Sign in to follow this  
dave47

How Many is "Enough?"

dave47

Hi, Gang!

I've noticed a trend among all the threads I've read both here and other Forums that suggest that many members have a lot of reps. I see their names quite often when they post their latest acquisition, then sometimes list the number of reps they have. A while ago, wifey asked me how many more reps am I going to purchase, and all these got me to thinking: Just how many reps constitute "enough" reps? I'm really curious to know as I wonder if I'm "normal." Currently, I have about 25 reps, mostly Rolexes, with a few Omegas, Breitlings, and Pams sprinkled in; I have my eye on acquiring "several" more to kind of round out my collection. (It's what I tell my wife, who's just curious about my "obsession." No, I said, it's an "addiction," not an "obsession.")

What does the membership believe constitutes "enough" reps? (If there's such a thing?)

dave

1_klean_watch

I have 0 reps....but I'm was thinking 10 was too many....25 that's way too many....Right now, I'm trying to out together my top 10 list and thats all I want, but I can see, how the combination of cheap prices and good quality you can get alot of different beautiful rep watches.

Brightlight

While we're about it, does anyone know the length of a piece of string?

speedzmaster
While we're about it, does anyone know the length of a piece of string?

Its about this long. :)

theflyingdutchman

How many women are enough?

greg_r

There's no such thing as enough - it's not about quantity, it's about collecting pieces that you enjoy.

I also collect antique books, but I couldn't tell you how many I own - again, it's not about quantity it's about collecting something that interests me...

As far as watches go, I try not to let things get too far out of control so occasionally sell pieces that I've gotten bored with - or that just don't get much wrist time. I tend to average around 20 in my collection, but it has gone as high as 30 on occasion...

Mystery Shopper

Buy her some too- problem shared is a problem halved!

Akira
I also collect antique books, but I couldn't tell you how many I own.

Seriously Greg, how old are you? :thumbsup2::D

mondeov6

I try to keep the number at 25 pieces. My watch case has room for 24 and then the one on my wrist.

Ehhh.... and there are a few watches in another box...he.. :thumbsup2: .... but I hardly ever use them anymore

since they are mostly cheap non-reps. On sunday I am meeting up with a fellow that's buying

6 of the reps I do not use anymore. The money I am getting for them?......ehhh... well.... I... want a "Fiddy"

and maybe a couple of other watches! :D

greg_r

Seriously Greg, how old are you?

WTF has that got to do with what I collect?

Brightlight

Admit it Greg, you too are an antique :thumbsup2:

Akira

Admit it Greg, you too are an antique :D

+1

:thumbsup2:

greg_r

Admit it Greg, you too are an antique ;)

Fuck off. :D I've been collecting antique books since I was in my early twenties... Anyhow, you can talk - you're older than me! :thumbsup2:

Brightlight

Fuck off. ;) I've been collecting antique books since I was in my early twenties... Anyhow, you can talk - you're older than me! :thumbsup2:

But I don't collect antique books............. antique women maybe :D

mondeov6

Fuck off. :D I've been collecting antique books since I was in my early twenties... Anyhow, you can talk - you're older than me! :thumbsup2:

I am antique to!!....(almost ancient!)... but as we all know antiques are often of very high value!!... nudge...nudge...Greg....true isn't it? ;)

Brightlight

I am antique to!!....(almost ancient!)... but as we all know antiques are often of very high value!!... nudge...nudge...Greg....true isn't it? ;)

The high value is only there in antiques if they are in good condition. Greg is damaged goods I'm afraid, his brain has started to go so you couldn't give him away............;)

WebWind
Hi, Gang!

I've noticed a trend among all the threads I've read both here and other Forums that suggest that many members have a lot of reps. I see their names quite often when they post their latest acquisition, then sometimes list the number of reps they have. A while ago, wifey asked me how many more reps am I going to purchase, and all these got me to thinking: Just how many reps constitute "enough" reps? I'm really curious to know as I wonder if I'm "normal." Currently, I have about 25 reps, mostly Rolexes, with a few Omegas, Breitlings, and Pams sprinkled in; I have my eye on acquiring "several" more to kind of round out my collection. (It's what I tell my wife, who's just curious about my "obsession." No, I said, it's an "addiction," not an "obsession.")

What does the membership believe constitutes "enough" reps? (If there's such a thing?)

dave

Your question is similar to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything was calculated by an enormous supercomputer over a period of 7.5 million years to be 42.

42 = enough.

You do not believe me?

Here is a proof. Enjoy.

narikaa

I tend to stop buying them when Ive got 120/130kgs

:thumbsup2:

Member X
I've been collecting antique books since I was in my early twenties...

Yeah, but you bought them new - you're so old they're now classed as antiques ;):lol:

pollux1

I'll have "enough" watches right after the next one. ;):)

KBH

I've stabilized at about 20........... But it seems I wear less than 1/2 of them.

dave47

...VERY interesting view points all around. I collect what I like to have -- to admire and wear when I can. The only reason I don have more is because I lack $$$$$ (and wifey hides her purse from me anymore!) Thanks for the input, esp. the discussion about Greg. Let me just say this about that: as I used to tell my history students (retired history prof.), you KNOW you're getting old when you study history and clearly remember BEING THERE!

Great forum!! Great people, too! (No, seriously... .)

dave

I've stabilized at about 20........... But it seems I wear less than 1/2 of them.

NFleischer

I can't seem to stabilize. Since I joined the boards and I've been looking at the dealer websites,

I average 1-2 rep purchases per month (also buy some gens too). The dealers are always tempting us

with new reps almost daily! I have about 55 reps and 20 gens. I don't seem to be able to sell any either.

I used to buy from the scam sites which are so much more $$, but at least that was a deterrent. I feel that I have enough, but

I'll probably end up getting more. I like to say I'm a collector, not addicted.

greg_r
Thanks for the input, esp. the discussion about Greg. Let me just say this about that: as I used to tell my history students (retired history prof.), you KNOW you're getting old when you study history and clearly remember BEING THERE!

:rofl: