Sign in to follow this  
1_klean_watch

Social Status and Rep Watches

1_klean_watch

Hello

I have been on RWG forum for a really short time, but have been reading about rep watches for about a month. I'm also on RWI, which isnt as important, but from my reading some members talk about see younger people with an AP RQO or some other watch and automatic think fake. Does age matter in passing your rep watch as gen watch. Also, does your social status matter, meaning your job and what not.

As for me, I'm 26 and I work for a bank in the US in there lost mitigation department. I consider myself some what successful. I'm not rich, but not poor by anymeans. I have enough to take of obligations and enjoy some of the roses in life.

So what does everyone else think about this: Does your social status (ie:job, clothes, etc) matter, when wearing rep watches? Whats does everyone else do for living and how old are you?

cigator
Hello

I have been on RWG forum for a really short time, but have been reading about rep watches for about a month. I'm also on RWI, which isnt as important, but from my reading some members talk about see younger people with an AP RQO or some other watch and automatic think fake. Does age matter in passing your rep watch as gen watch. Also, does your social status matter, meaning your job and what not.

As for me, I'm 26 and I work for a bank in the US in there lost mitigation department. I consider myself some what successful. I'm not rich, but not poor by anymeans. I have enough to take of obligations and enjoy some of the roses in life.

So what does everyone else think about this: Does your social status (ie:job, clothes, etc) matter, when wearing rep watches? Whats does everyone else do for living and how old are you?

I'm 51 and have 2 reps (Rolex). I also have 2 genuine rolex. I wear them interchangably and never have a problem with the reps being accepted as genuine. In fact was out for diner the other night and the owner/chef came to speak with us and commented on my Rolex. It was a rep, he had no idea and was impressed.

KBH

I certainly think how you dress and present yourself has a lot to do with it, if you wear a hugely expensive watch. But 99% of the people wont know what you're wearing anyway.

You should only wear a watch that you are comfortable enough to not even think about it while it's on your wrist.

barkingtoad

Just buy & wear what you like

If asked if its real tell the truth :bsmeter:

Baldrick

Absolutely not, it matters not one jot, how you appear, appearances are deceptive, I mean take one of our former members JoeyB, he never let anyone judge him, you can see by the smile of joy on his face, when he was wearing his "Iced out Big Bang Tourbillion" ( close on a million buxx ), that he wasn't gonna take crap from no stinkin' body, that watch was his pride and joy, he wears it with pride and he can carry it off in any company. :bsmeter:

most_beautiful_male_handsome_man.jpg

Pentax

It's not what you wear it's who wears it

Imagine a young LAD 23-25 wearing a solid gold gen rolex president and an older gentle man wearing a fake rolex president.... In your eyes who's is fake and who's is real.....

1_klean_watch

Thanks for the comments, guys. I appericate it. As for me, I would never wear something like joeyB, but anything on my wishlist is something that I know one day, I'll be able to buy the Gen model.

jojo8989

I agree w KBH, unless it is a rolex 99% of people wont know what the hell you are wearing and wont really care. Rock it, and if anyone asks, tell the truth proudly. Ive got a gen rolley and a rep, Ive got reps of watches i would never buy gen, I've got 5 dollar crackerjack watches, fantasy reps, bottom line, wear what makes you happy and forget anyone else. You don't need a watch to show you've got class ;)

Inushuk

+1 jojo

Member X

If wearing a rep and getting called out will see others judge you then in a way that is their problem - although it is also your problem if they then treat you differently at work and you are seen as some sort of social leper because "oh, he wears fakes"... I would say that those sort of people are the people whose shallow and judgemental opinions matter least in your life, although if they pay your bills it is perhaps wise to 'play the game' and only wear reps around those who won't judge you.

As above, though, hardly anyone ever notices and even less people ever comment.

seclark007

Look at it this way... You see the guy driving down the road in his BMW 535 and you think..."that guy has it made"

What you don't see is that he's leasing that car for 785 a month, lives in his parents basement and relies on Mom's homecooked meals to keep himself going.

It doesn't matter what you have, it's how you present yourself and how you feel. Others here have said it...rock the Rep and let people know it if they care to ask. Besides, anyone looking that close deserves a punch in the mouth!!!

Do you think that all those "stars" wear gen watches and jewels all the time? Oh, they may have them - in safety deposit boxes - but they're just as afraid to get ripped off and the next guy...and that's why wearing reps is ok.

