Sign in to follow this  
MikeAlmighty

When you say "MINT"...

MikeAlmighty

what exactly do you mean?

In this hobby of buying and selling, and in a for profit business, some words I think should be reserved for something extraordinary. "MINT, PRISTINE, A-1" and even "EXCELLENT" are used to describe condition, and if you see me use them it means that the watch I'm selling is in exemplary, just opened condition. Not some scratched up piece of shit you want to unload.

Maybe we need a "Rep" dictionary so everyone is on the same page on how to describe the condition of a watch in a sales thread, because apparently some of us are unclear...

Carry on

ShovelnTC

Agreed,

One of my pet hates (and there are many) is when someone describes something as "mint for age".

Mint has only one interpretation and that is as if it just came of the production line.

PhillyRock

My understanding of the word "Mint".

Not worn outside the house, perfect as from factory.

Not a single mark or smudge, never taken out the front door.

As it was Meant to be.

Ilikewaches

It means you have bad breath.

myaz

Just as in advertising, people often embellish the state of their wares. Sellers can use all the adjectives they want but in the end, the posted pics tell the true story.

I wish there was a way to find out about the occasional movement/crown issue that a minority of sellers gloss over.

MikeAlmighty

Agreed,

One of my pet hates (and there are many) is when someone describes something as "mint for age".

Mint has only one interpretation and that is as if it just came of the production line.

At least "mint for age" gives you a clue that its crap

My understanding of the word "Mint".

Not worn outside the house, perfect as from factory.

Not a single mark or smudge, never taken out the front door.

As it was Meant to be.

I'm sorry did you say something? I can't see past your avatar :drool:

It means you have bad breath.

As long as I'm still breathing I can live with that

MikeAlmighty

Just as in advertising, people often embellish the state of their wares. Sellers can use all the adjectives they want but in the end, the posted pics tell the true story.

I wish there was a way to find out about the occasional movement/crown issue that a minority of sellers gloss over.

True, but pictures can be taken at certain angles and often times don't show everything. Then some asshole throws in a word like "MINT" and next thing you know you've bought a steamy hot pile of shit disguised as a mint

Necromancer

I'm guessing that you may have bought something from someone that didn't quite live up to its description?

graman

Mint to me, means someone is bullshitting.

It means still in the box untouched by human hands, or a small aromatic herb used to season cooking.

Not fond of the term...

We should have a common understanding though. ;)

myaz

True, but pictures can taken at certain angles and often times don't show everything. Then some asshole throws in a word like "MINT" and next thing you know you've bought a steamy hot pile of shit disguised as a mint

If there's a hidden steamy excrement pile disguised as a mint, you can bet that it will be on the the side of the watch that is not posted. These low lives don't last long in this community, but not comforting to the one stuck with a dud. I hope you were not duped by such a sale.

TK01

Hmm, not sure about any of these words. All my life I have used the 1-10 scale usually one being worst condition and 10 new. Also profiting is prohibited and not really part of this hobby. Every watch I have sold my wife was pissed at me because I sell my stuff always $30-60 less then what I paid and most days it's a rep I had for 3 to 6 days, even genuine stuff.

RUSH2112

Undersell it and over deliver.

TK01

+1 myaz

TK01

+RUSH2112 totally agree, over pack unpurpose :) cuz I treat packing how

I want to be treated . I expect my watches to come bullet proof so I do the same

TK01

The other day had a member , (wont mention who) send me a rolex and I paid $300 + and it came in an envelope from UK. I couldn't believe it.

MikeAlmighty

Hmm, not sure about any of these words. All my life I have used the 1-10 scale usually one being worst condition and 10 new. Also profiting is prohibited and not really part of this hobby. Every watch I have sold my wife was pissed at me because I sell my stuff always $30-60 less then what I paid and most days it's a rep I had for 3 to 6 days, even genuine stuff.

10= MINT

7-9= GOOD

5-6= FAIR

1-4 = SCRAP

The other day had a member , (wont mention who) send me a rolex and I paid $300 + and it came in an envelope from UK. I couldn't believe it.

I had a similar situation. A watch from Canada sent in an unpadded envelope wrapped in paper towel

Daywatch

In my m2m understanding, it means well kept and looked after for more time than a 14 days C&R

Mint + abbreviation detail maybe:

• NUCT - Never used to change a tire
  • OUOO - Only used once outside
  • NRFB – Never removed from box
  • MIB – Mint in box

myaz

I had a similar situation. A watch from Canada sent in an unpadded envelope wrapped in paper towel

un-frikkin-believable, even for a $60 rep.

rusty peters

At least they wrapped it in a towel. I bought a slightly used Bernhardt Binnacle Diver that was tossed into a flat rate box. I was able to scotch Brite it back to very good condition but I was so annoyed. If the seller was stupid enough to do that, he would never understand my frustration so I let it go.

MikeAlmighty

If the seller was stupid enough to do that, he would never understand my frustration so I let it go.

Yeah some people just don't get it.

TK01

Yea just shows that people only care to get the money for what they selland then after they don't care. When I sell an item. I get excited about packaging the stuff. Many days I'll spend extra money on good tape and find sturdy boxes , i put extra time into it. To me it's like giving a gift to a family member.

graman

Agreed.... Never burn someone on shipping or customer experience....

Pack it like you would for your Mum....

There's always an eedjit.... Paper towel! :lol:

Mazz
3330693.jpg

TK01

Well. Basically if a buy from M2M , (Packaging = First Impression). Right away I will know if I will ever do business with this member or never again.

narikaa

Yes clarification needed - in Pattaya Thailand it has a whole different meaning

Mint

(Dont open if boss is peering over your shoulder ;))