Sign in to follow this  
KeNnY

Real flying tourbillon with Rotor ?

KeNnY

Hi all,

I have recently found, that an one Chinese supplier have an watch with real flying tourbillon and on the back side there is rotor. Price is ridiculously high if you compare the non rotor version to this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dixmont-Centre-Tourbil...=item29feef529f

20101027134451.jpg

My question is, is this the same Sea-gull tourbillon movement but somehow they have been able to attach an rotor to it or it is an completely new movement ? Asking because one time, Skatche has bought an tourbi rep watch, what have made an review of it here, but the rep watch was without rotor (but the gen watch had rotor). So I was looking for Chinese rotor tourbi watches, and I haven't found any, until now ;)

Is this new or old stuff ?

greg_r

Not seen 'em in a rep, no. Bearing in mind that rep tourbys are never going to be that close to the gen (simply due to the different style of tourbillon), I'm not sure that the small matter of handwind vs. auto is really worth worrying about that much ;)

KeNnY

thanks for answer ;) it is just that I have noticed that there were no reps with rotor :D thought that the movement doesn't exist

greg_r

Yeah - I remember seeing it somewhere a while back. For the life of me I can't remember who actually makes it, but yes, it's a fairly new movement...

KeNnY

but it is an Sea-gull movement no ?

omni
My question is, is this the same Sea-gull tourbillon movement but somehow they have been able to attach an rotor to it or it is an completely new movement ?

Is this new or old stuff ?

EDIT: KENNY (Referring to pictured you OP'd up top):

The Dixmont pictured in the OP is not a Sea-Gull ST82, it is a Dixmont-Guangzhou DG8101. Both are center axis tourbis, both are automatic, but the DG is manufactured by Dixmont, a manufacturer latecomer of the Chinese tourbillons. The reason we probably don't see these in a rep. is both movements are fairly expensive from the manufacturers. The carousel tourbi movements are still reasonably priced from the manufacturers so they can be used in reps.

Link to CHINESE TOURBILLON WIKI.

Link to DIXMONT-GUANGZHOU WIKI.

Dendo

I ordered a tourbillon from Mary yesterday - it will be hand-wind and I am really okay with that - as Greg says givn the complexities and the differences in the movt. it is a fantasy watch and is quite different from the JLC it is based on. Skathe's review is great.

I will post pics when I get it - will be a Seagull hand wind tourbillon.

trailboss99

Sure it's a Sea-Gull (note correct spelling of Sea-Gull)?

Most reps use the Liaoning 5010 as it's much cheaper than the rest. Still a good MVT tho.

Col.

theflyingdutchman
I ordered a tourbillon from Mary yesterday - it will be hand-wind and I am really okay with that - as Greg says givn the complexities and the differences in the movt. it is a fantasy watch and is quite different from the JLC it is based on. Skathe's review is great.

Which one? And did you get garantee?

Dendo

JLC tourbillon - black face - gold plated. Not on her website btw.

I have bought watches from Mary before. She is reliable. What guarantees were you thinking of?

theflyingdutchman

I have bought watches from Mary before. She is reliable. What guarantees were you thinking of?

Hi, I got 2 years with my 3 tourbillon watches! Got a pic for us of the JLC....

Aren

Do any dealers here actually give a quarantee?

greg_r

All the dealers offer guarantees on normal price (i.e. not wholesale) deals - although they vary from dealer to dealer - and sometimes dependent on the watch itself.

It's worth checking when you order.

omni
Cheap flying tourbillon automatic wind on Ebay $264 USD. What do you all think, hard to tell if its real or just open-heart because its so ornate???? It appears genuine to my eyes. Trailboss: Would this qualify for a Liaoning 5010 with a rotor (its got the characteristic 4-screw design)?

Dendo

Hi, I got 2 years with my 3 tourbillon watches! Got a pic for us of the JLC....

That's not good. Oh well - life is short. Skathe's watch is still going and he has had it for quite some time I think (2 years+ ?).

3 watches total life span of two years......really not good - that's a real bummer.

greg_r
Cheap flying tourbillon automatic wind on Ebay $264 USD. What do you all think, hard to tell if its real or just open-heart because its so ornate???? It appears genuine to my eyes. Trailboss: Would this qualify for a Liaoning 5010 with a rotor (its got the characteristic 4-screw design)?

Nope - that's the movement used in the cheapie Glashutte tourby rep (which makes this looks expensive as I think Robert had the Glashutte for about $150). It's fairly convincing as the 'tourby' does actually rotate, but it's not a proper tourbillon movement.

omni
Nope - that's the movement used in the cheapie Glashutte tourby rep (which makes this looks expensive as I think Robert had the Glashutte for about $150). It's fairly convincing as the 'tourby' does actually rotate, but it's not a proper tourbillon movement.

Thanks Greg, back to the old adage, "If it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't."