Be proud, wear what you want....Fuck the rest!

nunu78
Look at it this way... You see the guy driving down the road in his BMW 535 and you think..."that guy has it made"

What you don't see is that he's leasing that car for 785 a month, lives in his parents basement and relies on Mom's homecooked meals to keep himself going.

It doesn't matter what you have, it's how you present yourself and how you feel. Others here have said it...rock the Rep and let people know it if they care to ask. Besides, anyone looking that close deserves a punch in the mouth!!!

Do you think that all those "stars" wear gen watches and jewels all the time? Oh, they may have them - in safety deposit boxes - but they're just as afraid to get ripped off and the next guy...and that's why wearing reps is ok.

Be proud, wear what you want....Fuck the rest!

+1

andygt

Wear what you like as no fucker ever notices anyway.

Status my arse - anyone can buy a gen on a credit card if they really want to.

Aren

In the words of a great 20th Century philosopher ...

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss

My other feeling is...

If outward experience is required...inner experience is not possible.

If inner experience is achieved...outward experience is not necessary.

So...you don't really need the watch, you only need to be yourself...

for when you are...

it is always gen and what you are wearing doesn't matter. :lol:

Just an aside because this seems to be an issue for some of you...

It's funny...People asking if something is "real" are looking to make a judgment call. Not just about what you are wearing, but about you. Explaining is the same thing as apologizing. What, if anything do you owe someone in the way of a response??? This is a rude question, and a reply to such a question is inviting being dressed down. The quality of what you are wearing is none of someone's business. You are not defrauding them by not giving them an answer to which they are not entitled. Therefore, my feeling is to deal with this in one of two ways...

1) If someone asks if it is real..."yes". The answer is "yes." Obviously it is real, it is tangible...you are wearing it. This is different than asking if it is Gen.... then...change the subject.

2) There is also the classic deflection: (a)"What do you think?" and (:lol:"Why would you ask such a (impertinent) question?" Then change the subject.

Most people will have sufficient manners and social graces to not revisit the topic because you have warned them that they are asking questions which are none of their business.

I am not an advocate of telling lies. These suggestions will help you to be truthful, but avoid uncomfortable and insolent questions. Just some suggestions to help you feel more confident wearing your lovely watches. I am sure some members will have different opinions and different advice, but take it or leave it, but wear what makes you happy and don't be intimidated by rude questions.

mondeov6

+1 to Aren and others! I buy reps simply because I like them. I wear them for the same simple reason.

Question: Is it real?

Answer: Oh no!.... It's just a bloody good tattoo!

:lol:

Brightlight

I love these threads. People buy gens for status. But forum members who buy reps of these gens aren't interested in status, they buy them for........er.....other reasons. Yeah right!

If you think you buy them because you like them or you're interested in watches, think again. You would buy hommage or cheaper gen watches if that was the case, much simpler, trouble free and legal. And just as nice or interesting.

Is it a prerequisite of rep collecting that you have to fool yourself as well?

mondeov6
I love these threads. People buy gens for status. But forum members who buy reps of these gens aren't interested in status, they buy them for........er.....other reasons. Yeah right!

If you think you buy them because you like them or you're interested in watches, think again. You would buy hommage or cheaper gen watches if that was the case, much simpler, trouble free and legal. And just as nice or interesting.

Is it a prerequisite of rep collecting that you have to fool yourself as well?

I for one do buy hommage and other cheap watches also for the simple fact.... I like them. Reps are interresting and fun items to collect.. and as I said I buy them simply

because I like them. The circles I move around in could not care less about status, so if I were to buy them for that reason... yes then I certainly would make a big fool of myself!

About my reasons to collect reps/watches....think again BL,..... maybe I am telling the truth or am I just another fool? :lol:

greg_r

BL: sorry mate, but that's a hopeless generalisation. I'm sure it's true for some folks, but it certainly ain't the case for everybody.

I buy watches to please myself - not for some soggy perception of 'status'. Hardly anybody ever notices what watch I'm wearing and who the fuck outside of these forums and a handful of WIS knows what the hell a Panerai is anyhow? :D

Brightlight
BL: sorry mate, but that's a hopeless generalisation. I'm sure it's true for some folks, but it certainly ain't the case for everybody.

I buy watches to please myself - not for some soggy perception of 'status'. Hardly anybody ever notices what watch I'm wearing and who the fuck outside of these forums and a handful of WIS knows what the hell a Panerai is anyhow? :D

So why not buy hommages? Cheaper and just as good Can you honestly say it's not the Panerai name that swings it for you?

