Sign in to follow this  
mzbanjo

Which factory is this?

Lagger

Probably BP as Josh don't stock noob models

mrbobdobalina

I think I have read that the Asian movement is often times more reliable than the ETA

Not true. In most cases it is not worth spending extra $ for the Swiss ETA over the Asian ETA clone.

RichardMiami

I think I have read that the Asian movement is often times more reliable than the ETA

Not true. In most cases it is not worth spending extra $ for the Swiss ETA over the Asian ETA clone.

Here is the bottom line.. paying for a "swiss" movement does not mean you will get one. It just means that you will pay more.

The dealers sell the watches based on what the factories tell them. They seldom (if ever) verify the actual movement. Further, as you note, the Asian clones are very reliable (with a few exceptions - search for "seconds @ 6 - so why waste the money?

RichardMiami

also..this is NOT a review.. moved to GD.

Left Coast Guy

Ugh, you may need to read some more if that's your take.

If there is any definitive take on the subject of Swiss vs Asian, it would be to say ETA stopped selling movts in large quantities to anyone but verified customers 3+ years ago, so there is no chance rep factories are getting ETA movts. When you pay for Swiss, you are getting either a refurbished Swiss movt with some Asian parts or an Asian movt stamped to look Swiss. In practice, I'd guess rep collectors are split on whether Swiss (as used today by dealers) or Asian is better, but given its a crapshoot what the dealers get from the factory AND the dealers don't open case backs to check, paying for Swiss is largely not worth it.

Personally I've ordered two Swiss that checked out as Swiss and both had issues; every Asian 2824/2836 I've had has been perfect the replacement movts I've bought from Asian suppliers have been great as well. I'd choose Asian over rep Swiss anyday

Mike 1108

Interesting questions - Some of them I have just asked in another post...

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=92750

Let's see what information come from the more knowledgeable guys - some of the members have followed the process of the manufacturing of our reps fully.

Let's hope more info is forthcoming.