Sign in to follow this  
grb

What's wrong with my plan?

grb

I recently sold a treasured item from my collection, and due to poor eyesight I hadn't noticed an issue with the hands, anyway I issued a refund and received it back. I've upgraded the hands and a new sapphire crystal and decided to replace the movement and have been looking for a cosc 6497 and know I'm going to have to pay approaching £300.

Yesterday I'm watching "flog it" and there's a Rolex pocket watch with a fabulous movement that sells for £150, should I be looking for something similar or stick with the 6497?, and if so what movement do I look for?

I've read and goodled it but I can't get a feel for the direction to take

Is this a good plan or am I being f.. stupid

Genius

I think the only way you will pick one up for that price is if you happen to stumble into an auction where that particular lot was not well advertised so there's not many people bidding against you.

The problem is if its not well advertised how will you know to be there.

Pseudonym

There are a lot of great movements out there mate. I'd drop irate03 an email for some info as he'll know more than most when it comes to vintage PAM builds. some of the Cotebert movements I've seen him use are really lovely.

Paparolf

Just make sure mate that you do not get Yodel to deliver anything you may buy :giggle:

Cheesemonger

Gerry,

Was it a 618 rolex? I wonder if the bridges are correct and the seller did not know what they had. You can go with a cort616 also. This is the one that I am going to use the bridges on that I received from you (if I can get the machining done the way I like).

image_zps0bc4e449.jpg

grb

Gerry,

Was it a 618 rolex? I wonder if the bridges are correct and the seller did not know what they had. You can go with a cort616 also. This is the one that I am going to use the bridges on that I received from you (if I can get the machining done the way I like).

image_zps0bc4e449.jpg

That is the biz

peteins

Hey I saw that on flog it, I can't believe that movement sold for so little! I had a look on ebay after and for the movement alone I was more than that! that buyer got a bargain!

genoint

A lot of people also use molnija 3601 or 3602 which has the same look. They don't have shock protection so a lot of people prefer 6497 with a closed caseback. Especially if you don't know how to swap movements yourself. A vintage 6498 can be had on ebay for around $40. If you need sub seconds movement a vintage 6497 is harder to find.

Edited by genoint

Left Coast Guy

If you're going to do it right, go with the Cortebert....name at least has some watchmaking cred behind it.