://www.timeshops.net/, how come there's such a big price range between difference watches by the same make?

For many models there are low-end reps as well as higher quality versions. Often the more expensive version will be closer to the real thing in appearance, be made of better materials and have a higher quality movement. Sometimes the difference is only the movement - it depends on what you're looking at...

agp

For many models there are low-end reps as well as higher quality versions. Often the more expensive version will be closer to the real thing in appearance, be made of better materials and have a higher quality movement. Sometimes the difference is only the movement - it depends on what you're looking at...

I'm looking mainly at the IWC Portuguese, the Oris and Breitling were just back ups in case I didn't find an IWC I liked.

graman

Mate, Leave the IWC Portuguese chrono alone!

Seconds running at 6 makes for a bad movement!

And don't touch the ingy either!

Many IWC's........all rather tasty :lmao:

dingle
Mate, Leave the IWC Portuguese chrono alone!

Many IWC's........all rather tasty :lol:

spoken from experience I presume.....:lmao:

agp

What's that mean??

pollux1

What's that mean??

The running seconds are at "six" on the watchface, the rep movement in it's stock 7750 format is pretty ok especially with a service but the extra gears added to move the running seconds from nine to six cause problems.

pollux1

The "ingy" is the shortened term for the IWC Ingenieur, with a Swiss ETA or clone ETA movement the standard nnon chrono rep version is pretty good. Have a read of some replica reviews around the forum, all the knowledge you need is there. :)

NFleischer

DSC00291.jpg

Here's a non- chrono 'Ingy'. Great watch, well made with 'swiss' ETA movement. Almost 3 years old

no problems. Costs about $275, very accurate looking rep

theflyingdutchman

Breitling Mark VI? Where can you get such a rep in decent quality?

graman
DSC00291.jpg

Here's a non- chrono 'Ingy'. Great watch, well made with 'swiss' ETA movement. Almost 3 years old

no problems. Costs about $275, very accurate looking rep

I love this watch...it's sensational, and has been a grail watch for me for years.

I recently purchased one, and it was not a good move.

Firstly, it began to lose time. Upon closer examination, the minute hand was striking the hour markers from 4 through to 8.

I sent it up to OS's watchmaker in Queensland.

It turned out that the watch is quite poorly engineered.

It had an ETA 2894 or some 28xx in it, bullet proof movement, and once serviced was humming.

However the dial was poorly attached to the movement, and no amount of dial tape was going to fix it.

Not big on the notion of epoxy or silicone glue to keep it there either.

The watch came back, and as I adjusted the time, the movement fell back into the case, causing the hands to become lodged between the 7 & 8 position.

OS used an excellent euphamism..."it's like a big block chevy v8 in a mini" or words to that effect.

The dial construction just couldn't cope with the movement, and nothing was going to fix it.

For this reason, as it pains me, I suggest leave the ingy alone.

When they've worked out this problem, then I'll be lining up for another one.

In the meantime, mine's going back to Mary, who is prepared to exchange for something else.

pollux1

That's surprising Graman, I have a 3 yr old Ingy and it runs like a dream, they must have a different manufacturer now.

graman

Probably Pollux......I would have loved to have gotten one back earlier....especially an AMG in titanium....oh well...one day ....