Sign in to follow this  
Todkavonic

Blancpain fifty fathoms strap bar screw

Todkavonic

Haaaaaalp!

One of the screws has gone missing. I've searched the web, emailed the TD (no answer yet), purchased and then modded a Panerai screw bar/screen (with partial success), and even emailed Blancpain for a replacement...no luck...or at least no response. The bar is 29mm long. It's 1.4 mm wide and the screws are 1.6 mm wide. The thread on the screw is .9 mm wide. The Panerai one is ok but, despite my tinkering, it sticks out about a mm on each side. Does anyone have any idea how I can get a hold of a suitable replacement? I don't care so much about how it tightens, in fact, the Allen wrench setup is prone to stripping, and, with frequent strap changes, has been giving people some grief.

Thanks!

Todkavonic

Waipio Jeff

Have you tried using fat spring bars?

Todkavonic

I have and it works but poorly. It would do in a pinch, say on vacation or something. Tomorrow I'll try a couple jewelery shops and maybe a watch repair place to see if they have anything. If I ever get my hands on a proper replacement, I'll apply some non-permanent loctite to keep it in place.

Daywatch

On the day I got the Torx-T3 drivers and screwed the lugbar out I tried 22mm/2mm thick gen-spec rolex springbars from Cousins.Uk (£ 3 +-) I had lying around and they have been in since (several months and with at least 4-5 strap-changes). They are strong/ they hold they fit. Work perfect as the BP has lugholes and You can just push in the (strong) pin.

Would order those and done (O. Frey if in the USA).

Have read about others fitting 23mm spring-bars as well. The original bar and screws are stored away and brand-new if I ever decide to sell it or never again change the strap.

bp_0563c.jpg

Todkavonic
Have you tried using fat spring bars?

Wait. Thick? No. I'll give it a go. Thanks to yourself and daywatch for the advice.

Todkavonic

So, for posterity, here's what happened: I ordered some very nice swiss stainless extra wide spring bars from o.frei and, while I waited, ordered some "fat" 22mm Seiko bars from Amazon. The o.frei bars fit great length-wise but we're too narrow at the nubbin not to eventually work their way through. The Amazon/Seiko bars filled the gap, barely, and not quite enough for me to feel to confident in them. I visited a local watch repair guy who spent a good twenty minutes trying to find an appropriate spring bar...bullet nose, he kept mumbling...but no luck. He did find a screw which fit perfectly for the original screw bar...but it was pretty much exactly the same caliber as the bar itself. Bummer. I was unable to find a 23mm fat seiko bar or a bar at o.frei which was wider at the tips, I guess I could've called and maybe could've spoken with someone, but didn't. I ended up, here's the punchline...finally, I ended up buying some seiko-like fat spring bars on ebay. They've just now arrived from Australia and they fit! The 24mm fatties fit. $7.

If I had known what a pain in the butt this whole adventure was going to be, I woulda kept a closer eye on the original. Oh well, lesson learned.

Daywatch

Glad You sorted it out. I´m still changing straps and mine rolex-type thick springbars are still holding strong.

BP50F1024_0774c.jpg

greg_r

Bumping an old-ish thread, but the strap bars on my recently acquired FF were cross-threaded and I ended up having to cut them off. I tried various solutions, but finally ended up with a set of 22mm PAM spring bars, which are a near-perfect fit and also look the part. The faux screw head ends up slightly recessed, but not enough to look wrong - and strap changes are now a breeze. I'll be sticking with this solution.

It's also worth mentioning that 22mm Seiko fat springbars also fit securely and do the job just fine - they just don't look as good as they don't fill the ends of the lug holes the way the PAM springbars do.

Dajeilus

Bumping an old-ish thread, but the strap bars on my recently acquired FF were cross-threaded and I ended up having to cut them off. I tried various solutions, but finally ended up with a set of 22mm PAM spring bars, which are a near-perfect fit and also look the part. The faux screw head ends up slightly recessed, but not enough to look wrong - and strap changes are now a breeze. I'll be sticking with this solution.

Do you have a link for the ones you got?

I'm going to be placing an order for an FF soon and would like to be prepared.

Thanks

greg_r

Thanks

They're available all over the place. eBay, Panatime, WatchObsession (UK) and others. Not hard to find. They're available in 22, 24 and 26. It's 22 you'll need.

Dajeilus

Thanks

They're available all over the place. eBay, Panatime, WatchObsession (UK) and others. Not hard to find. They're available in 22, 24 and 26. It's 22 you'll need.

Found 'em thanks. Sorry, should have done a search before asking :suicide:

mgnyc11

Thanks for this info.

umblackbear359

I'm still holding out hope of finding a replacement screw. Has anyone tried ofrei's?

I'd be willing to buy the bars off of someone for those who prefer the Panerai look. heck, I'd trade 2 of my feux screw panerai fatty bars for 1 original.

Thanks,

Ben

Edited by umblackbear359