Sign in to follow this  
zeke4life

Is it ok to buy a watch off ebay?

zeke4life

Ok so I have never bought anything from ebay before and well I looked on ebay and see these watches going for like a couple dolllars. So are these watches scams and I mean like will people steal my credit card info and stuff like that? thanks for the help

mulder

I have bought cheap watches on ebay. Your best bet is to use Paypal so the buyer does not get your credit card details. Also check the feedback and the amount of stuff the seller has sold. Check for mailing times, quality and see if you can find the same watch you are looking at in their feedback.

If the negative feedback is excessive drop them from your list. If the negative is stupid feedback like "It was suppose to arrive in 7 days and it took 8" then check the rest.

You will find most "cheap" watches are exactly that, cheap. If you only want it for a work watch or you dont care if it gets damamged then ebay is fine. Personally now there are some good cheaper watches on here that are well worth the few extra $$$

David

Also I should add that if you are looking for a rep watch steer clear of ioffer and other sites. Our dealers here are trusted and proven themselves time and time again.

I bought a watch from ioffer last year. Even though a blind man can tell its not a TAG it was cheap and it keeps brilliant time. Most or nearly all of the "Genuine watches are rip offs and you can get the same watch here for way less money. Im not saying all dealers on ioffer are scam artists but there are a lot of them.

Edited by mulder

greg_r

Pay via paypal and you're okay. You tend to get what you pay for though most of the cheap stuff is junk that will last a couple of weeks and then expire...

dave47

Good advice from fellow board members -- use Paypal; check the shipping costs, the seller's feedback rating. IMHO, the several cheapies I've purchased from the 'bay over the past one-and-a-half years have turned out to be pretty good cheapies. E.G. I got a manual wind skeleton wristwatch with leather band that keeps good time and has a smooth sweep; I purchased a "chronograph" AK (day, week, 24-hour time) last year; I've worn it several times and always set the time via the atomic clock (www.time.gov). Believe it or not, it's only off a few seconds by the end of the day. On the other hand, I've just purchased a "vintage" Orient 21J watch that was DOA, and after two emails to the seller, no response. But, as Greg pointed out, when you buy the cheapies, you DO take a chance. So far with my of my cheapies, I've been lucky but willing to take the risks.

dave

Pay via paypal and you're okay. You tend to get what you pay for though most of the cheap stuff is junk that will last a couple of weeks and then expire...