Sign in to follow this  
T0T0

What is it about Audemars Piguet that you find so appealing?

chats

only like the RO the dial, thin case and the distinctive case made it so attractive i think :D

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

Complete an utter AP fanatic and fruitcake writing here so i'll try and be objective......

3 Gens soon to be 4... and 22 amazing reps...

To some they are an acquired taste... To some it's love at first sight......

They have real presence on the wrist and the quality mix and use of materials are poetic and beautiful...

For many, seeing them on the forums ,conditions them to the style and they start to develop an interest ...

Then there is the brand association, who and what sports AP sponsor and whether you relate to the image the brand create...

Then that first time you try one on.... You just get it.....

and of course some don't.....

For me... i just don't get Patek's and Hublot's ..... but I love my Pams....

So in conclusion it's our differing tastes that give us the amazing array of spectacular kit we see on the forums...

Lastly.... the quality of some of the recent AP J12 reps is obscenely close to Gen...

Pavo

I to wasent sure about AP's when I joined the forum and to be honest never heard of the brand until I joined rwg and that is what's great about the forum asking questions, reading and learning about new brands. My taste has changed in the very short period I have been here.

I came to the forum looking for a rolex yachtmaster in blue which I have not even brought yet ha. I now prefer Pam's to Rolex. An AP will be my next purchase though. I am thinking of getting the Royal Oak 44mm White panda from J12.

Thanks

rogdog

I didn't much like APs when i first joined. But like the others say you might just develop a taste for it once you are exposed to it more. I still don't like some of the AP ROOS but i can definitely appreciate them all !

Harry1234

Agree with the previous post, it's not all APs that I find attractive only certain models and it's the same with e.g Rolex. I don't like the YM2 (too funky) and prefer original explorer over the new one. However certain brands just don't appeal to me like Panerai (hate the crown guards).

It's all a matter of personal taste, values and preferences which is why this hobby is so fascinating!

Edited by Harry1234

northantsrich

Simple. They are some of the best super reps around. If they made some other brands as good as they do those mentioned above I am sure those would me more popular.

The Guy

Simple. They are some of the best super reps around. If they made some other brands as good as they do those mentioned above I am sure those would me more popular.

This is probably a chicken/egg argument. The factories likely put the extra effort into APs bc they are so popular. That, and there seems to be a lot of parts interchangeability between models which makes higher quality more possible by allowing for economy of scale.

Haltec

Gotta agree on this one.

Not much of a AP fan, but when you see what they achieve regarding rep quality, it become appealing.

ANDMAN.ELLIPSIS

Gotta agree on this one.

Not much of a AP fan, but when you see what they achieve regarding rep quality, it become appealing.

On the ROO's apart from the age old issue of the small date wheel positioning..... which in my opinion is minor as we have to remember... it is a rep...

The finishing is that good it's a hard call between Rep and Gen...

How amazing they can rep a 30k watch..... To perfection....at 1 60th of the price....

Martijn0007

In my opinion AP makes a few great looking pieces.

The Diver is great looking and very close to gen, and the Royal Oak is just a classy piece.

I don't like the Offshore models and in my opinion they are overrated and overpriced. I can't justify paying 500$+ on a replica with a movement that's known to have problems.

And, most importantly, I don't like to look of them.

Most importantly, every man should buy what he likes ;)

BentleySharp

At first, like you, I didn't care for Audemars watches. I still dont care for their 'Offshore' series, but there is something inherently attractive about Gerald Genta's groundbreaking design for the Royal Oak series, starting with his original design in the Ref. 5402 series A, B, and then C, and then the 15300 and finally the larger 15400.

It's a watch that is undoubtedly masculine but at the same time elegant. It's rugged and stalwart, but at the same time delicate. It's a masterwork of composition, arrangement, and spatial placement that attracts itself to something in our very nature. Something deeper than just a watch. It's a reflection, and a physical manifestation, of something in our character and our being.

It took the visionary genius of Mr. Genta to be so in tune with these aspects of human nature that he could create such a handsome watch that appeals to so many people at such a base level.

IMG_3259.jpeg15400OR_OO_1220OR_02.png

Ant0702

I came to the forums looking for a Daytona rep; truly did not like the AP. Wound up buying a forged carbon based on its construction, closely followed buy a steel diver. As soon as you hold the Diver and see it in the raw you get the attraction. My favourite watch now.

anfalas

I totally agree that your tastes change, especially hanging around here!!

AP's though will never be for me. Most of their divers look like plastic toys and the dress watches just don't have enough class to compete with other brands that do modern dress watches so much better.

.......and you do realise the more you guys make them so damn popular the more you're gonna get stiffed on the price!! :lmao:

oh, and for those that claim they make yer balls bigger, well you can just suck my 15" cock ;)

Edited by anfalas

Left Coast Guy

Yeah, I don't really get it either. I've got an AP Diver and its nice enough, but I don't really love it by any means.

