drrod

Trouble with GMT hand

drrod

I just received a GMT PO. I got it from a TD here. It looks great and keeps good time. However, the GMT hand does not move when the watch is running. You can set it normally with the crown and it moves with the hands when you turn the crown. However, it only moves, with the crown, at half speed. ie. it only moves a half hour for every 360 degree sweep of the minute hand and does not move at all when the watch is just left to run.

It is not that big of a deal to me since I don't use the GMT function at this time. I missed the fact that it only went at "half speed" when using the crown when I looked at the QC video (my bad).

Anyone have any ideas? Sending it back is not an option since it costs close to $50 to send it back from here. If it starts to bug me enough I may just have to send it for servicing.

Thanks

Rod

Hornet

I've not got a GMT but the GMT hand should move at half the pace of the hour hand? If it's not moving at all when the watch is running that is a fault. Where are you based? If Europe then you've got SSTEEL and UK watch Services here....

....I don't like the idea of sending watches back to China, so if it's a keeper I get it repaired locally.

flyr

GMT hands are supposed to move at half the speed.

Try doing one of these and see if it helps

Setting the A2836 GMT

If the watch has stopped or is showing the wrong time.( like when you get it)

1. Unscrew crown

2. Gently pull out crown and stem to 3rd position (time setting)

3. Turn crown CCW to move main hands FORWARD to desired time. (try not to move hands backwards at any time)

4. Push stem in.

5. Gently pull out crown and stem to 2nd position (date and GMT setting)

6. Turn crown CCW till the GMT hand is where you want. The GMT hand only goes backwards in time so don't worry. There is a detent at each hour that you will see that the GMT hand wants to stay at.

7. Turn the crown CW to set the date.

8. Push in crown and screw down the crown (remember to turn it backwards till you feel the threads match up)

If the watch is running and you want to change the position of the GMT hand but the date is OK

1. Unscrew crown

2. Gently pull out crown and stem

3. Turn crown CCW to set GMT hand where you want.

4. And this is the important one

Turn the crown CW a bit till you see the date shift a tiny bit. ( this ensures the GMT setting gear is disengaged)

5. Push in and screw down crown

If for some reason the GMT is lagging or shows the wrong time for some unknown reason

1. Unscrew crown

2. Gently pull out crown and stem to 3rd position

3. Turn crown CCW to move hands forward through 24 to 48 hrs. and set at correct time

4. Push in crown

5. Gently pull crown and stem out to 2nd position

6. Turn crown CCW to set GMT hand

7. Turn crown CW to set date (even if you have to go through the whole month)

8. Push in and screw down crown.

The bottom line is, the last thing you should do before screwing down crown(besides the backwards turn to line up threads) is to see the date shift a tiny amount.(to make sure the GMT setting gear is disengaged)

I don't know if it makes a difference with the 2836 movement but to be on the safe side, Don't change the date between 9pm and 3am.

Hope this helps. (now you know as much as I do about them)

flyr

Ahew9391

I have several gmt's and they all move in half hour intervals as they are telling a 24 hour time compared to the usual 12 hour marks.

drrod

Thanks. Iwill give this a try and see how it goes.

Rod

Setting the A2836 GMT

1. Unscrew crown

3. Turn crown CCW to move main hands FORWARD to desired time. (try not to move hands backwards at any time)

4. Push stem in.

6. Turn crown CCW till the GMT hand is where you want. The GMT hand only goes backwards in time so don't worry. There is a detent at each hour that you will see that the GMT hand wants to stay at.

8. Push in crown and screw down the crown (remember to turn it backwards till you feel the threads match up)

If the watch is running and you want to change the position of the GMT hand but the date is OK

1. Unscrew crown

Turn the crown CW a bit till you see the date shift a tiny bit. ( this ensures the GMT setting gear is disengaged)

If for some reason the GMT is lagging or shows the wrong time for some unknown reason

1. Unscrew crown

3. Turn crown CCW to move hands forward through 24 to 48 hrs. and set at correct time

4. Push in crown

The bottom line is, the last thing you should do before screwing down crown(besides the backwards turn to line up threads) is to see the date shift a tiny amount.(to make sure the GMT setting gear is disengaged)

I don't know if it makes a difference with the 2836 movement but to be on the safe side, Don't change the date between 9pm and 3am.

flyr

SSTEEL

Bravo Flyr, great post mate :)

flyr

Thanks SS!

conx

Setting the A2836 GMT

1. Unscrew crown

4. Push stem in.

1. Unscrew crown

1. Unscrew crown

4. Push in crown

flyr

This is the best explanation of how to cure a slipping GMT hand I've seen. The tip on how to disengage the gears via nudging the date is golden and new to me (a GMT addict!).

Thanks for posting.

flyr

I don't think it will cure a watch with a really weak GMT pressure washer under the dial, but usually one of the methods will get the watch running(at least for a while,for me anyways) :thumbsup:

drrod

I followed flyr's great instructions and it now runs fine. The slight rocking of the crown, after setting the GMT, until the date jumps is the trick. Given that it is geared to run a "half" speed, I set the bezel to the time in the other time zone I want to keep track of, and it tracks it on the 24hr scale.

Thanks for the help flyr.

Rod

flyr

Glad it worked for you!

Hornet

I love a happy ending :lol:

D_Chico

Flyr flew in to rescue! :lol:

Great job bud!

Glad to hear all is well now :)

flyr

I have had a few GMT's pass through my hands and most of the time I include a copy of the A2836GMT setting sheet that I made up when they sell.(saves a lot of headaches at my end)

I've seen part of the setting instructions posted elsewhere but I figgured a more complete set would be helpful.

Not Quite Dead

+1 for the happy ending, it brought on a smile. Seriously well laid out post I am going to try it all I have to do is buy a watch with a GMT hand - cos I need another watch on my list I really do.