Sign in to follow this  
T0T0

What is it about Audemars Piguet that you find so appealing?

T0T0

I know that personal taste is a huge part of our hobby, but APs just don't do it for me. Judging by the number of them on M2M, I have to believe that there are lots of AP fans here.

Can the intelligentsia help a n00b such as myself understand what I'm missing? Is there something specific? I'd love to acquire some knowledge (and perhaps an appreciation) for the brand.

Thanks

Simms

I'm not sure what you like and don't like at the moment. The only thing I can guarantee you is that your tastes will evolve. As you spend time browsing different pics of watches you'll slowly start to garner an appreciation for something that you once disliked. That appreciation will grow into liking it and then BAM, you need to have one!

Unavoidable...just give it some time. :)

The Guy

I can't see myself ever getting into AP or Hublot.

Realism

it's expensive and i want to be a rapper

Ishmael

Real's cynicism notwithstanding (and not without merit), when I first joined up here I thought APs were among the ugliest watches available, and I was mystified at how people fell all over themselves for them. But like Simms said, my tastes evolved, and while I wouldn't say I'm an AP fanatic (still a lot of ugly versions out there), I became quite taken with the Don Ramon, with its rose gold, brown, grey color scheme. Also finding one was a bit of a quest, which made it more fun (I like hard to find watches it seems). The Don is all I need as far as APs go, so I suppose for the non-AP fan, one or two might strike your fancy, and believe me, that's all you'll need. Also, the plethora of color combinations compels some people to get one in every color (can't blame them, I'm that way with vintage Daytonas). Again like Simms said, its about taste, and taste evolves. Also like Real said, you may just want to be a rapper.

myaz

First. they have a cool sounding French name.

Then, there's the history. The original RO was designed in 1972 by G.Genta as his crowning achievement. It saved AP from going under as the model became most successful. It was inspired by a diver's brass helmet and takes the name from famous ships in the British Navy. That name in turn was linked to King Charles II. It is notable that Genta had designed watches for Omega and Patek among others as well.

They have in house movements and the distinctive Grande Tapisserie dials. The 8 screws on the bezel are functional, imparting water resistance. The original 5402 is a prized collector's item. Many say that they are not as rugged as the submariner but they have a different elegant appeal.

AP has since introduced a bewildering array of variations (53 different men's RO's are available currently, not counting the Offshore collection). However, I'm not impressed by and deplore the vanity models such as Barrichello, Shaquille O'Neal, etc.

RUSH2112

I like the dress watches but the ROO does nothing for me. My question is what do you see in the watch in your sig?

Dorian84

I just like the designs, different to classical watches...the genta design really stands out! A bit avantguard maybe (ROO's excluded)

Daywatch

How about:

- gen-like feel and weight on the AP SS Diver and the Ap15400 :)

- eight screws on an octagonal bezel inspired by the portholes on the HMS Royal Oak battleships/ seafaring associations

when You like them, the looks of course :ttiwwop:

AP_0419.jpg

ap_0608c1.jpg

Ap_2413cr.jpg

APLUME_1798c_zpsd843f9c9.jpg

Realism

Genta will be rolling in his grave if he knows about the AP15400... it's purettty obvious AP made it 41mm to be in tune with the bigger dick watch market

N.Rico

maybe you have the same problem that i have with hublots .

but APs ....wow you must have one first and them you can tell .

T0T0
My question is what do you see in the watch in your sig?

Great question. Short answer; I love the simplicity of the design.

I made the one in my sig with Adobe illustrator so I could make a wall clock using my vinyl cutter, (which turned out pretty decent). afb17dfb14bf648f8d46d7aa2ad7deb1.jpg

I then turned the graphic into a working clock using flash. Finally, I turned it into the GIF below and animated the second hand to perpetually turn at 10:10. All just for fun.

T0T0

Great answers guys, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks much.

RUSH2112

I made the one in my sig with Adobe illustrator so I could make a wall clock using my vinyl cutter, (which turned out pretty decent). afb17dfb14bf648f8d46d7aa2ad7deb1.jpg

I then turned the graphic into a working clock using flash. Finally, I turned it into the GIF below and animated the second hand to perpetually turn at 10:10. All just for fun.

Nice work on the wall piece.

T0T0

Nice work on the wall piece.

Thanks Rush. This pic was of an early attempt, note the wrong second hand. The first one I made was too heavy and the clock motor wouldn't lift it past 6 o'clock so I had to cut it down. I kept it for a couple days but just couldn't live with it. Once I got the counter balance right I replaced it with one more accurate.

Simms

I like the wall clock, interesting idea you got there. When are putting together a how to? :)

T0T0

I like the wall clock, interesting idea you got there. When are putting together a how to? :)

I guess I'll have to make another clock and a how-to at the same time. Maybe I'll give the new one away on the forums if anyone would want it?

Soopah Spy

When I first joined here, I didn't get Panerai's at all... now I own one and two more on the list. LOL! As for AP's I like the slimmer ones (Original-style Royal Oaks) as dress watches, it gives a feel and a vibe that is contemporary but classic all at once, and it's different from the standard rotating-bezel sport watch (think submariner.) But it's also not the hoy-ti-toy classic lines of your traditional dress watches like ALS or PP or Breguet... The Royal Oak, for me, is in between all of those. It's different, but also good.

Daywatch

Some impressive cut-out graphic work on the B&R - with the lead theme of 8 screws as well:)

Btw, this was the original design:

gerald-genta-sketch.jpg

TK01

The only reason I started to like AP diver one day is because of the Lume on them. I didn't even care for the brand, although I did notice the case shape of all AP's looked appealing to me . When I first get my AP Diver V6 to me it stunned me how heavy and legit it was as far as a watch. Also the feeling a got looking at it when it was on my wrist was between a Lambergini and F-22 Raptor :) two things I love the shape of. The diver makes u feel u feel just like that !! And the best part is the strap and wtch it's self is the most comfortable watch I have ever owned ! And trust me I am very very picky what goes on my wrist as far as bracelets and straps. Sometimes after you' buy so so many reps you hve try to randomly something different for no particular reasons also just because a watch looks a certain way on pictures does not give its full potentials when it's life in person much different !

C8383889-2B32-4B86-BA17-A666DE812163.jpg

54F7D6A8-247F-44A6-A101-E56803EDACF5_1.jpg

319769BF-0CF0-44A6-A269-0546716FDDBE.jpg

T0T0

They're starting to grow on me now. Shit.

TK01

Old picture from a sale just look @ the shape !!

DA6C6714-187C-4ADF-9C64-F54C9F82F280.jpg

nyckid

A lot of nice/poetic answers on this thread. It all boils down to a thing, and one thing only:

AP users unconsciously reflect a part of their body (it applies to ladies as well) and an intangible trait of theirs; confidence and a big-swinging cock! So, OP, step aside and let the grown ups do the "grown up" thing!!! ;)

On a more serious note, though, it is an acquired taste and an appreciation for the story behind the beginnings of such design. Nothing really ordinary. Whilst, others prefer a more conservative design/model, we prefer the more manly ones.

Poolsfinest

I never thought much of the brand until I was lucky enough to visit Wimbledon this year. I was sat right behind the players box and one of the tennis coaches had an AP ROO rubberclad on. It had so much presence on his wrist. Lots of research and joining RWG later...

As others have stated.

Brand exclusivity, not many people will have seen one before.

A sports watch with something different to the sub/Seamaster style.

A myriad of dial, strap and material options.

Nisv

Millenary 5.

reloj-audemars-piguet-millenary-264657-large-1.jpg

I'll only ever get to see it through a window though :(