Sign in to follow this  
thombhoy

What's a reasonable length of time for a watch to be repaired?

thombhoy

Purchased this watch from a TD in July...

0ffcd34aff38c2522a83f9317527ad1c.jpg924c1f66b84441a7f8694771c40fb4a4.jpg

...and was well happy!

Only wore it two or three times and the stem had snapped (didn't overwind or anything, it just "went")

I contacted the TD who was as much help as a chocolate fire guard.

So I was recommended a rep friendly watch-smith.

I took my watch to them at the beginning of August and that was the last I seen of it øŸ˜ª

I've been fobbed off countless times, but the best one was when they said they couldn't source the parts. Fortunately I had already sourced the parts and handed them over because it would now be sorted easily!

I was told last week the watch was repaired and I'd recieve a call at the beginning of this week to pick it up... The call never materialised!

I actually said to the owner last week "look see if you've wrecked it, lost it, whatever, just tell me cos at least I'd know and could move on" but I was told "no, it's here blah blah blah"

Sorry to drone on guys, but someone just agree with me, it's a goner isn't it?

Edited by thombhoy

plankton

Thats clearly to long IMO. My deal is always be nice but ask. I'd start politely asking pretty frequently at this point.

D_Chico

Oh wow..that's a bummer bud :(

That's definitely too long! Parts for that movement are readily available and don't take long to order and come in at all!..I hope it all works out for you! Definitely get the watch back if you can..are you in the US? Or across the pond? Let me know I can guide you in the right direction either way if the watch still needs repair after you get it back ;)

Good luck bud!

BadPickle

:facepalm:

If you'd have done your homework, you'd have known that a stem replacement is an easy fix and you could have probably done it yourself with a few small tools and a little patience.

How much have you paid this person? Are they a member here?

thombhoy
Oh wow..that's a bummer bud :(

That's definitely too long! Parts for that movement are readily available and don't take long to order and come in at all!..I hope it all works out for you! Definitely get the watch back if you can..are you in the US? Or across the pond? Let me know I can guide you in the right direction either way ;)

Good luck bud!

I'm in Glasgow.

I honestly don't think I'll see it again and so much time has passed, I'm obviously pissed off, but just going to have to put it down to a bad experience.

It was a good looking watch too, my first Panerai.

thombhoy

If you'd have done your homework, you'd have known that a stem replacement is an easy fix and you could have probably done it yourself with a few small tools and a little patience.

Mate, I read and read and read and ordered the parts/tools to do it myself and was going to give it a go, but I've got literally no spare time between juggling work and two young kids I opted to have someone do it for me.

They gave me a quote of how much it would be to fix it and I agreed and would square them up on collection...

Onionbag on here recommended the repair shop... (By the way, I'm not in the slightest blaming him)

BadPickle

Mate, I read and read and read and ordered the parts/tools to do it myself and was going to give it a go, but I've got literally no spare time between juggling work and two young kids I opted to have someone do it for me.

They gave me a quote of how much it would be to fix it and I agreed and would square them up on collection...

Onionbag on here recommended the repair shop... (By the way, I'm not in the slightest blaming him)

Apologies mate, I think my post came across a little more harsh than I meant it to. I think your next step is to become a nuisance for the smith. I would start to ring every day, or twice maybe. If you start to irritate the dude, then he'll want rid of you and the only way that'll happen is to give you your watch back.

If/when you get it, pm me if it's still bust and I'll fix it for you. :D

thombhoy

Apologies mate, I think my post came across a little more harsh than I meant it to. I think your next step is to become a nuisance for the smith. I would start to ring every day, or twice maybe. If you start to irritate the dude, then he'll want rid of you and the only way that'll happen is to give you your watch back.

Some man! I really appreciate that offer.

I've just noticed the bold Onionbag hasn't been on in a while...

The shop was in East Kilbride. Maybe just a coincidence

MetalMickey

Thinking of doing a bit of non trusted watch smithing yourself now?

:rofl:

dfq23

Bloody tinkerers!

rusky27

What about just turning up to them as far as I know it's a shop/premises is that not the case - or do they send it on to another shop in glasgow? I'd find out and do the personal touch and regularly visit to try and badger them. Worth a try as a phone call they can give the rubber ear, but if they think you won't go away until you get your property back they should tire and give up or at least get closure.

Derek Mc

Yip,

I know the one too, I would just go up, ask for the watch back as it sounds weird as if they are avoiding the issue?

Walesy

This rings a bell actually, I was told not to take it to place in EK due to their watch smith. Correct if I am wrong, but pretty sure they were a member on here??

rusky27

I think that's crossed wires walesy what I heard was haz interveined for a members watch from the smith and then buggered it up. I think.

Walesy

I think that's crossed wires walesy what I heard was haz interveined for a members watch from the smith and then buggered it up. I think.

As far as I know, the watchsmith the shop I n EK were using was Hazz also mate. Hang on till I check my PM's

Walesy

This was from PM's I had from another member, I will just state also it was not Onionbag. QUOTED TEXT: Especially at the moment as I'm not sure I'd use the place in EK for anything complicated now, due to one of their "watchsmiths". QUOTED TEXT: I wouldn't mate. The so called "watchsmith" I mentioned in my earlier post as being the reason I wouldn't use the place in EK is Hazz.

rusky27

Jing's I was thinking it was just bazz's pam incident, I stand corrected walesy - hopefully this isn't the case and the op can get his goods back from the shop though.

Walesy

Jing's I was thinking it was just bazz's pam incident, I stand corrected walesy - hopefully this isn't the case and the op can get his goods back from the shop though.

Yeah when I read it and when I seen where the OP is from, then the info I got.... I put 2+2 together, I hope I got 16 and this is not the case and resolved for the OP's sake.

andyboy

Op

I would go down to the shop and speak to them in person.

The problem you describe should have been an easy fix.and if not fixed when you pick it up then there are members here that can point you in the right direction.

Rusty2801

Hmmmm. This sounds like a Hazz intervention. Happened to me at the same shop.

thombhoy
What about just turning up to them as far as I know it's a shop/premises is that not the case - or do they send it on to another shop in glasgow? I'd find out and do the personal touch and regularly visit to try and badger them. Worth a try as a phone call they can give the rubber ear, but if they think you won't go away until you get your property back they should tire and give up or at least get closure.

I live in Clydebank, so EK isn't really next door...

Yeah when I read it and when I seen where the OP is from, then the info I got.... I put 2+2 together, I hope I got 16 and this is not the case and resolved for the OP's sake.

Fingers crossed lads but I don't hold out much hope.

Was Hazz just plain stealing the watches, or was he just trying to fix them and making an arse of it?

Walesy

He was removed from the site mate(and rightly so from what I learned - Admin & Mods are on the ball on here) due to holding watches people sent him for repair, Derek's apology in the other thread relates to this.

Edited by Walesy

thombhoy
He was removed from the site mate(and rightly so from what I learned - Admin & Mods are on the ball on here) due to holding watches people sent him for repair, Derek's apology in the other thread relates to this.
Aye, I seen this.

Cheers

andyboy

Lets not make this out to be another Hazz thread please.

Contact the shop,they are who you are doing business with.You can`t assume that Hazz has anything to do with your watch at this time.

cheers

thombhoy
Lets not make this out to be another Hazz thread please.

Contact the shop,they are who you are doing business with.You can`t assume that Hazz has anything to do with your watch at this time.

cheers

no bother pal