I know it's a generalisation but I do feel we kid ourselves about our motives. For example, I buy Mercs because I believe they are generally well put together and I've been a fan for donkey's years, but I can't say that three pointed star is meaningless.

greg_r

So why not buy hommages? Cheaper and just as good Can you honestly say it's not the Panerai name that swings it for you?

I know it's a generalisation but I do feel we kid ourselves about our motives. For example, I buy Mercs because I believe they are generally well put together and I've been a fan for donkey's years, but I can't say that three pointed star is meaningless.

I do buy homages - but the sterile dials are sometimes TOO sterile (90% of the appeal of, say, the mini egi for me is the dial), and there aren't always good quality homages of the models one really likes - I've yet to see a sterile Fiddy or 6154 that come even close to the quality of my reps...

Del

I believe that there is a status thing associated with men's watches. I've often heard that car salesmen will look at your watch in an attempt to determine your financial standing - no idea if that actually happens though.

Through my work I am in contact with many very wealthy business folk and most of them wear nice watches - the usual suspects like Rolex, Panerai and Omega. Whether they are all gens are not I couldn't say but because I am aware of their wealth I therefore assume that they are gens.

One such (very, very) wealthy guy that I met a few weeks ago (and who was sporting a DSSD) made a nice comment about my PAM111 that I was wearing. He didn't question whether it was gen or not and I didn't feel it was necessary to advise him that it was a rep. Whether or not he suspected it was a rep I will probably never know. Did I feel good about the comment though? Hell yes :D.

Does that mean I only buy reps for the brand name on the watch? Not really because I actually just really like the watches themselves and 99% of people either never notice them or just don't comment on them. But, I must be honest and say that I also do get a kick out of people thinking that they are gens :D.

Mik

Yep, Del, watch and shoes tell more about your taste than any other thing.

I mean, you can wear a suit to try conformity in some situation, but these will tell your real taste and status, because it is more likely that this reflect your personality.

On the other hand, I think BirghtLight is very true. It might be as serious as trying to fool anyone else pretending to be rich or just as innocuous as dying your hair, because you like it better that way.

I think that being too obvious on any of them is uncomfortable…

prestigewatchco

If you have to analyse why you buy reps then in all probability you are buying them for the wrong reasons.

The people who have the fun out of this hobby are the people who buy a watch for what it is and for the fact they like it.

The people who fart about worrying about 0.000002 of a mm difference from the Gen are the ones who have a reality problem and buy a watch because they want to convince firstly their selves and second portray an impression of wealth,

Problem becomes serious when they start believing they can afford to buy gens and only buy reps because they are better.

There is far more elitists in the replica watch hobby than there are outside the hobby in respect of watches.

mondeov6
If you have to analyse why you buy reps then in all probability you are buying them for the wrong reasons.

The people who have the fun out of this hobby are the people who buy a watch for what it is and for the fact they like it.

The people who fart about worrying about 0.000002 of a mm difference from the Gen are the ones who have a reality problem and buy a watch because they want to convince firstly their selves and second portray an impression of wealth,

Problem becomes serious when they start believing they can afford to buy gens and only buy reps because they are better.

There is far more elitists in the replica watch hobby than there are outside the hobby in respect of watches.

Well said!

Aren

Well, alot has been written here overnight. This must be a sensitive topic and lots of opinions have been expressed.

I got myself the PAM's because I can see the dial and read the time. I can't see the words on the face...and Damnit Brightlight, now I am disappointed...you mean the bears aren't going to be impressed by my lovely rep watches??? Well, now that I am hooked, I would like to get some more watches, but any would need to be a men's watch I can see. Too bad about the bears though. I thought I might be more accepted in their circles with nice watches.

By the way fellas I would like to share some things with you. Mik is correct about wealth perception and the shoes. I will share with you some secrets. These secrets are for dealing with the very rich and are taught in law schools, so if interested, or if you have no choice but to be with, or interact with wealthy people, pay careful attention:

There are 2 rules for financial dealings with the very rich:

1) Don't invade the corpus (body) of an asset. (That is... it is ok to use the interest just not the principal)

2) NEVER, EVER wear brown shoes after 5 PM

There are three rules for entertaining the very rich:

1) No children at the dinner table.

2) No match making, and

3) NEVER, EVER...show slides

So guys, if you are with a bunch of rich snobs...learn these rules...otherwise, just be yourself and be happy with who you are and what you have. ::rofl::

intheseshoes.jpg

In these shoes?....I don't think so....

I doubt you'd survive ::gday_mate_haveabeer::