Sign in to follow this  
Degsy1880

Vintage ammo strap is irritating my wrist?

Degsy1880

Hi Guys

A while back I had a vintage ammo strap hand made for my pam 111 by a strap maker off another forum. Love the strap and looks well on my pam. I wore the strap a few times then as you acquire other wristies then you tend to rotate then stick to one for a bit and so on. Anyway dug the pam out of the box the other week and been giving it some wrist time but its really irritating my wrist to the point its makes it sore and red and very itchy to the point i cant wear it. could it be something on the leather I have other straps that are fine? would it have anything to do with the vintage smell of powder from the leather (as it was an ammo pouch)?

Is there anything I can use to clean the inside of the strap to try and stop this irritation as like I say i like the strap. if if cant stop the irritation then it will have to go

cheers

D.

Degsy1880

8491f246dc0432f717e1c1677aa898d7.jpg

bff9ef61ea0482a79246a716185b9843.jpg

e365ccccfad3f8af0742ddcf79fab878.jpg

75b0d20e654af06700453d1e9b1a7770.jpg

Here's the watch and offending strap

D.

Phizzy

If there's any sort of finish on the strap, it could be that, or as you say it could well be the leather itself.

Maybe look for some sort of leather sealant like fiebings snow proof, which will actually create a barrier as it waterproofs.

TheInthusiest

The first time I put on a good quality leather strap (custom hand made... Etc) my wrist was pretty ichy for a while, then it settled down.

I don't know... Maybe you are undergoing a prolonged irritation stage than I am or you have an allergy to the tanning/leather used.

Degsy1880

Cheers for the replies. Can't wear it now as wrist too itchy and sore

ccrsvo

Same thing happened to me. My wrist got so irritated I had to stop wearing for 2 month. Had to sell it off. Put the strap it came with back on and no problems. I thought it may have been something with the dye process. Makes me weary of buying from another dealer to have the same thing happen.

fry9847

coat the inside of strap with clear nail varnish pref one thats acrylic as will move with the strap when it on,hope it helps,very nice strap btw :giggle:

Degsy1880

cheers fry good plan might give it a go :-)

D

69-Watch

Sell it, it can never be fixed! Bad Mojo!

By the way , how much for the nice strap? :)

Degsy1880

think i paid £80 from tootall straps on RWI yours for £40 + PP

McJules

What Phizzy and HeavyKrush said.

Either resolene or snow proof wax will do.

You have 3 strapmakers here giving you advice ;)

Degsy1880

I haven't tried that resolene but I have tried another leather waterproofing a friend gave me and i still cant wear it? tried a couple of things JohnG advised also. but I'm happy to give them two a go before moving it on.

D.