Sign in to follow this  
p-lund

Secondshand location

p-lund

hi ! i wonder: if you´re buying a chronorep with quartz-movement, where does the secondshand(in most of them) rotate ? the left subdial, or is it the big chronohand that acts like secondshand? i think it looks much better that the subdial acts like secondshand as on the A7750 verions, rather than the big cronohand if you´re buying a watch with A 21 J. answers on this question would be appreciated.

greg_r

If the watch is a chrono, the seconds will be on a subdial (or, occasionally, absent completely). The chrono hand does not sweep continuously unless you start it (assuming the watch is actually a chrono rather than being a 21J power faux chrono model).

p-lund
If the watch is a chrono, the seconds will be on a subdial (or, occasionally, absent completely). The chrono hand does not sweep continuously unless you start it (assuming the watch is actually a chrono rather than being a 21J power faux chrono model).

ok, so you mean that if they´re powered by an A21J movement, they are most likely faux chronos with the big chronohand acting as secondshand ? what about those watches with japanese automovements, do they have the same layout as the A21 J ?i´m asking this because i have seen sone watches where you can choose between A21 J, and japanese automovements. perhaps the japanese are a bit more reliable ? thanks.

Luthier

There's no such a things - japanese movements in replicas, mate.

All "japanese" are made in China, and called 21j.

Stick to our trusted dealers.

:Whistle:

greg_r

ok, so you mean that if they´re powered by an A21J movement, they are most likely faux chronos with the big chronohand acting as secondshand ? what about those watches with japanese automovements, do they have the same layout as the A21 J ?i´m asking this because i have seen sone watches where you can choose between A21 J, and japanese automovements. perhaps the japanese are a bit more reliable ? thanks.

A 21J is not a chrono movement, so subdials will be faux yes. The thing is that '21J' is a generic term - there are a wide variety available and some are better than others. If you buy a decent cheapie from a reputable dealer, you're going to get one of the better quality 21Js, which are fine - they tend to be reliable and fairly accurate. Cheap to replace if they go wrong too. Just not capable of powering a chrono - for that you have to go quartz or spend more on a proper chrono movement. For working chronos you need an A7750, Sea-gull ST19 (aka Lemania) or quartz.

Forget about japanese movements - what you're going to end up with is Chinese (or, if you buy from the right dealer and spend a lot more money, Swiss ETA).

Spend a bit more time reading the board - there are a lot of potential pitfalls and most of 'em are described in posts pinned to the top of one of the subforums. Start with this one: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=6930 ;)

KBH

He's asking about quartz. Most quartz chronos are Japanese. Seiko/Miyota OS10 and OS20.