Sign in to follow this  
mondeov6

Small problem with Asian Unitas 6497 hand-wound

mondeov6

One of my homages have developed a small problem lately. When I want to set time

the hands will not move when I turn the crown backwards. They only move when turned

forwards. Winding works fine. The movement is an Asian Unitas 6497.

Is this an easy fix that I (with limited knowledge) can fix myself, or should I sent it to someone for service?

If I do nothing is this likely to cause more trouble later on?

Anyone?

greg_r

Calling Col, Brightlight or Sconey!!!! :D

Brightlight

Sounds like your crown is loose on the stem. An easy fix but one where you risk messing up the famous keyless works. Keep turning it backwards and see if the crown comes completely off the stem, which is likely. If so, you need to take out the stem (slacken off the stem holding screw a turn and a half or thereabouts and remove the stem. Then holding the threaded piece with a pair of needle nose pliers, put a dab of locktite on the end, screw the crown back on and tighten up (just with fingers). Replace the assembly and tighten up the stem holding screw. But you have been warned about the keyless!!!

mondeov6
Sounds like your crown is loose on the stem. An easy fix but one where you risk messing up the famous keyless works. Keep turning it backwards and see if the crown comes completely off the stem, which is likely. If so, you need to take out the stem (slacken off the stem holding screw a turn and a half or thereabouts and remove the stem. Then holding the threaded piece with a pair of needle nose pliers, put a dab of locktite on the end, screw the crown back on and tighten up (just with fingers). Replace the assembly and tighten up the stem holding screw. But you have been warned about the keyless!!!

Yep,... I think you are spot on BL. I have not removed the CG but when I turn the crown backwards it does endeed seem to be loose. I will try with the CG off later.

Sound a bit risky to try to fix this myself since I am totally clueless of keyless. If I do not dare, would you care to take this one on BL? Would be much appreciated if so!

Brightlight

Yep,... I think you are spot on BL. I have not removed the CG but when I turn the crown backwards it does endeed seem to be loose. I will try with the CG off later.

Sound a bit risky to try to fix this myself since I am totally clueless of keyless. If I do not dare, would you care to take this one on BL? Would be much appreciated if so!

Yes no problem, very quick fix. Just drop me a PM if you want to send it to me.