Sign in to follow this  
1_klean_watch

Welcome!

1_klean_watch

Hello RWG

Well...I have been on the board for about a couple of weeks and I'm debating on getting a couple of different watches for my 1st rep watch. Here is what I'm thinking about!

IWC Pilot Perpetual Calendar.

46 mm.

Asian automatic movement.

Swiss quality stainless steel case, leatherband with lock folding clasp.

Whitedial.

Functional hour (subdial 6), day/minute (subdial 9) & date/7 days power reserve (subdial 3).

Year counter at 7 o'clock.

Solid back case with engravings.

Mineral glass.

The main I'm getting this one is because its cheap and I don't want to get any expensive rep before I know more about the rep world.

400IWC_183_IWC_2_LRG.jpg

OR

Tag Heuer

44 mm.

Asian quartz movement

Swiss quality stainless steel case, brown leatherband with twin lock dep-loyment folding clasp.

Whitedial.

Functional running small second (counter 9) & hour (counter 3).

Functional second hand stopwatch.

Date window at 6 o'clock.

Solid back case with engravings.

Synthetic sapphire crystal glass.

This is another solid choice, but I want it brown leather. If a dealer can get me one with brown strap.

400TAG_754_Tagheuer_1_LRG.jpg

So what does everyone recommmend. I was thinking about getting my watch from House of Souvenirs. What does everyone think about this deal or is there a better dealer to start out with. Ideally I want get everything from one dealer because I'm going to get like 5 to 6 reps. I'm falling in love this new hobby.

Also, my question is will this sub dials works on these watch even though the are on quartz movement!

Edited by Daniel Delgado

greg_r

Right. The IWC isn't quartz, it's a 21J, which means that the subdials only move with the aid of the pushers. Pretty watch, though - personally I hate faux subdials, but some people aren't so bothered.

With regard to the Tag, it's okay and the subdials will work, but it's not one of the more convincing quartz reps out there imho.

My advice is to avoid watches with chronos for now. Start with something simpler - maybe a Rolex sub or DJII, one of Robert's budget Panerais or maybe his budget Rollie DSSD, Narikaa's famous Omega UPO or something of that sort. The watch will have fewer 'tells' (i.e. it'll look and work that bit more like the gen) and it'll give you a taste of what a quality rep can be like - the watches I mention really are superb quality for the price.

Lawrence / House of Souvenirs is a great dealer. Particularly for cheapies (take a look at some of his budget Rolex models, for instance), but there are plenty of dealers to choose from here - you won't go wrong with any of them :boobies:

Welcome to RWG! :D

Member X

Personally speaking I would stay away from that first one - it looks 'cheap' IMO, and anyone looking at it will wonder if it's genuine as a gen would cost $$$$$, no doubt.

Look at PrestigeWatchCo's (Robert's) listings - for $99 plus shipping the Panerai models are excellent value, and the Omega PO with extra strap at that price is amazing, I had one in my hands the other day and was very impressed! :boobies: His Milgauss and Explorers in 21j are even cheaper than that and are superb quality.

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse :)

KBH

I'm with Greg on this one. Faux chrono's are the cheapest of the cheap. If you insist on buying a really cheap rep, get one that doesn't have all the bogus complications that not only don't function as a gen but also have a tendency to break within 6 months. When a cheap watch with complications breaks, it goes in the garbage, since you can't get any replacement parts or movements.

1_klean_watch

Is staying away from Chrono watch a general rule thumb or is that because there movements are quartz.

Member X: Thank you for the suggestion and I found the Panerai 328 with brown strap or steel band. That's we really a sweet watch.

I have question and that is do all the dealers charge the something for the same watch because I have look at certain watches there are price differences. Does that mean one rep is better than other one or it means nothing?

dingle
Is staying away from Chrono watch a general rule thumb or is that because there movements are quartz.

Member X: Thank you for the suggestion and I found the Panerai 328 with brown strap or steel band. That's we really a sweet watch.

I have question and that is do all the dealers charge the something for the same watch because I have look at certain watches there are price differences. Does that mean one rep is better than other one or it means nothing?

It means nothing if they are within a few dollars of each other. If it is a big difference, it typically has to do with a different movement in the watch.

KBH

No, quartz chronos are fine. They are made to be chronos. The ones I would stay away from is the cheap automatic chrono watches with Asian 21j movements. The pusher are false and they are usually the very cheapest models.

A real automatic chrono with an Asian 7750 movement is going to cost around $250 and up. One with a Swiss movement is $500 and up. If you want cheap and chrono, stick with quartz, although they are easy to spot as fake since they "tic" instead of having a smooth sweep like the genuine ones.

1_klean_watch

No, quartz chronos are fine. They are made to be chronos. The ones I would stay away from is the cheap automatic chrono watches with Asian 21j movements. The pusher are false and they are usually the very cheapest models.

A real automatic chrono with an Asian 7750 movement is going to cost around $250 and up. One with a Swiss movement is $500 and up. If you want cheap and chrono, stick with quartz, although they are easy to spot as fake since they "tic" instead of having a smooth sweep like the genuine ones.

Ok.....Thank you for the advice...I'm really considering getting the PAM 328 and something else. What that is I don't know. I really looking for leather strapped watches to start out with since I don't have any.

So, any other people have good suggestion. Thank you in advance.

Edited by 1_klean_watch