Sign in to follow this  
retromech

“Where did you get the watch?” (quick release button fix)

retromech

So a few weeks ago, I was trying to figure out how to repair the quick release button on my Marina Militare watch. I don’t have the parts (spring, rings, etc.).

stcr1-sm.jpg

I thought I’d look for a watch repair near my location and I don't want to pay a lot. So after doing some research, I drove to the mall that has a Watch kiosk with a good reputation. The watch guy looked at it and immediately knew what the problem was. Turns out, the whole case has to be replaced and he gave a detailed explanation. And he said it'll be expensive.

Then of course, came the proverbial question (drum roll, please): “So where did you get the watch?”, he asked. Our eyes met briefly - I know AND he knows: it's a rep. But I simply said it was a gift. Not sure why he asked, since who/where I bought it will not fix the problem that I needed to be resolved right away. So we left it at that. And also, another customer showed up so he didn’t get a chance to inquire any further.

I asked what he can do right now so I can wear the watch that night. He said the easy solution is to replace the existing bar/pin with a spring bar. That’s cool, fixing it right now is what I wanted. I paid $5 for it but as far as I was concerned, the $5 was for the valuable explanation he provided. Overall, it was a good transaction since he was generally pleasant and informative.

I'm neither a watch collector nor an expert on watches but I want to know what the issues are and see if I can fix them myself (and also not have to deal with the “Where did you get the watch?” inquiry).

Since then, I’ve also acquired some tools, lugs, screws, more straps, and buckles. Oh, and some watches, too.

Edited by retromech

ElvisFreak

You are way too new to start fixing these rather finicky or flimsy reps even with your new tools.

And the issue with the quick release lugs is not easy to fix...if at all possible?

markeym3

I had the same issue with a release spring thingy ,,, so i put a pin inside it and gently pushed it in and out and it popped out ,, flook maybe ,, it appeared to press in too far and move to one side a little hence not coming back out so pushing in and out seem to re centre it ...

retromech

You are way too new to start fixing these rather finicky or flimsy reps even with your new tools.

And the issue with the quick release lugs is not easy to fix...if at all possible?

For me, I'll stick to the spring bars as my fix for this watch.

Replacing the whole case is too expensive (and that's assuming that part is available/for sale).

The tools I bought are for my other watches and mainly to play with straps and buckles.

Hornet

Easy there tiger, the OP might have a natural affinity for fixing watches! Also as long he's aware that his attempt at a repair could potentially end in failure what's the problem with him having a go?

OP, do some research about the QR (I've no idea....) and give it a go if you feel confident. Also worst that can happen is you either end up back with spring bars or take it to a watchsmith for repair....

markeym3

Easy there tiger, the OP might have a natural affinity for fixing watches! Also as long he's aware that his attempt at a repair could potentially end in failure what's the problem with him having a go?

OP, do some research about the QR (I've no idea....) and give it a go if you feel confident. Also worst that can happen is you either end up back with spring bars or take it to a watchsmith for repair....

+1 Hornet, but just have a look at wether it has pushed in and moved to the side stopping it from returning out ,,, this is what happened to me.

Daywatch

The springbar solution is tops and there are variances in their quality as well. Jacksonste sells PAM specific ones, I do like the thicker gen-spec 2mm rolex-bars for everything they fit on.

Left Coast Guy

So a few weeks ago, I was trying to figure out how to repair the quick release button on my Marina Militare watch. I don’t have the parts (spring, rings, etc.).

stcr1-sm.jpg

I thought I’d look for a watch repair near my location and I don't want to pay a lot. So after doing some research, I drove to the mall that has a Watch kiosk with a good reputation. The watch guy looked at it and immediately knew what the problem was. Turns out, the whole case has to be replaced and he gave a detailed explanation. And he said it'll be expensive.

Then of course, came the proverbial question (drum roll, please): “So where did you get the watch?”, he asked. Our eyes met briefly - I know AND he knows: it's a rep. But I simply said it was a gift. Not sure why he asked, since who/where I bought it will not fix the problem that I needed to be resolved right away. So we left it at that. And also, another customer showed up so he didn’t get a chance to inquire any further.

I asked what he can do right now so I can wear the watch that night. He said the easy solution is to replace the existing bar/pin with a spring bar. That’s cool, fixing it right now is what I wanted. I paid $5 for it but as far as I was concerned, the $5 was for the valuable explanation he provided. Overall, it was a good transaction since he was generally pleasant and informative.

I'm neither a watch collector nor an expert on watches but I want to know what the issues are and see if I can fix them myself (and also not have to deal with the “Where did you get the watch?” inquiry).

Since then, I’ve also acquired some tools, lugs, screws, more straps, and buckles. Oh, and some watches, too.

I'm confused....Marina Militare are homage watches right???? Why would you care about bringing someone a homage?

UmpaHimself

FYI I always tell non rep repairers that the watch is fake, that way they don't charge me triple the price.

alex.cpa
The springbar solution is tops and there are variances in their quality as well. Jacksonste sells PAM specific ones, I do like the thicker gen-spec 2mm rolex-bars for everything they fit on.

+1

greg_r

The gens have been known to suffer the same problem. PAM springbars are indeed the simple answer.

Hornet

I couldn't see any spring bars on his website, what are they under?

greg_r

Lots of places sell 'em: watchobsession.co.uk / panatime etc. Easy to find on eBay too...

Hornet
Lots of places sell 'em: watchobsession.co.uk / panatime etc. Easy to find on eBay too...

Yeah I know Greg, but as I'm still a noob on somethings I like to get things that I know will fit, always a bit dubious about buying things off flea Bay...

greg_r

RWGshop? (Only just noticed that Col has 'em).

PhillyRock

Yeah I know Greg, but as I'm still a noob on somethings I like to get things that I know will fit, always a bit dubious about buying things off flea Bay...

I've made hundreds of buys from the Bay. I've never had a problem buying things I know a little something about or things I need to fix the other stuff I break.

If you go with top dealers with lots of good feedback you'll never go wrong, besides the money back guarantee from the Bay and PP is an added layer of protection.

Only item I've ever had small issues with is watch lenses. The measurements vary slightly.

I always buy the Germany ones because those you can count on being exacting with crystal measurements.

Hornet
I've made hundreds of buys from the Bay. I've never had a problem buying things I know a little something about or things I need to fix the other stuff I break. If you go with top dealers with lots of good feedback you'll never go wrong, besides the money back guarantee from the Bay and PP is an added layer of protection. Only item I've ever had small issues with is watch lenses. The measurements vary slightly. I always buy the Germany ones because those you can count on being exacting with crystal measurements.

It's not a problem with buying things off eBay, it's about making sure I get the right thing! I made a noob error earlier on in buying some spring bars, when I got them I realised they didn't have the little flanges for pulling the springs back, so were useless for for what I wanted. But was only a £1, so no biggie really......

......that's why I asked the question here as I know I'll get loads of helpful suggestions! Have bookmarked the Pam spring bars for the future, just in case I have problems with the QRs on my pam.