I always thought, Sly picked Panerai, so Schwarzenegger picked Audmars Piguet....and that's how we got here today!

I will probably get a Safari someday though...those are pretty to me for some reason.

plankton

I'm not sure what you like and don't like at the moment. The only thing I can guarantee you is that your tastes will evolve. As you spend time browsing different pics of watches you'll slowly start to garner an appreciation for something that you once disliked. That appreciation will grow into liking it and then BAM, you need to have one!

Unavoidable...just give it some time. :)

And there you have it!!! Truth in action! :pull:

machiavegli
Some impressive cut-out graphic work on the B&R - with the lead theme of 8 screws as well:)

Btw, this was the original design:

gerald-genta-sketch.jpg

Wow I've never seen Genta's original artwork for AP & PP before. I'd love to buy these as a poster but I think my wife would send me to watchaholics anonymous.

BTW that homemade B & R wall clock is really cool.

+1 on evolving tastes.

My objection to AP is inflated rep prices. Nearly every decent one is over $600 new, while many super reps in other brands are half that. A stupid seconds subdial relocation with reliability issues doesn't justify it.

-Mach

ronin007

Not much anymore,had 12 at one point,sold the lot bar the panda and safari

Baldrick

How amazing that they can rep an AP RO Dual Time 26120OR.OO D88CR91 ............ with a fully functional 2nd time zone / 24 hr function / fully functional power reserve / fully functional date and fully functional day / night indicator....for not much more than £150.00........imitating the $30K gen....slightly larger...slightly thicker........but such a rare beastie ...who the hell would notice ?

The love for AP is something that develops over time and thru' the experience of trying other brands before you come to AP...once you try an AP........you realise it's the overall build quality and construction...whether you're referencing gen or rep...........the reps are just so close to gen....!

APCOMPLICATION1-1.jpg

APROOQP29_7_12_Gcopy.jpg

APMAY1-1.jpg

AP's are particularly nice in 2-tone versions.......tho' I'm not into the JayZ diamonds...there's also a wealth of different models available in their range....not just ROS and ROOS.!

425AUDEMARSPIGUETJAYZEE3-1.jpg

WEMPE....the inspiration behind the Diver.........this rep was first made 10 years ago...!

195APWEMPESS3.jpg

CITY OF SAILS

APROCOS4.jpg

ALINGHI

442AUDEMARSPIGUETALINGHI1-1.jpg

AP MILLENARY TOURBILLON from approx 8 years ago...!

AUDEMARSPIGUET22.jpg

AP MILLENARY PERPETUAL CALENDAR from approx 10 years ago

AUDEMARSPIGUET28.jpg

AUDEMARSPIGUET27.jpg

And my favourite at the moment..........................it's not correct because absence of date wheel...but I prefer the absolute simplicty of the dial on this.........date wheel interferes with the balance of the dial......I have it in gold and stainless steel...................beautiful watch...!
20141025_234044.jpg

And the only one of it's kind in existence.....a 2 tone AP Diver...... :D

APTTcopy.jpg

George.

20141025_234044.jpg

Such an elegant piece, I so dearly wish these were more widely available..... Or available at all! Seems impossible to find them nowadays... I'd kill for a SS version

Baldrick

Wot...?.....even without the date ?

APDRESSCHRONOMETER012-1.jpg

George.
Wot...?.....even without the date ?

APDRESSCHRONOMETER012-1.jpg

espicially without the date! I am taken with the more symmetrical look of the dial... Really wonderful piece... And superb photography as always!!

Baldrick

Yep...like-minded.....it's the simplicity...... it feels really special when you wear it :D

JSJ

It's a great thread to browse through, thanks.

Over a year into reps, I still don't have an AP. Nothing took my fancy.

It's all about tastes isn't it? I started by liking Omega, IWC and Breitling. Those are what I still buy and Wear having roamed around quite a few brands. Maybe I already developed my tastes before I found out I could have more or less any watch.

Bought a few subs and Daytonas. Don't wear them. DSSD and Explorer II get an outing from time to time but having started out not wanting a Rolex, basically I still don't like them.

I love it that you guys are waxing lyrical about APs. The history is fascinating. I'll try one one day when one comes up on m2m at the right price.

George.

Certainly is a special beast !

Reminiscent of the classic Audemars

imagejpg1_zpsf4ce669a.jpg

Robin195959
I know that personal taste is a huge part of our hobby, but APs just don't do it for me. Judging by the number of them on M2M, I have to believe that there are lots of AP fans here.

Can the intelligentsia help a n00b such as myself understand what I'm missing? Is there something specific? I'd love to acquire some knowledge (and perhaps an appreciation) for the brand.

Thanks

I'm sure Status Quo fans will say all their songs aren't the same!!!